Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 Z06 vs 96 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Good info, I will tell him into look into doing this.

Not lifting the throttle and just a quick stab of the clutch.

Thats an example of my driving. Foot to the floor the whole time. Clutch pushed maybe 1/2 way down...hence the syncro snag on the 3/4 shift you can hear.

Originally Posted by Heater
Sucks about the Getrag transmissions not being able to handle the abuse, they are similar to the one's used in the Supra's and those are damn tough.

Friend of mine has been into his twice; this last time, he had a friend that has access to a machine shop modify parts from the Supra transmission to work in the 5.0 transmission.

Now granted, he races the hell out of his car and his is a early 2011 model.
Thats exactly what ill be doing.. luckily a close friend of mine owns a speed shop and has various machining tools to make/modify parts for it.

Originally Posted by adamantium
Damn that sucks man, ive heard the same about the k-series transmissions for hondas i hear most of the reason why the trans's get fucked is cause of the stock clutch. Just get a light *** twin and build it with some goodies. I really can't understand how those things are so weak, those 5.0s aren't really the torque-ist things out there.
The actually shafts and gears are quite strong... but all the little nick nacks arent.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I think the Supra ones were made in Germany and the Mustang ones in China. All of my friends with 5.0 sticks have broken theirs but of course they run tires,are modded etc...
They are made in china... I cant really even blame ford for using this transmission. Its a badass trans. It even costs quite a bit of money (more then a 6060magnum)... so its not even that they were being cheap. Unfortunately the fact that they were assembled in china is not working out (a short cut on getregs fault)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Teching In

The zo6 is mine. It had a host of problems we found after this race. We're gonna re run it sometime soon and post the video. I was only able to turn it to 6000rpm so it was alot closer race than it should've been.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Get it on vidd!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

In for vid
Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sn8k chmr
The zo6 is mine. It had a host of problems we found after this race. We're gonna re run it sometime soon and post the video. I was only able to turn it to 6000rpm so it was alot closer race than it should've been.
You should post up the vids of you and pauls 03 cobra... the 96 mystic out ran the 03 that beat your car. so it couldnt have had to many issues that was effecting it. lol

Quick Reply: 02 Z06 vs 96 cobra