Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

HCI Ls1 TA vs Big cam Lt1 Formula

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
353 is just a .020" over bore on a stock block. Not sure why it would be chosen over a 355 with a much easier to find 30 over piston.
I'm aware of that. And as far as I know, Speed Pro is the only company that still offers a forged .020" over piston. What I want to know is why someone boasting about building stuff right is putting Indian junk in his engine

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
There have been bolton lt1s run mid 11s. It doesnt take a 383 to run low 11s with a lt1.
I don't count carburetors and 2700lb raceweights as a bolt on car. I'm not alone.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 02-24-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I'm aware of that. And as far as I know, Speed Pro is the only company that still offers a forged .020" over piston. What I want to know is why someone boasting about building stuff right is putting Indian junk in his engine

I don't count carburetors and 2700lb raceweights as a bolt on car. I'm not alone.
You are really showing your lack of knowledge here.

1)I've never boasted about a 10 second build that went 12's. Before I tore my old build apart. My car went consistently very low 12's with a CC306 cam shifting at 6400 on a stock block, stock intake, stock heads, stock suspension with longtubes and a small stall in 3000+ DA. And I didn't even have all the bolt ons. I had still planned to add EWP, cutout, larger TB, full roller rockers, LS1 air lid and some suspension mods. It's common knowledge that those mods combined add considerable power. It would have been extremely easy for me to push that car into the mid 11's with decent DA and those mods added.

2) 353ci isn't very hard to do. Almost every reputable company out there makes a .020 over forged piston as well as just about any other size one would need. If you did a little research, you would know this.

3) The reason for going with a 353 came from the idea that I didn't want to bore the block any more than necessary. Thicker walls make for a stronger block and also leave room for future machining should anything happen to the engine that would require a rebuild.

4) I do not run junk in my engine. I run forged CP pistons.

Last but not least

Where do you live? I'd like to officially call out your 10 second LS1 with my small cubic inch, full weight, pump gas, hyd roller, N/A LT1. It's not even optimized for running NA but I'm sure it'll still do the trick. I'm running a heavier than stock rotating assembly, nitrous gapped plugs and rings and a nitrous converter and I run in full street trim with heavy 17" rims and 275 tires all the way around.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about, right?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Agreed. The LT1 engine is miles behind the LS engine, it's simply a SBC with reverse coolant flow and a crappy intake manifold setup. You LT1 guys are saying that a LT1 can hang with a LSx engine mod for mod? Seriously?
Now you are putting words in our mouths. Not one person in here except for YOU said an LT1 could run with an LS1 mod for mod. Just because an LS1 and LT1 both are running a H/C setup doesn't make the heads and cam they are using equal.

The only point I argued was..... wait for it....

It DOES NOT take a 383 Stroker build for an LT1 to run low 11's.

It also DOES NOT take any magical parts or knowledge.

The LS1 car in question here seems like a really nice car. I love the color of that TA and it's power and track times are great! That aside, the fact is, 428rwhp is nothing to scoff at, but duplicating that in an LT1 is not exactly rocket science.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Agreed. The LT1 engine is miles behind the LS engine, it's simply a SBC with reverse coolant flow and a crappy intake manifold setup. You LT1 guys are saying that a LT1 can hang with a LSx engine mod for mod? Seriously?
I never once said that a lt can hang with a ls mod for mod. Just simply said it doesnt take a 383 to run low 11s. We all know the ls is a better motor than the lt. If it wasnt chevy would still be running the lts. The problem is alot of u ls guys think the lts are just slow junk and dont have a chance in hell against ls. Believe it or not they are some fast ltx cars.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Soooooo tired of seeing these arguments .

LT1s wont hang mod for mod with an LS1, that is a fact. Its not the train lengths people on the internet make it out to be though.

In general whatever the LS1 has, the LT1 needs that plus good heads on top. Stop and think WHY the LS1 is a better engine then the LT1. Its all about the cylinder heads, thats where power is made. Not magical LS1 block casting secrets or unicorn **** in the oil. Like I said, LT1 heads are archaic compared to LS1 heads. A lot of shops basic porting that the average Joe will get for LT1 heads barely match what a factory LS1 head flows...and never mind the newer LS series heads.

It's a shame LT1s are bore limited, since there is a whole world of NASTY *** SBC race heads that would hurt a lot of LS feelings, but they all require 4.1+" bores to prevent valve shrouding and we are realistically limited to 4.060".
Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Soooooo tired of seeing these arguments .

LT1s wont hang mod for mod with an LS1, that is a fact. Its not the train lengths people on the internet make it out to be though.

In general whatever the LS1 has, the LT1 needs that plus good heads on top. Stop and think WHY the LS1 is a better engine then the LT1. Its all about the cylinder heads, thats where power is made. Not magical LS1 block casting secrets or unicorn **** in the oil. Like I said, LT1 heads are archaic compared to LS1 heads. A lot of shops basic porting that the average Joe will get for LT1 heads barely match what a factory LS1 head flows...and never mind the newer LS series heads.

It's a shame LT1s are bore limited, since there is a whole world of NASTY *** SBC race heads that would hurt a lot of LS feelings, but they all require 4.1+" bores to prevent valve shrouding and we are realistically limited to 4.060".
There is no arguement. Nobody in this thread ever claimed the LT1 would run with the LS1 mod for mod.

Only the statement of fact that it doesn't take a 383 build for an LT1 to run low 11's. End of discussion.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
There is no arguement. Nobody in this thread ever claimed the LT1 would run with the LS1 mod for mod.
Nope, but thats where it was going.
Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
Only the statement of fact that it doesn't take a 383 build for an LT1 to run low 11's. End of discussion.
It doesn't. Doesn't bother me if they think that though, the common LT1 misinformation just makes it easier to take money on TNT nights.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, but thats where it was going.

It doesn't. Doesn't bother me if they think that though, the common LT1 misinformation just makes it easier to take money on TNT nights.

I do like that aspect of the LT1 game. I enjoy the underdog roll and enjoy surprising people. The LT1 is a very good humbling tool.

Wait, what am I saying. It's a boat anchor. It takes H/C/I and a power adder to run with bolt on LS1's.

Quick Reply: HCI Ls1 TA vs Big cam Lt1 Formula