Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 Z06 takes on BMW M3 Dinan 4.6 Stroker Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think stock theyre 4xx flywheel and like 290 something tq.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good kills, but even an E46 M3 is still superior to a C5 IMO. The BMW tax far exceeds the Corvette tax. The LS motors are hard to beat for mods for the dollar

Just me, but to each their own, and one should always respect a luxury car owner who has the ***** to mod and race it
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LostM
\

lol, mine was a bit sarcastic to play into the stereotype..

BUT.. That was the wrong thread, i meant 40pages in this one:
http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...ost-Comparison

I own an S65 powered M3 obviously.. and boosted they are nasty. but N/A they are not bad, but nothing to fear.

the stroker kits do come complete kits, but you get between 420-440rwhp, and yes, its $20k + for them..

VAC Motorsports, close to me, has actually just built a few that are really tempting as they seem to be more aggressive and better power and reliability.. but i like boost..
most of these dyno 330 (me) -350rwhp stock, and 370-390 rwhp bolt on

boost is a much better option for these cars, they respond well, but of course, the s/c kits are overpriced as well..
LOL I figured you were being sarcastic to fit that "all dicks drive BMWs" image that follows not only BMW, but Audi also. LOL I'll have to read that thread now to see the nonsense.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Good kills, but even an E46 M3 is still superior to a C5 IMO. The BMW tax far exceeds the Corvette tax. The LS motors are hard to beat for mods for the dollar

Just me, but to each their own, and one should always respect a luxury car owner who has the ***** to mod and race it
I had an E46 and i can't agree. Everytime i needed an expensive part i would joke about the "BMW Tax", which was ultimately the reason i got away from them.

The S54 is fantastic, one of my favorite engines ever, and the E46 is a very good chassis...but it's far too heavy for the I6's torque curve (or lack thereof).

One of my dream cars is a gutted E30 with an S54 swap as a road course machine.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Both cars are sexy. nice runs
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Teching In

I'm on that board as well. Riding a 99 FRC previously a stock motor with a ECS Cam, 1500 blower and meth. Now getting a new motor built by Mike at MCP Competition Engines. Forged 346 with ported 317's and Mikes cam to spec. Taking off the restrictor for more boost and getting tuned by Matt at TuneTime Performance.

Anyway that's me screaming about tq in the thread. More so to make the point that the tq of the Z is superior and across the powerband, that's getting the Z moving. As noted 4th gear is where it opens up and runs away. I'm friends with LostM thought I'd post up. There's a vid of our cars running as well before we both did blowers. I'll post it anyone is interested.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sledge_Hammer
There's a vid of our cars running as well before we both did blowers. I'll post it anyone is interested.
go for it
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

My curiosity stems from the fact that a while ago I found one of these at the local highway and he was eager to run with me. The downside was there was too much traffic but in the few instances we could try i jumped ahead at least a car and he crept up on me up until my door mirror. Short runs of course, but I would have swear it would have win over me easily. Perhaps if the run would have been longer he would have got me. Im a bolt on car mostly BTW (P/P TB, CAI, functional RA, LT, customY, catback and ecutout).
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chaman
My curiosity stems from the fact that a while ago I found one of these at the local highway and he was eager to run with me. The downside was there was too much traffic but in the few instances we could try i jumped ahead at least a car and he crept up on me up until my door mirror. Short runs of course, but I would have swear it would have win over me easily. Perhaps if the run would have been longer he would have got me. Im a bolt on car mostly BTW (P/P TB, CAI, functional RA, LT, customY, catback and ecutout).
They are pretty fast and the have very nice top end power with an amazing redline. If you can jump them then its a game of chase for the blown M's. The higher you run the higher your chance of getting walked down if you dont have the HP.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I'd be pretty hurt after spending that much on ANY car..to get beat by an NA c5.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chaman
you probably run equal to basic bolt-on one, and bmw drivers tend to be the worst, so consider a manual an easy win, but a dct can probably catch you.

a car like this, with over 400hp will walk away from you, but obviously not the vette here. Im actually seeking a similarly modded vette locally so we can see the outcome vs a potent m3, and not one into ego-boosting mods
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odthetruth
LOL I figured you were being sarcastic to fit that "all dicks drive BMWs" image that follows not only BMW, but Audi also. LOL I'll have to read that thread now to see the nonsense.
,,,,but are all bmws owned by dicks?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM

nice run!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

I guess like how the c5 is superior to your fbody ,

Just me, but to each their own, and one should always respect a fbody car owner who has the ***** to mod and race it
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Knight-Z06
I guess like how the c5 is superior to your fbody ,

Just me, but to each their own, and one should always respect a fbody car owner who has the ***** to mod and race it
I wasn't taking away from the Fbody/C5 at all, I was addressing the guys talking about the $$$ spent to make a BMW fast.

The racing part was how many BMW owners do you know who actually modify and race them? I can pick out 10 guys around here with a modded C5 anything for maybe 1 tuned 335i
Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

I wasn't taking away from the Fbody/C5 at all, I was addressing the guys talking about the $$$ spent to make a BMW fast.

The racing part was how many BMW owners do you know who actually modify and race them? I can pick out 10 guys around here with a modded C5 anything for maybe 1 tuned 335i
sorry man , my car feelings got hurt , its not you just some friends called my vette old , i guess it is now but not to me , lol denial
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Hey the Vette may be older but they are damn well fast and bang for the buck one of the best buys out there. My 99 FRC is a bargin with its mods compared to a 911 or M3 with equal/like mods.

Takes nothing from those cars as they are amazing as well but cost vs performance the Vette wins all day long IMO. After 20 Mustangs and host of other platforms the Vette is home for me.

As for an E46 M3 being superior to a C5 thats laughable... The BMW has a nicer interior and then its over from a performance standpoint. Mod for mod the Vette is faster and easier to maintain. IMO
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry man , my car feelings got hurt , its not you just some friends called my vette old , i guess it is now but not to me , lol denial
They are "old". My 03 truck with 67k is "old". It all depends on how well you maintain it and what makes you happy.

I hate how some of the guys on Corvetteforum and in the local scene are such douchebags when it comes to C4s and C5s. It seems like some guys with C6s honestly think they are better just because they own a new model. These type of people make it hard for the Vette "wave" to stay alive

Vettes are definitely a bang for their buck. Will likely end up in a C5 or a C6 within the next few years when I graduate college.
Hey the Vette may be older but they are damn well fast and bang for the buck one of the best buys out there. My 99 FRC is a bargin with its mods compared to a 911 or M3 with equal/like mods.

Takes nothing from those cars as they are amazing as well but cost vs performance the Vette wins all day long IMO. After 20 Mustangs and host of other platforms the Vette is home for me.

As for an E46 M3 being superior to a C5 thats laughable... The BMW has a nicer interior and then its over from a performance standpoint. Mod for mod the Vette is faster and easier to maintain. IMO
Well, the E46 has a much nicer interior and the general handling of them is awesome. Just a smooth ride. Well built car. Definitely an apples to oranges comparison though. If I were to get a BMW, being an auto guy, I'd prefer the DCT of the E46 M3 and those are junk in that model year.

I was considering an E92 335i coupe, but after doing a lot of research on them, I'll likely end up in a G8 GT as a DD. Cost of ownership is really expensive. Hard to stray from the LS platform as far as performance for the money and cost of ownership
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

the vette brotherhood lives! , same here man im keeping mine for the long haul , somthing about the c5 body lines are classic , these cars will be classics , weight , platform , ease of modification its a winner all around
i like your frc man , whats ur next mod ? i have a thompson 416 ls3 cooking
Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

the vette brotherhood lives! , same here man im keeping mine for the long haul , somthing about the c5 body lines are classic , these cars will be classics , weight , platform , ease of modification its a winner all around
I have a huge soft spot for the C5 as you can tell it is probably the last generation with hand drawn lines.

The C6 took awhile to grow on me, but I absolutely love it. Dream garage is a C4, C5, C6, and a C7.

If only the income would keep up

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 takes on BMW M3 Dinan 4.6 Stroker Kit