Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock ZL1 vs Bolt on 5.0 (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
Nitrous would have made my launch worse... not better...

and lol at major heat soak from a stock car.
please clarify your "lol"

are you "lol" at the zl1 being a pile of ****

or you "lol" at my statement of heat soak
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

im lol-ing at 1 of 2 things. One, that the ZL1 actually heat soaks.... two, that statements were made that thats the reason it under performs.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I guess google.com doesnt work for you. Here let me help you. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...hp.gYWNOpixctY

im not saying thats the reason it underperforms, because that isnt the reason it underperforms on single 1320' runs.

it has nothing to do with the 4120 LB curb weight.... Oh wait.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camper
I guess google.com doesnt work for you. Here let me help you. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...hp.gYWNOpixctY

im not saying thats the reason it underperforms, because that isnt the reason it underperforms on single 1320' runs.
for google.com to work for me, i would have to use it...and care. If a zl1 truly does heatsoak from the factory at a drag strip... how the hell does it road race?

As far as weight is concerned.... CTSV...nuff said. There heavier and perform better with less hp
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

for google.com to work for me, i would have to use it...and care. If a zl1 truly does heatsoak from the factory at a drag strip... how the hell does it road race?

As far as weight is concerned.... CTSV...nuff said. There heavier and perform better with less hp
im unsure of the point you're trying to make... its like your trying to say something without actually saying anything. Care to elaborate on the point you're trying to make here?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

im unsure of the point you're trying to make... its like your trying to say something without actually saying anything. Care to elaborate on the point you're trying to make here?
A ctsv is faster and more consistant and heavier with less hp then a zl1
And apparently factory zl1s heat soak in the burn out box

ZL1 = poop.

And fyi, not sure why you took my comments to heart... they were never directed at you
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

A ctsv is faster and more consistant and heavier with less hp then a zl1
And apparently factory zl1s heat soak in the burn out box

ZL1 = poop.

well no ****, i've said zl1's are factory garbage all along. But im not so sure CTS v's are that much stronger as they are basically the same platform. I'd have to do some more research to better understand the comparison.

edit: ok lol, I thought you were taking a dig at me for some odd reason, I was sitting here confused
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

well no ****, i've said zl1's are factory garbage all along. But im not so sure CTS v's are that much stronger as they are basically the same platform. I'd have to do some more research to better understand the comparison.

edit: ok lol, I thought you were taking a dig at me for some odd reason, I was sitting here confused
CTSVs are incredible. And NOOO signs of any potential heatsoak. Even pullied. I raced one from CT about 15 times in a row in a time frame of 15 minutes back when i had a catback/air intake. He had an air intake and tune. Made 460whp stock, 505whp after those mods. He pulled me literally half a car every single race. I kept racing him trying to get it to slow down from heat soak. It never did. Im talking 50-150mph pulls. From that day on i was impressed with the CTSV platform/powerplant to be able to run that heavy a car that consistantly. He went 11.5 at 120 on factory wheels, factory weight with that air intake and tune.

Now the ZL1... apparently heat soaks doing a burn out before a track pass. Thats just pathetic considering it was designed to be a road course car. Originally i wanted to see a test of the ZL1 on the road course going lap by lap by lap. I wanted to see a test on the blower aspect of it and if it slowed down over time. I guess its safe to say it would. One more reason to buy a 1LE over a ZL1. I think the 1LE would be my purchase if i bought a fifth gen.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Launching!

there's no reason a zl1 would heat soak and a ctsv wouldn't. they both perform basically the same, which makes sense since they're both so closely related. i also saw a video on streetfire where both cars are neck and neck.

people talk down on the zl1 but they're great cars. heavier than some full sized cars which is a lot for a camaro but it is what it is.

Last edited by MauriSSio; 03-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
there's no reason a zl1 would heat soak and a ctsv wouldn't. they both perform basically the same, which makes sense since they're both so closely related. i also saw a video on streetfire where both cars are neck and neck.
Then the ZL1 doesnt heat soak. I can promise you from experience... the CTSV has 0 heatsoaking issues
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Then the ZL1 doesnt heat soak. I can promise you from experience... the CTSV has 0 heatsoaking issues
i heard gm specifically targeted heat soak when engineering these cars. it was all over camaro5.com when the engineers would go there and field questions on the cars. they said there would be very little to no variance lap to lap.

maybe it picks up heat from sitting still??

or maybe it doesn't heat soak and people just like to make excuses because they wish it was faster?? they're solid 117mph cars stock so they're not slow pigs by any means, people just like bashing them because they were expecting a 125mph car i guess (like the gt500)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

i heard gm specifically targeted heat soak when engineering these cars. it was all over camaro5.com when the engineers would go there and field questions on the cars. they said there would be very little to no variance lap to lap.

or maybe it doesn't heat soak and people just like to make excuses because they wish it was faster?? they're solid 117mph cars stock so they're not slow pigs by any means, people just like bashing them because they were expecting a 125mph car i guess (like the gt500)

This is a big possibility
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 8ty8 LS1
right when i saw this post, i knew the zl1 probably lost. can't watch the video tho (someone deleted flash on my work computer lolz) but those zl1's just aren't as impressive in a straight line as everyone hyped them up to be.
That's cuz the people who buy them generally feel the need to do a huge burnout before they race (after leaving it running in the pits, of course) and heat soak the hell out of the motor/supercharger and they run like *** the whole way. CTS-V's weigh more, have less power, smaller tires, and less advanced suspension (when well driven) have been into the 11's many times, so ZL1's should be capable of at least the same you'd think.

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
1/8 mile tracks are ******* gay.
+1,000

Last edited by MasterTomos; 03-02-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

I have to admit, I'm loving all the ZL1 excuses
Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

I would guess that the 5.0 had nitrous the way it came off the line, I could be wrong though. I've smoked a CTS-V in the same fashion at the 1/8th mile track and I'm making way less power, it's all about the setup.

BTW, I have more fun or just as much fun at 1/8th mile tracks as 1/4 mile tracks and I'm really not sure why. Unless you have a high hp car, the back half of a 1/4 mile track is pretty boring. Maybe it's because by the time I'm at the 1/8th mile mark I shift into 4th and just ride it out, all the fun shifting happens in the 1/8th!

Last edited by Camaro Z; 03-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
all the fun shifting happens in the 1/8th!
Yep, I can say first hand your Camaro is a fun ride in the 1/8th
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Bingo! Should be a 116-118mph car, but we keep seeing those 114mph pass, which is really bad. I dont get it. 1LE FTW.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
brb....goin to the track and redlight against another car to make my car look badass.
Lol about time you came in here with your..
Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

114? **** they wish for that around here. 2 of them went 112 last year.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Bingo! Should be a 116-118mph car, but we keep seeing those 114mph pass, which is really bad. I dont get it. 1LE FTW.
What kinda people do you think go out and spend $60,000 dollars on a Camaro? Its probably not the car but the drivers.

Quick Reply: Stock ZL1 vs Bolt on 5.0 (Video)