Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3v vs. SC'd 5th gen, Nitrous LS2 GTO, Procharged Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good running 3v, what was up with the GTO? Must have been spinning?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I wouldn't say Angel's car runs like crap..not sure why one would think that?

It's probably the 2nd fastest 5th gen in ABQ..2nd to a built motor with a huge kenne bell. I did see him put almost a full second on an auto twinturbo 5th gen.

Not saying we have a bunch of fast 5th gens, but it seems to run pretty damn strong.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatMedic
Shrug, I'm sure turbo works just fine. I'm partial to superchargers, tho.

My suggestion is to stay away from the Roush M90 blower and go for something bigger like the Roush TVS2300 or the Whipple. Tho, if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably have just sprayed it. If I were going to build the short block, then I'd definitely do the blower. It's just a lot of money to spend to be limited by the relatively weak short block, imo.
Ehhh you say that, but spray really isn't cheap at all IMO... $60 refills everytime you do a few runs gets very old very quickly lol. Not to mention before a race you have to warm the bottle. I mean a good safe kit is going to end up costing you $1300 and than paying for refills just to race a few times sucks... And than you have chance alot of failures like nitrous backfires and ****. I got lucky on a few of my runs on nitrous I had a fuel solenoid stick open after I let off and flood the motor and would make it die. If it had been the n20 solenoid that stuck open the motor would have went BOOM! Another problem I had was the fuel solenoid started leaking and I was spraying alot more n20 than fuel one day. I'm sure that was not good on my motor....
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't say Angel's car runs like crap..not sure why one would think that?

It's probably the 2nd fastest 5th gen in ABQ..2nd to a built motor with a huge kenne bell. I did see him put almost a full second on an auto twinturbo 5th gen.

Not saying we have a bunch of fast 5th gens, but it seems to run pretty damn strong.
I'm not taking anything away from your car. It's pretty damn impressive, but the SS should've ate you alive, but 98% of 5th gens are just horribly set up.

I'm guessing angel only has a tvs2300 and bolt ons meaning it has less rwhp than you and weighs more. Lots of these 5th gen guys don't understand how crucial a cam is for a blower build. IMO you're just wasting your money putting a blower on the car without a blower cam.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8ty8 LS1
seems to be the case with most cars over on camaro5. i stopped going there only to check back once in a while to see if anyone is selling anything for cheap lol
90% of the builds are -throw on supercharger, boost 8psi, think im fast-

These cars require so much damn work to make run good. It's not hard but most people oversee little things. Like I just posted with a cam and meth you can get like 150-200rwhp+ over what people are making. I mean at 8psi I'm running at over 630rwhp. At 12 I'm hoping to hit 700rwhp on just blower and I have yet to tune aggressively with meth!

Most these "supercharged" camaro5 cars are making 520rwhp and none spend any money on less weight, gearing or suspension so they weigh a colossal heap and are running stock gearing through a blower.

Not trying to take anything away from the 3v. It's fast. But I just like to rant about shitty built 5th gens because people love going off about how slow 5th gens are but use only the shitty built ones to prove their point.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
I'm not taking anything away from your car. It's pretty damn impressive, but the SS should've ate you alive, but 98% of 5th gens are just horribly set up.

I'm guessing angel only has a tvs2300 and bolt ons meaning it has less rwhp than you and weighs more. Lots of these 5th gen guys don't understand how crucial a cam is for a blower build. IMO you're just wasting your money putting a blower on the car without a blower cam.

Mustang owners and their excuses
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

It looks like you've read a few threads... Blower cams are not all that essential. A stock cam is actually a good cam for boost. I'll be running my 224r on 113lsa with my procharger. Of course I'm only going to be running about 6psi until I get tranny built...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
It looks like you've read a few threads... Blower cams are not all that essential. A stock cam is actually a good cam for boost. I'll be running my 224r on 113lsa with my procharger. Of course I'm only going to be running about 6psi until I get tranny built...

You keep thinking that. Stock cam is absolute garbage for boost.

If I can get 630rwhp on an AUTO out of 8psi on a blower cam imagine what a manual can get with a proper setup on 8psi... Damn near 700rwhp if he knows what he is doing.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

90% of the builds are -throw on supercharger, boost 8psi, think im fast-

These cars require so much damn work to make run good. It's not hard but most people oversee little things. Like I just posted with a cam and meth you can get like 150-200rwhp+ over what people are making. I mean at 8psi I'm running at over 630rwhp. At 12 I'm hoping to hit 700rwhp on just blower and I have yet to tune aggressively with meth!

Most these "supercharged" camaro5 cars are making 520rwhp and none spend any money on less weight, gearing or suspension so they weigh a colossal heap and are running stock gearing through a blower.

Not trying to take anything away from the 3v. It's fast. But I just like to rant about shitty built 5th gens because people love going off about how slow 5th gens are but use only the shitty built ones to prove their point.
it also looks like hes on 22's ... cant tell

an otherwise stock 5th gen with a TVS is maybe pulling 500rwhp at 4000+ LBS...
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=2SSARME;17029965 I mean at 8psi I'm running at over 630rwhp. At 12 I'm hoping to hit 700rwhp on just blower and I have yet to tune aggressively with meth!

Not trying to take anything away from the 3v. It's fast. But I just like to rant about shitty built 5th gens because people love going off about how slow 5th gens are but use only the shitty built ones to prove their point.[/QUOTE]

I won't disagree that a blower cam is always a good upgrade.

However, AngelSpeed's car is also making over 600rwhp. I believe 608rwhp was the exact number on that day. Closer to 650rwhp these days, I believe. Just here to dispute that AngelSpeeds car runs like crap, as suggested.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I won't disagree that a blower cam is always a good upgrade.

However, AngelSpeed's car is also making over 600rwhp. I believe 608rwhp was the exact number on that day. Closer to 650rwhp these days, I believe. Just here to dispute that AngelSpeeds car runs like crap, as suggested.
Must be an ugly power band.

Very few 5th gens impress me. The only one that makes me really go WOW is dietcokes. I also like rhinos. And I'm sure camper seems to know what he's doing with his. But 98.9% of 5th gen owners are totally incompetent and building up.

Yes I'm throwing excuses out but you all know it's true.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Teching In

It should also be mentioned that ASP's car bests my ET's by 3 tenths and a few mph. But, that's close enough for anything to happen. I don't have video of all the times he has beat me, so heres another. lol

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Must be an ugly power band. What's that 3v run at the track? Low 11s?
Comparing our track times would be futile, we're at 5300ft and our DA's are generally 7500ft+. 100rwhp+ and a full second loss is common up here for cars in the 600rwhp range.

If my short block would stay together at sea level (which it probably wouldnt), it should be well into the 10's...but thats as far as I will go with bench racing.

I just don't see why it's hard to believe that a mustang with 575rwhp would beat a 5th gen with a little over 600rwhp...whilst having a good 400 pound race weight advantage. It's a drivers race at this point.

His Camaro is faster at the track, as proven by his ET's.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

You keep thinking that. Stock cam is absolute garbage for boost.

If I can get 630rwhp on an AUTO out of 8psi on a blower cam imagine what a manual can get with a proper setup on 8psi... Damn near 700rwhp if he knows what he is doing.
Lol I won't think that. I know that. You read what someone says and repeat it. Do you know what you're looking for in a blower cam? Split duration and a wider lsa.. What do stock cams have? Split duration and a wide lsa. Of course a bigger cam with higher ramp rates is going to give you more power. The specs of stock LS cams are good for blowers. Now shut it little rich boy. I'm tired of having to explain everything to you and you than saying ohhh yea your right. Actually read and learn **** or keep ur mouth shut it's that simple
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Lol I won't think that. I know that. You read what someone says and repeat it. Do you know what you're looking for in a blower cam? Split duration and a wider lsa.. What do stock cams have? Split duration and a wide lsa. Of course a bigger cam with higher ramp rates is going to give you more power. The specs of stock LS cams are good for blowers. Now shut it little rich boy. I'm tired of having to explain everything to you and you than saying ohhh yea your right. Actually read and learn **** or keep ur mouth shut it's that simple

lol whatever you say ***.

Last edited by 2SSARME; 01-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

lol whatever you say ***.
That's what I thought troll
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

That's what I thought troll
Not worth my time to type anything else out to you.

At end of day I have a running 5th gen. You have.....?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Not worth my time to type anything else out to you.

At end of day I have a running 5th gen. You have.....?
I have a car that is fast using my brain/mechanic skills and not my wallet to pay others to build my car. I probably have a car with 1/4 of the money in it and as of now has 120mph trap and is awaiting a procharger install. I could dump alot more money in the car, but the way things are going in the world I'd rather put most of it in the bank....
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Comparing our track times would be futile, we're at 5300ft and our DA's are generally 7500ft+. 100rwhp+ and a full second loss is common up here for cars in the 600rwhp range.

If my short block would stay together at sea level (which it probably wouldnt), it should be well into the 10's...but thats as far as I will go with bench racing.

I just don't see why it's hard to believe that a mustang with 575rwhp would beat a 5th gen with a little over 600rwhp...whilst having a good 400 pound race weight advantage. It's a drivers race at this point.

His Camaro is faster at the track, as proven by his ET's.
Correction factor for a n/a car is equal to about 1 tenth per 1000 in da. It's alot less than that for a boosted car......about 1/2. They don't call blowers altitude compensators for nothing.

If your blown 3v is out running blown 5th gens.....then there is something not right with the 5th gen. I mean hell....the 5th gen starts out a solid .7 faster when they leave the showroom.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Correction factor for a n/a car is equal to about 1 tenth per 1000 in da. It's alot less than that for a boosted car......about 1/2. They don't call blowers altitude compensators for nothing.

If your blown 3v is out running blown 5th gens.....then there is something not right with the 5th gen. I mean hell....the 5th gen starts out a solid .7 faster when they leave the showroom.
Yes, but it is pushing 1-2lb more boost? This could easily make up for those times

Quick Reply: 3v vs. SC'd 5th gen, Nitrous LS2 GTO, Procharged Firehawk