Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Come n get some Matt5.oh oh! 1/18/13 ***VIDS ON PAGE 10***

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
That I have done, lol. I may do the bumper supports for starters. I dont drive the car except to have fun on the weekend. so dont think the bumper covers will get to loose.
Get light weight ones. The bumpers will distort without them over time

Originally Posted by adamantium
Id do the rear, the front I THINK on our cars has mounts for the fogs. If i had a camaro id just take those ***** off. Also you can do Bucket seats. between the passanger and driver you'd be dropping 50lbs+ since im guessing you have leather interior. Also look into big and littles, that will also drop a GOOD amount of weight without sacrificing a thing.
Correct

Lightweight battery
Lightweight panhard rod
V6 front sway bar if you don't like the way the car feels with the sway bar off(I hated it on off ramps)
Kmember
Light weight front rotors
Z28 rear antenna

Like I said in the other post knock weight off that car!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Removing the filter is pointless.
your experience may prove so, but mine (with every car I've had at the strip) says otherwise. just asking if he tried it is all.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Your not gonna get to 50/50 unless you move the engine back or put the trans on the rear like a vette. I concentrated on the nose first also. You will change the percentage very little by just removing weight.
It will change... but it takes a lot. And there isnt much to pull out of the rear of a car anyway (unless its a GTO). The little bit of weight i could pull id rather have there to help out with traction. 100lbs in the tail goes a long way as far as traction is concerned.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
Ok, so weight reduction is much more debatable than i thought... if I wont gain much from both bmpr supports seats out only driver for strip and sway bar removal. Then ill just leave it as is n save for skinny n fatty wheels.
IMO it is, my car with a 1/4 tank of gas is alot more live, then it is with a full tank. Just take weight of the car, if you your deadset on removing from the front then just work on things in the engine bay, front seats, and wheels and ****. Look at all the record breaking cars, they're light. Period. A tire will over come that **** anyways.

Originally Posted by evangto87
It will change... but it takes a lot. And there isnt much to pull out of the rear of a car anyway (unless its a GTO). The little bit of weight i could pull id rather have there to help out with traction. 100lbs in the tail goes a long way as far as traction is concerned.
The rear bumper support is like 25-26lbs. If its THAT much of a big deal just relocate the battery to the rear, problem solved...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

any rotational weight you can remove will have an exponential effect vs pulling dead weight (ie interior). I'd start with bigs and littles. and yes the front bumper support has the mounts for the fogs in it. a decent chunk of weight all inclusive.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO it is, my car with a 1/4 tank of gas is alot more live, then it is with a full tank. Just take weight of the car, if you your deadset on removing from the front then just work on things in the engine bay, front seats, and wheels and ****. Look at all the record breaking cars, they're light. Period.
Throw some gears in your car...weight will be less noticable... i was doing some 70rolls with Beans 750 a while back. He was starting in fifth gear. I had 3 people in my car. I jumped out and held him to about a car and a half to 125. Then with no people in the car... its about 2 cars to 125. The reason it probably feels slower to you with a full tank of gas is because its weight over the rear tires... more traction always makes your car FEEL slower to you because it doesnt spin as easy, but its actually faster (assuming less spinning).
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by s346k
your experience may prove so, but mine (with every car I've had at the strip) says otherwise. just asking if he tried it is all.
Do you have any before/after track data of this? Curious to see what the gains were as I have personally never heard of anyone (including myself) gain et/mph on an LS1 car by running without the filter in. Was the filter clean when you did this?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

both of my cars picked up .5-1mph just from removing the filter. a ford ranger 2000 impala and 01 (i think) bonneville ssei did too. that's the first thing I do after popping the hood. and yes the filters were clean.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

both of my cars picked up .5-1mph just from removing the filter. a ford ranger 2000 impala and 01 (i think) bonneville ssei did too. that's the first thing I do after popping the hood. and yes the filters were clean.
hmm...interesting.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Rotational mass is key and I have discussed this with LOB to the point of paying more for a tire not just for how well it hooks, but for the difference in weight. I have removed my filter and seen 3/10's , but mine was also dirty. I discussed removing his at the last outing, but he decided to keep it in as it was extremely clean and wasn't re-charged. His car can be launched harder,but his rear brakes (maybe a proportioning valve will help) won't hold much over 2k rpms if any when I launched his car to a 1.63 60' and I weigh 60+ pounds more than him. I have launched cars from a 1k rpms to flash the converter, but I always have better luck coming up on the converter as much as I can.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
Throw some gears in your car...weight will be less noticable... i was doing some 70rolls with Beans 750 a while back. He was starting in fifth gear. I had 3 people in my car. I jumped out and held him to about a car and a half to 125. Then with no people in the car... its about 2 cars to 125. The reason it probably feels slower to you with a full tank of gas is because its weight over the rear tires... more traction always makes your car FEEL slower to you because it doesnt spin as easy, but its actually faster (assuming less spinning).
Car def feels more shitty. With a passenger and a full tank from a 40 hit the car just feels like a hunk of ****. I know my car farely well, even though this is pure broscience but i can tell a good amount of difference when the gas is low and full.

Like i said though id just pull weight from where ever i can and relocate battery to the back if traction is that much of an issue. Even though IMO for the hassle of doing that id just get big and littles and solve your traction issue and weight issue at once without relocating bullshit.

Honestly though first mod should be big and littles, also OP did your car come standard with an aluminum drive shaft? I think some F-body's came with a steel one...

Originally Posted by Cammed 02
hmm...interesting.
Depends how shitty the intake system is, ive seen friends pick up like 10 whp on the same dyno sess on a civic from removing a shitty filter and just running open velocity stack. What s346k says is very true, to a certain extent ofcourse.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

any rotational weight you can remove will have an exponential effect vs pulling dead weight (ie interior). I'd start with bigs and littles. and yes the front bumper support has the mounts for the fogs in it. a decent chunk of weight all inclusive.
Every 1 pound of weight lost @ wheel speed is like removing 3lbs of dead weight.

Every 1 pound of weight removed @ engine speed is like removing 15lbs of dead...

According to Chet Herbert.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Get light weight ones. The bumpers will distort without them over time

Like I said in the other post knock weight off that car!!

I think i might keep the bumper supports but drill large holes and cut excess metal from them, dont want my ride to be like a baywatch babe bouncing all over the place.

Hiosilver.... Lighter wheels is better than removing vehicles dead weight?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Car def feels more shitty. With a passenger and a full tank from a 40 hit the car just feels like a hunk of ****. I know my car farely well, even though this is pure broscience but i can tell a good amount of difference when the gas is low and full.

Like i said though id just pull weight from where ever i can and relocate battery to the back if traction is that much of an issue. Even though IMO for the hassle of doing that id just get big and littles and solve your traction issue and weight issue at once without relocating bullshit.

Honestly though first mod should be big and littles, also OP did your car come standard with an aluminum drive shaft? I think some F-body's came with a steel one...

Depends how shitty the intake system is, ive seen friends pick up like 10 whp on the same dyno sess on a civic from removing a shitty filter and just running open velocity stack. What s346k says is very true, to a certain extent ofcourse.
Yes it has an aluminum drive shaft... And I agree with the car feeling like crap with a passenger, and even 1/2 of gas. Not sure how much it affects the 5.0's but would like to do another 60 punch with matt if he still has the same mods and see the difference.

Quick Reply: Come n get some Matt5.oh oh! 1/18/13 ***VIDS ON PAGE 10***