Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.5 second integra 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe just put a 10 foot think re-inforced brick wall around the 1400 ft mark. That should stop them.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm
this is the very first top fuel 4 cylinder car. it made an exhibition run and did a 5.5 e.t in the 1/4 [url]the only 4 banger dragster in exsistence and is only about .6 seconds slower than the fastest v8 dragster..good Lord

I might be mistaken, but I thought the top fuel record for the v8 dragsters was something like 4.4xx @334mph.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PizzOnFord
I might be mistaken, but I thought the top fuel record for the v8 dragsters was something like 4.4xx @334mph.
E.T. record was 4.441 and top speed record was 333.25 mph, but I think both of those records were broken a few weekends back at Vegas, can't find it on the internet right now and i'm too lazy to actually look hard.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:20 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by unit213
Maybe just put a 10 foot think re-inforced brick wall around the 1400 ft mark. That should stop them.
LOL Yeah that ought to do it.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well how about the have cords, like what catch the airplaines on aircraft carriers.

But the teams have found ways to get around the power making rules, they can still make even MORE power. but to be limited is being safe. Right now with the 7000 to 8000 RWHP these cars make at the moment, they are barely getting traction. what would they do with 9 to 10k rwhp?!??!?!? we will see what the future holds.

currently top fuel cars pull more G;s off the line then the force the space shuttle makes at launch, and once again, it is even worse when the parachute is deployed!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Teching In

MORE MISINFORMATION!!!

The reason they are limited has nothing to do with parachutes, its tires! The tire manufactures said slow them down, tires are not made to go that fast, they will come apart! Same thing happened to Nascar a few years back.

I too saw the same race this weekend with a funny car that hit 250mph and never pulled the chute, he was still able to make the turn off with out any problems, so stopping with their existing chutes is not a problem yet. Besides, have you ever been to the shutdown area and what the existing chutes stop a 330mph car? Lets put it this way, they could take the 2nd turn off, and theres still 2 left including the end of the track where the sand trap is.

Besides all that, HP is not their limiting factor, their biggest limiting factor is traction! They can't fully engage the clutch until around the 1000' mark without blowing the tires away as it is. For now I think they are pretty much topped out... Sounds like its time for them to go AWD!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

they should make the tires wider and maybe so that they dont expand as much when they spin, maybe that would keep them together
Old 04-21-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Madair09
Yeah, but they only weigh around 2300 pounds and have the best brakes money can buy.
Not exactly the best brakes. They actually skimp as much as they can on braking power to save weight. They figure if the parachutes stopping them why bother lol. On the limited engine size, aren't they limited to around 500 cubes? That's less then quit a few street cars I know in my area. Just think if the limits were set at 600+ cubes the kind of numbers they could lay down.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes, they are limited to 500 cubes and no more. they still run carbs, and other things. Tires are also a huge factor like what i said as well as Mochanic. with them not handling the speeds or just holding Traction on the track. they can run more boost, more cubes, and maybe some kind of huge EFI system. but what they have no is the best thing they can get for the moment.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:00 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

curently top fuel cars pull more G;s off the line then the force the space shuttle makes at launch, and once again, it is even worse when the parachute is deployed!
Okay ... lots of crazy information running around in this thread. Honestly, I am not sure of the reason for the limitations, however, I can offer some insight into the G’s theory.

a) The space shuttle only pulls around 3-4 POSITIVE G's during launch .... meaning the astronaut feels as though they are 3-4 times heavier then they actually are (if you were 200lbs, you would feel like you were 6-800lbs, etc). While this may seem like a large amount, it is not. Fighter pilots routinely go to 7-8 g's, and even to 9-10 for very short periods of time. The human body can actually withstand pretty high G's, but only for brief periods of time before you will black out (caused by positive g's, blood is forced away from the brain), or "red out" (caused by negative g's, forcing too much blood into the brain).

b) Negative G's are actually much more harmful to us, and we can withstand far less of them then we can positive G's. Although there is no real "up" or "down" that can be associated with G forces, a good example of a negative G would be a bunny hill on a rollercoaster when you are forced out of your seat (You could see 3-4 positive G's and 1-2 negative G's on a decent rollercoaster).

All that being said, I highly doubt that the g's experienced by dragsters (while they may be violent) are the reason they limit the speeds involved. They could realistically see much higher g's (as I said fighter pilots do it routinely) then they do. Also there are always G suits and such to handle extreme G loads, and I have yet to see a top-fuel dragster driver strapping on one of them.

Btw, Lateral G's are side to side motion (i.e. when you take a turn at speed and are pushed sideways).

Well how about the have cords, like what catch the airplanes on aircraft carriers.
Those are extremely violent experiences, and the jets are usually only travelling at around 120-140 kts .... definitely not 330+ mph. Also those cables are routinely replaced after every few dozen traps (if I remember correctly) .... so having them at the local drag strip would be a pretty expensive endeavor.

Last edited by xphantomws6x; 04-21-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
the brain).

b) Although there is no real "up" or "down" that can be associated with G forces............................ Also there are always G suits and such to handle extreme G loads, and I have yet to see a top-fuel dragster driver strapping on one of them.

Btw, Lateral G's are side to side motion (i.e. when you take a turn at speed and are pushed sideways).
Yep, Phantom, good stuff. I just didn't want to get into the heavy stuff as far as the physics go. There is no up, down, side, to G-forces. It is all relative. A more proper way to explain it is "acceleration". Even when you are stopping, the body is accelerating relative to the car. And the body will have to be stopped just like the car(it obviously does not have the luxury to keep on going). And that is where the problem is. The manner in which the acceleration is experience is also relevant. 8gs over a 10 second period is not that big of a deal. But 8gs in a 1/10 of a second can snap your neck.

It's not lateral or vertical so that is why I suggested longitudinal. That was the only axis left and if you think about it, it is the one we are talking about. Force along the length of the car.

BTW, the G-suits you speak of would do nothing for our drag racing brethren. All they do is squeeze the lower parts of the pilots body(legs mainly) in the hopes of keeping blood from pooling there and instead staying in the brain. While they do help in that sort of environment, they don't help all that much. But those guys need all the help they can get.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:13 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x

Those are extremely violent experiences, and the jets are usually only travelling at around 120-140 kts .... definitely not 330+ mph. Also those cables are routinely replaced after every few dozen traps (if I remember correctly) .... so having them at the local drag strip would be a pretty expensive endeavor.
Not to mention the cost to the large hydraulic pumps that are used in the process. Going to a drag race would probably cost the spectator a couple of hundred bucks(or more) just to get in.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:56 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, the G-suits you speak of would do nothing for our drag racing brethren. All they do is squeeze the lower parts of the pilots body(legs mainly) in the hopes of keeping blood from pooling there and instead staying in the brain. While they do help in that sort of environment, they don't help all that much. But those guys need all the help they can get.
Yep.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by BigBronco
yes, they are limited to 500 cubes and no more. they still run carbs, and other things. Tires are also a huge factor like what i said as well as Mochanic. with them not handling the speeds or just holding Traction on the track. they can run more boost, more cubes, and maybe some kind of huge EFI system. but what they have no is the best thing they can get for the moment.

Top fuel running carbs? WTF???
There is no carb anywhere on a top fuel car!
They are injected... big time injected!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 01:00 AM
NKAWTG...N

why not just have injection seats? pass the line, grab ur ***** and pull the handle. poof...there you go! but ya a g-suit wouldn't do much, the violent acceleration in a dragster would screw with ur eyes...g-suit can't save ur eyes. arresting wire on aircraft carriers are very durable, usually replaced once or twice a cruise. But if any wires (the small intermingled wires in the big wire) are cut or damaged they swap it quick. People die very quickly when those wires snap, the plane ends up going sideways into other planes, and the wire generally hits alot of things...and most things on an aircraft carrier burn nicely.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if it's turbocharged then it's not withing top fuel rules, do it s/c and that's something.

also it's a race motor in fiberglass, it's not an integra or any car for that matter.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Officialy this is the fastest Honda.

http://aempower.com/race/movie/6sec_web2.wmv
Old 05-04-2004, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Hondas
Old 05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Maxime
Officialy this is the fastest Honda.

http://aempower.com/race/movie/6sec_web2.wmv
Did the camera man have a seizure?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FutureFbodowner
Hondas
Why the hell did you bring this friggin thread back??? So you could put up your cute little smiley machine gun??
Listen junior, this thread was resolved peacefully between the Honda owners and the F-body owners. Now you show up to start up the war again? Take your **** out of this forum unless you are gonna post something that requires at least a smidgen of intelligent thought. It's quite possible that you hardly know anything about engines, or failed to read the entire thread thoroughly. I even learned stuff about foreign motor technology from reading posts by Mochanic and GSrev.

I guess I should take it easy on you though, as it seems that the measured wheel horsepower of your car is only marginally eclipsed by your SAT score.

Tony,
Oh as for your sig...... Who gives a ****?! I certainly don't

Quick Reply: 5.5 second integra 1/4 mile