Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock C4 Corvette (M6) vs 2012 V6 Mustang w/catback + tune (A6)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Vette
I've been debating since I bought it if I'm going to mod it or not, but chances are I will keep it stock because I'm hopefully going to sell it when I get out of college and buy an old Zr1
If you are dead set on getting a ZR1 in the near future after college, keep it stock.

If you know it is realistically a handful or more years without overextending yourself, add some LT's and exhaust and enjoy it!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stumprrp
Those C4 vettes are no joke. Bone stock my buddies 94 went 13.7 at 104. Now it has a LE2 383 with stock 3.42 gears and went 11.0 @ 127 with slicks and skinnies at Cecil. Crazy fast car.
I still haven't been able to get mine to the track (it's 2 hours away, and closed for winter), but I've heard of people even running low 13's bone stock with just slicks. Your friend's car sounds badass!

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
If you are dead set on getting a ZR1 in the near future after college, keep it stock.

If you know it is realistically a handful or more years without overextending yourself, add some LT's and exhaust and enjoy it!
I'll probably end up keeping it stock. I figure I could sell my car for maybe 7 grand, and hopefully engineering school pays off and I have a bit of extra cash after college to buy a ZR1, which look like they're around 20grand. I just think it would be an awesome car to have; they're rare and pretty quick even by today's standards
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Background: A kid at school has a brand-new V6 Mustang, he's a freshman (college). I wondered how he could afford it, he said he inherited money and bought it new. I thought to myself, why not buy an 03-04 Cobra or a late 90's cobra and have money left for mods?

The Kill: We were just out driving with a few other cars so we didn't really get the most organized race, it was also from around a 65 roll which kinda sucks, especially because I have to start in the bottom of third. I just waved him to go, and I chased. He pulled a half-car ahead before I hit it. We went to around 110, and I was ahead by about a car length before slowing down. We both had a passenger.

He claimed he was making 330 crank hp (to my 300), so I attribute my win to being slightly lighter and him having more powertrain loss.

I tried to race an E46 M3 after but there was too much traffic, I probably would've lost anyway
From what I've seen with the GTs, those cars don't have a big parasitic loss, and considering their dynos of about 260-270rwhp in a V6... I wouldn't suspect big losses either. Sounds like you might have just lucked out somehow. How big was his passenger? LOL Was he driving with Precious?

It is weird to think my old vette can barely keep up with a V6.... but that's the world we live in now. I need mods!!!! Or a C4 ZR1
Definitely need to mod up? LT1? LT4 hotcam it.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Nice job!!

Best sleeper C4 is a 96 six speed....LT4!
Agreed.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Nice kill!

I'm a big fan of the new V6 Mustang. I'd love to build one as a project someday, but there are a few cars on the list first.
I'm a fan of the V6 ones too. I was surprised at how decently quick they are for a V6. They are def. faster then the V6 Camaros, etc.

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Yeah I think they're round 230ish rwhp stock. And w/o forced induction there is 0 threat.
About 260rwhp. They are 0 threat to LSx guys without forced induction. With a few boltons, they can get up to where they can be a serious threat to stock LT1s.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by odthetruth

About 260rwhp. They are 0 threat to LSx guys without forced induction. With a few boltons, they can get up to where they can be a serious threat to stock LT1s.
Oh damn, thanks for the correction, I must have been thinking of g35's or something lol
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

its still a v6 pony car which will never appeal to me..even if they stop making v8 pony cars
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

From what I've seen with the GTs, those cars don't have a big parasitic loss, and considering their dynos of about 260-270rwhp in a V6... I wouldn't suspect big losses either. Sounds like you might have just lucked out somehow. How big was his passenger? LOL Was he driving with Precious?

Definitely need to mod up? LT1? LT4 hotcam it

I'm a fan of the V6 ones too. I was surprised at how decently quick they are for a V6. They are def. faster then the V6 Camaros, etc.

Haha his passenger wasn't big, Vettes curb weight is about 3250 and I think the mustang's are around 3400. Don't forget, his car was an auto = more drivetrain loss.

If I get a cam I would probably get the XFI 466.

I hate to say it, but the 5th Gen is struggling to keep up with the new Mustang. The 300 lb weight difference sucks.

It scares me that V6 cars are getting to fast. The Mustang, the Genesis, even the Camry SE's are quick now!

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
its still a v6 pony car which will never appeal to me..even if they stop making v8 pony cars
Agreed. There's nothing like V8 torque and sound.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
Agreeed!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM

With a few boltons, they can get up to where they can be a serious threat to stock LT1s.
We bust my brother's ***** about that all the time, lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Nice kill.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Teching In

What does he drive?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still haven't been able to get mine to the track (it's 2 hours away, and closed for winter), but I've heard of people even running low 13's bone stock with just slicks. Your friend's car sounds badass!

I'll probably end up keeping it stock. I figure I could sell my car for maybe 7 grand, and hopefully engineering school pays off and I have a bit of extra cash after college to buy a ZR1, which look like they're around 20grand. I just think it would be an awesome car to have; they're rare and pretty quick even by today's standards
Engineering should definitely pay off? Mechanical? Electrical? Civil? Industrial?
Tell him to hook up the spray - problem solved!
What does he drive?
His brother drives a 94 Z28 to my knowledge. Full exhaust, 3.42s, pulley, DRs
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a xfi 466 cam in my 93 formula and love it I think you will if you choose to go that route. An awesome kill.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Engineering should definitely pay off. Mechanical? Electrical? Civil? Industrial?

His brother drives a 94 Z28 to my knowledge. Full exhaust, 3.42s, pulley, DRs

Mechanical major, with sort of a side-focus (not quite a minor) in Electrical, just to keep my knowledge broad.

Sounds like that would be a good race for me He would kick my *** from a dig with DR's though, but from a roll it might actually be close (but I'd still lose by a little I think)

Originally Posted by zboy2012
I got a xfi 466 cam in my 93 formula and love it I think you will if you choose to go that route. An awesome kill.
I've been meaning to talk to someone with that cam. From what I've heard it doesn't have much lope (which is good for me) and has better power gains than the Hotcam. Is that true? I know "streetable" is a relative term, but how streetable is it compared to stock?

Originally Posted by 420aNAPOWER
Nice kill.
420A powahhhh!!!! Runnin' good like it should?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mechanical major, with sort of a side-focus (not quite a minor) in Electrical, just to keep my knowledge broad.

Sounds like that would be a good race for me He would kick my *** from a dig with DR's though, but from a roll it might actually be close (but I'd still lose by a little I think)
ME is definitely a good major. I know several guys who will be graduating from Iowa State in ME making $65k+ their first year out of college, which is really good for Iowa.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been meaning to talk to someone with that cam. From what I've heard it doesn't have much lope (which is good for me) and has better power gains than the Hotcam. Is that true? I know "streetable" is a relative term, but how streetable is it compared to stock?
I would say to focus on headers and supporting mods like that before looking at a cam any larger than a hot cam
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Teching In

I would say to focus on headers and supporting mods like that before looking at a cam any larger than a hot cam
Yeah I know, I've just been trying to figure out what cam would be good for me, if any. If I do mod this car, I'm saving up enough money to do it all at once. Heads, cam, headers, all valvetrain things, new optispark, etc. I don't have the resources to do it myself, and I'd rather not pay extra labor to have the engine removed more than once. Just gotta do it right the first time and that will be the only time.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been meaning to talk to someone with that cam. From what I've heard it doesn't have much lope (which is good for me) and has better power gains than the Hotcam. Is that true? I know "streetable" is a relative term, but how streetable is it compared to stock
Yes you heard right about it not having much lope, and I personally think it has better power gains than the hotcam my dad had a hotcam in his wasn't impressed with it like he was with mine after the swap. An as for streetable I daily drive it (other than whenit's snowing or raining haha) and I think it does great, so for with what your looking for I think you'll be happy with it. I know I am.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

The gas mileage must be pretty good, but this kid's exhaust sounded terrible, like a fart-can Civic or something. It's hard to get a good sound out of V6's sometimes.
I heard a car similar online. Oddly enough, we threw some flows off my old mans old mustang and it doesn't sound raspy or like the old motors, which sounded awful. This car def sounds good.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I know, I've just been trying to figure out what cam would be good for me, if any. If I do mod this car, I'm saving up enough money to do it all at once. Heads, cam, headers, all valvetrain things, new optispark, etc. I don't have the resources to do it myself, and I'd rather not pay extra labor to have the engine removed more than once. Just gotta do it right the first time and that will be the only time.
I would try to find a local who knows how to do it well. I am awful with working on cars and don't have the patience to learn or the tools to do so. I was lucky and met a really knowledgeable guy through the car scene who had worked on numerous LT1's and we became friends. Now neither of us has a toy car, but he is currently doing 2 turbo builds for other mutual friends and they are looking great so far.

Helps to find somebody you know willing to charge you cheap amounts on labor and just feed them some good food and they're good to go.

I'm not sure what local shops you have out there as far as tuning goes. Worse case scenario, send off the pcm to pcm4less and you should be golden

I don't think you necessarily need heads for your goals, but do whatever is in your budget. I think you would be happy with full exhaust, intake, and possibly gears on that thing. Cam only if you want a bit more fun. Don't know how much gears run for C4 crowd. Don't bother with intake manifold or throttle body. Most guys only do so for max effort builds. Several guys running perfectly fine times on stock lt1 intake manifold and throttle body. All depends how you want to use your money
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zboy2012
Yes you heard right about it not having much lope, and I personally think it has better power gains than the hotcam my dad had a hotcam in his wasn't impressed with it like he was with mine after the swap. An as for streetable I daily drive it (other than whenit's snowing or raining haha) and I think it does great, so for with what your looking for I think you'll be happy with it. I know I am.
Nice. I've been researching a lot lately, I'm glad you verified that this is a good cam. What else do you have done to your car? Also, what valvesprings are you using?

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
I heard a car similar online. Oddly enough, we threw some flows off my old mans old mustang and it doesn't sound raspy or like the old motors, which sounded awful. This car def sounds good.
Hmmm interesting. It's amazing how different exhausts can make the same car sound so much different. I'm a big fan of the deep rumble, not necessarily very loud just deep.

I would try to find a local who knows how to do it well. I am awful with working on cars and don't have the patience to learn or the tools to do so. I was lucky and met a really knowledgeable guy through the car scene who had worked on numerous LT1's and we became friends. Now neither of us has a toy car, but he is currently doing 2 turbo builds for other mutual friends and they are looking great so far.

Helps to find somebody you know willing to charge you cheap amounts on labor and just feed them some good food and they're good to go.

I'm not sure what local shops you have out there as far as tuning goes. Worse case scenario, send off the pcm to pcm4less and you should be golden

I don't think you necessarily need heads for your goals, but do whatever is in your budget. I think you would be happy with full exhaust, intake, and possibly gears on that thing. Cam only if you want a bit more fun. Don't know how much gears run for C4 crowd. Don't bother with intake manifold or throttle body. Most guys only do so for max effort builds. Several guys running perfectly fine times on stock lt1 intake manifold and throttle body. All depends how you want to use your money
I don't know of any LT1 people in Mass, although there must be someone around somewhere. If I do mod, it's not going to be for 2 years anyway, so I have plenty of time to think about what I want to do. I ultimately want my car to be able to keep up with bolt-on 5.0's and other cars in that range, so hopefully 380-400whp with a little weight reduction could do that. I think I'd need heads for that lol.

Quick Reply: Stock C4 Corvette (M6) vs 2012 V6 Mustang w/catback + tune (A6)