Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 Cobra vs. Viper, 03 Cobra & cam only Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Do you ever have anything objective to say?

Not if I can help it
Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
Not if I can help it
they are accustomed to a cobra with more power and torque-to -weight ratio losing.

it happens OCCASIONALLY, and it becomes the norm on the internetz.

just like all of the 500rwhp ls1's out there. they are everywhere.

not defending a cobra. it could be any car in this discussion without a LS1.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cravinmohead22
I have yet to find one yet. Before I was ported, I usually put 3+ cars on a health cam only car. 401whp on a mustang dyno

Since ported, The H/C car is usually about the same. The TQ really helps with these cars.
Originally Posted by Cravinmohead22
I'm not saying they don't, I'm just saying I have not seen one yet.

I agree about posting numerous videos that we know nothing about. One of the cars in the video could have a 100 shot and say its H/C only.
Originally Posted by 2K1 SVT
+1 I am yet to see one of these crazy heads/cam set ups. Most of the guys that own 03/04 cobras seem to have more money than talent so that'll attribute to some of the losses. A properly set up ported cobra should be over 500whp .

The only LS1 that has given me trouble was a cam only 400whp notch foxbody that weighs around 2700lbs I think. I was dead even with him too (hopefully Corey still has the vids). I really wouldn't be afraid of a heads and cam LS1 unless it had major weight reduction....
Originally Posted by 2K1 SVT
Still waiting to see these magical LS1's I keep hearing about. I make around what a pullied cobra does in the vid and you see what I did to that Camaro. And I don't see an F-body weighing less than the 400whp cam only fox I ran unless its gutted.
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Maybe an all out HCI LS1 build might keep up with a ported/ pullied Cobra, but not your average HCI LS1. This has just been my personal experience though, as I have ran one before
Vast majority of the time it takes a solid 50Rwhp advantage going for the Cobra for it to be a damn good race between a Cobra/Fbody.
An Ls1 should have zero problem breaking the 400Rwhp mark cam only on a normal every day setup... The more thought out setups will near 42XRwhp. That would put the cobra needing roughly 47XRwhp for it to be a neck and neck race, most pullied Cobras I have seen make in this ball park.

A normal H/C ls1 shouldn't have an issue hitting 44X-45XRwhp easily.. That would put the Cobra needing 49X-50XRwhp.

H/C/I should clear 46X+Rwhp.... The nicer setups should have zero issue hitting 47X+Rwhp... Take into consideration that the nicer setups even making the same Rwhp are going to out perform the TSP setups and you would see why a ported/pullied Cobra would be walked by a H/C setup.

It is much easier to swap some pullies, CAI, and a tune, then send a blower off to a sponsor to get it ported and make 5XXRwhp. It isn't so easy, in comparison to buy a set of heads to match to a cam, and intake to match the heads, etc etc... IT gets a bit more complicated.

It is a general rule of thumb, even Ford sites, that it takes roughly 50Rwhp to run side by side with an Fbody... 65Rwhp to run side by side with a Zo6..

01Zo6.. 445ish Rwhp.. AFR 205s, 22X/23X .600 112 cam, stock ls6 intake, full exhaust, CAI, underdrive pulley 10%... This car still had a lot left in it.
03 Cobra.. 515Rwhp.. I believe snakebit? ported blower... 16#? A2W cooled.. CAI.. It has been a few years since he owned this car and I can't remember al the details, I remember it ran how it should and was a ported/pullied car making 515Rwhp.
No passenger in the Cobra. When you see the Cobra start "coming back", the Z had just short shifted 4th gear and was starting to slow down. The Cobra was @ some stupid high RPMs so he didn't shift into 4th, 4th gear would have got ugly.

I have many other runs with this Cobra.
My 4400 stalled auto making low low 4XXRwhp pulled it before the ported blower.. My old 346 setup in the pewter car only lost by roughly 1.5-2 lengths from a 40 roll when he was ported.. Pulled him from a dig of course.. That car was NOT a "roll car" by any means. Made a whopping 37XRwhp.... Did trap 95mph though.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference in the weight of the Cobra could be the reason why there is a 50 rwhp discrepancy between the cars, they weigh a little over 3600 pounds.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Heater
The difference in the weight of the Cobra could be the reason why there is a 50 rwhp discrepancy between the cars, they weigh a little over 3600 pounds.
Absolutely that is the reason!

I don't remember what his weighed... IIRC it was roughly 36XX-37XX. The A2W added a tad. Although I was in the Z as well.

Cobras run good, they are just heavy... And so is the reason it takes a decent bit more power to run with an fbody and even more with a Z. You see this doesn't hold true for GTOs/5th gens/CTS-V/etc...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lemons, I totally agree with what you are saying actually! Case in point: I ran my buddy's ported/pullied 03 that made a good 80 + more hp than me (plus it weighed about 200 lighter than stock, and had 3.73's as well) and while he did beat me, it still was by only a car or so by the top of 4th....with all that lol I was kind of scratching my head (doing the math and whatnot) and it just didn't add up, but nonetheless it was a very real and fair race at the end of the day. I wonder why this is. I mean the Cobra is maybe like only 200 lbs heavier right? So why it would need 50 plus more hp to pull the lead is beyond me lol

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 12-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o88xWWZVyI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYo-9jz5nok

The only cobra that has been close to that car that im aware of is an e85 FULL bolt on GT body with a cobra swap (lighter than a cobra) car made close to 5xxwhp from what he told me and from also he told me he got pulled by a fender by this F-body, f-body has an off the shelf TSP H/C package Tsunami cam with 243 heads and stock gears with a stock LS6 intake and stock TB. Oh and a 2.8 KB cobra.

Last edited by adamantium; 12-14-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the Cobra I was talking about. Remember it's about 200 lbs lighter than stock and has 3.73's.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Does your car have a cutout? your like an intake and cutout away from pulling that car.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Cobra's are just unbeatable, oh **** wait thats an all motor RSX keeping up with 2 pullied cobra. Lolwut

Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by adamantium
Does your car have a cutout? your like an intake and cutout away from pulling that car.
If you're asking me, no I don't have a cutout. All my mods are in my sig. Honestly, the tune in my car sucks IMO. Come this spring I wanna do a Fast intake with a new tune from a local well respected tuner in the area. I think those two things with a cutout would definitely make it more interesting for sure lol
Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lemons, I totally agree with what you are saying actually! Case in point: I ran my buddy's ported/pullied 03 that made a good 80 + more hp than me plus it weighed about 200 lighter than stock, and had 3.73's as well) and while he did beat me, it still was by only a car or so by the top of 4th....with all that lol I was kind of scratching my head (doing the math and whatnot) and it just didn't add up, but nonetheless it was a very real and fair race at the end of the day. I wonder why this is. I mean the Cobra is maybe like only 200 lbs heavier right? So why it would need 50 plus more hp to pull the lead is beyond me lol
You have to think... Most H/C fbody cars will end up weighing in roughly 32XX-33XX#s with no weight reduction. It is just part of the weight that is dropped during modding.
Cobras don't drop weight with a normal ported/pullied setup, maybe even add weight.
You don't have a setup that is anywhere out of the norm and you were right there.. Add an intake or keep the same intake and add a nicer set of heads and a cam better suited, you are dead even or possibly pulling. Add nicer heads and an intake, you are pulling.

It makes perfect sense and holds true 90+% of the time. General rule=50Rwhp to make it dead even with an fbody/65Rwhp for a Z.

Anything less than that Cobra gets pulled, anything more it has an advantage.
Here is the Cobra I was talking about. Remember it's about 200 lbs lighter than stock and has 3.73's.
Looks about right.. And most Cobra owners will keep stock gears.

His car is done in most Cobra owners eyes that plan on stopping at ported/pullied power... You have a lot more you could do to get power out of your setup.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

If you're asking me, no I don't have a cutout. All my mods are in my sig. Honestly, the tune in my car sucks IMO. Come this spring I wanna do a Fast intake with a new tune from a local well respected tuner in the area. I think those two things with a cutout would definitely make it more interesting for sure lol
Thats awesome, maybe a 4" flowmaster ORY will help with a 4" cutout anda new tune with an intake will definitely beat that cobra.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12
You have to think... Most H/C fbody cars will end up weighing in roughly 32XX-33XX#s with no weight reduction. It is just part of the weight that is dropped during modding.
Cobras don't drop weight with a normal ported/pullied setup, maybe even add weight.
You don't have a setup that is anywhere out of the norm and you were right there.. Add an intake or keep the same intake and add a nicer set of heads and a cam better suited, you are dead even or possibly pulling. Add nicer heads and an intake, you are pulling.

It makes perfect sense and holds true 90+% of the time. General rule=50Rwhp to make it dead even with an fbody/65Rwhp for a Z.

His car is done in most Cobra owners eyes that plan on stopping at ported/pullied power... You have a lot more you could do to get power out of your setup.
I never even considered that a modded F-body could be a tad lighter than stock. That's a very interesting point! The reason the Cobra has 3.73's is because it has a solid axle swap from a gt, so he had the gears laying around as well, and figured what the hell
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by adamantium
Thats awesome, maybe a 4" flowmaster ORY will help with a 4" cutout anda new tune with an intake will definitely beat that cobra.
Actually I was looking at a Flowmaster merge pipe, and switching the LM 1 resonator for 14419 Magnaflow muffler, cause I can't stand this current setup lol
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

I never even considered that a modded F-body could be a tad lighter than stock. That's a very interesting point! The reason the Cobra has 3.73's is because it has a solid axle swap from a gt, so he had the gears laying around as well, and figured what the hell
You know an SRA swap drops around 100lbs from what ive been told right?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

Actually I was looking at a Flowmaster merge pipe, and switching the LM 1 resonator for 14419 Magnaflow muffler, cause I can't stand this current setup lol
lol don't do it, i have that exact same setup, with the same exact muffler. The muffler is awesome but with a TSP ORY, way to raspy, the 3 inch ORY is to small. You need atleast a 4" a 4" is around the same as having 3" true duals, 3" ORY is too small even for my bolt on setup, i can only imagine your H/C car.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12

Most? How is that Without weight reduction to drop that much weight?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Most? How is that Without weight reduction to drop that much weight?
My car on the title says 3380 IIRC...

Quick Reply: 01 Cobra vs. Viper, 03 Cobra & cam only Camaro