Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

12' GT500 vs. Kawasaki ZX6

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good run, but that is nowhere near what a normal 600 would run. He has some hidden tricks up his sleeve on that bike. And again, 1/4 mile runs are a little different than a roll race with a bike, especially once speeds top 120mph or more. That ZX6 in the vid runs strong as hell though. Props to him.

Friend of mine with the Hayabusa rides with a bunch of people.. I am going to get him to set up some runs for me. Also, will look forward to seeing how I do after the supercharger upgrade.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Not fast compared to what? New bike? Probably. A new 600 would have just been a little closer to my rear bumper than he was.
Fightin words!!!!

I consistently trap 103-104 in the 1/8.

Nice kill on the ZX6, OP.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Fightin words!!!!

I consistently trap 103-104 in the 1/8.

Nice kill on the ZX6, OP.
I keep trying to get the point across that a dragstrip run, and a roll run will be slightly different for a bike... Aero will be a big factor from a roll race above 120 or so. It really don't matter to me though.. I just want to do it for the fun of it, and win or lose, it will be good with me.

BTW, at 103-104 in the 1/8th I would be nipping at your heels Or semi close anyway.. if I can get the damned car into 2nd without grinding.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well IMO.... you vs PSM above... wouldnt be any heel nipping lol.

Ill post the video again.. This is PSM taking it to a 403 SS that traps 128mph..... aero probs or not... well... watch the vid lol. That SS traps 100-102 in the 8th.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
Well IMO.... you vs PSM above... wouldnt be any heel nipping lol.

Ill post the video again.. This is PSM taking it to a 403 SS that traps 128mph..... aero probs or not... well... watch the vid lol. That SS traps 100-102 in the 8th.

Shhh.. don't spoil mah thinking mang.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

PSM is slow!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 AM

Keep in mind that he said he wants to race the bike to like 160 mph. Since the 600 can't hit 160, he'll win by default.

Why put the bike in a poor situation just to say you beat it? I'd rather definitively beat a 600 in a 40-130/140 race, where it's at best. Or in a marked 1/4 from a dig. That's just me though, and I haven't accomplished either so far.

This is my experience so far:

My Z28 had heads/cam/100 shot and trapped 100 in the 1/8 and 127 in the 1/4. The bike is a stock 2007 GSX-R600 that trapped 104 in the 1/8 and 127 in the 1/4. This race was from 40-130.

This is the same setup on my Z28 vs a 556 rwhp GT500 from a 40 roll.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-13-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Rut roh
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Hopes, destroyed lol
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

lmao!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

I keep trying to get the point across that a dragstrip run, and a roll run will be slightly different for a bike... Aero will be a big factor from a roll race above 120 or so. It really don't matter to me though.. I just want to do it for the fun of it, and win or lose, it will be good with me.

BTW, at 103-104 in the 1/8th I would be nipping at your heels Or semi close anyway.. if I can get the damned car into 2nd without grinding.
I think you're gonna beat or murder most 600s you run at your power level, OP, regardless of whether it's a newer one or not. Hard to find good riders. But if you do find a good rider, especially on a 636, then you might be surprised. Chances are you'll be running someone mediocre at best though, and anything less than a great rider is gonna have trouble with a car like yours on a 600 from a dig or roll. If you wanna race to 150+, the 600 is basically topped out so you're just seeing which vehicle has a faster top speed, not which one accelerates quicker.

If you really just wanna take a win, run him from 60+ to eliminate his first gear advantage, which is huge on a 600. 60-150+ and even a good rider will just hang for a few gears and then fall off quickly up top.

Just my thoughts and experiences for you. Good luck with the runs!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a side by side race with an 03 R6 when i was nearly stock. 150lb rider. I had a 230lb passenger. From 40-120 it was side by side with me pulling at around 110.

Fail rider...

When my car had a few bolt ons. I ran an orange zx10 with maybe a 200lb rider. 50-115.... I won by a car

Another f*cking fail rider...

However i will be looking for some 600ccs to race this season as i think im in average-well riden 600 territory. Still not in PSM territory....that may never happen
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

I think you're gonna beat or murder most 600s you run at your power level, OP, regardless of whether it's a newer one or not. Hard to find good riders. But if you do find a good rider, especially on a 636, then you might be surprised. Chances are you'll be running someone mediocre at best though, and anything less than a great rider is gonna have trouble with a car like yours on a 600 from a dig or roll. If you wanna race to 150+, the 600 is basically topped out so you're just seeing which vehicle has a faster top speed, not which one accelerates quicker.

If you really just wanna take a win, run him from 60+ to eliminate his first gear advantage, which is huge on a 600. 60-150+ and even a good rider will just hang for a few gears and then fall off quickly up top.

Just my thoughts and experiences for you. Good luck with the runs!
Well its all in fun anyway. And I wouldnt want to race one from his known disadvantage point. I know how the 06-07 gsxrs runs as I owned an 06 for three years. Only difference is the color schemes between those years. You definitely know how to ride the bike. Roll racing was not my thing on mine though, I was more into the twisties... no chicken strips on mah tires. .

Either way if I run any Ill post vids up win or lose. And to everyone viewing this I am not bragging about beating bikes..i am just having fun racing. Hope to get a gopro3 this week and should have better videos coming.

So PSM.. in your opinion when I do get a race, a fair run will be 40-130? Just want to be sure to get the bike in its best range too. Another month or so more mods will be going on the car.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hopes, destroyed lol
Not quite
Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
However i will be looking for some 600ccs to race this season as i think im in average-well riden 600 territory. Still not in PSM territory....that may never happen
From a high roll you will have a chance, but anything from 03+ with a decent rider will not be a pretty run for you at anything under ~50mph with your rwhp.

Roll racing was not my thing on mine though, I was more into the twisties... no chicken strips on mah tires. .
Love the twisties. My 07 ZX6 was all the way to the edge of the PP2CTs, and I'm almost to the Michelin man on my R2 2CTs in only ~300 miles of normal commuting...on my 14R LOL. Most ones I see have huuuuge chicken strips. She may be 550lbs but I still toss that bitch around in the turns .
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
From a high roll you will have a chance, but anything from 03+ with a decent rider will not be a pretty run for you at anything under ~50mph with your rwhp.

Love the twisties. My 07 ZX6 was all the way to the edge of the PP2CTs, and I'm almost to the Michelin man on my R2 2CTs in only ~300 miles of normal commuting...on my 14R LOL. Most ones I see have huuuuge chicken strips. She may be 550lbs but I still toss that bitch around in the turns .
I ran the 2cts also..they "fell" into the turn much better than the factory battleaxes. Loved them
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Well its all in fun anyway. And I wouldnt want to race one from his known disadvantage point. I know how the 06-07 gsxrs runs as I owned an 06 for three years. Only difference is the color schemes between those years. You definitely know how to ride the bike. Roll racing was not my thing on mine though, I was more into the twisties... no chicken strips on mah tires. .

Either way if I run any Ill post vids up win or lose. And to everyone viewing this I am not bragging about beating bikes..i am just having fun racing. Hope to get a gopro3 this week and should have better videos coming.

So PSM.. in your opinion when I do get a race, a fair run will be 40-130? Just want to be sure to get the bike in its best range too. Another month or so more mods will be going on the car.
Sounds like you've got a good mentality going. It's all in fun, or at least I personally feel it should be. Winning is great but losing is just good motivation to mod up or improve your riding/driving, and it's fun either way.

I'd say 40-130 is solid. If I ran someone from 40mph and by 130 they were in front and pulling, I wouldn't have anything more for them on this bike. I've run people higher just to see where and if they'd come by me eventually, but as you know these bikes are designed for the road course so you're rarely getting above 140 on the straights on a 600, especially on a smaller track. And I'm talking accurate numbers since stock speedos are off (mine is corrected).

And I'm more of a twisties guy, as well. I just enjoy working on all aspects of riding. A few trips to the drag strip on a bike can help your starts like no other. You don't get much or any time to work on starts at track days, though track days are just all around way more fun.

This is the only tire pic I think I have. These Pures were brand new when I arrived at the track that day and this was my first day on Thunderbolt at NJMP. What a sweet track. I used to run the 2CT's, also, but I'm more comfortable on the Pures at advanced paces. I love them for the street, though, and have enjoyed them at many track days. They even held up well in the rain at Loudon (gave me a scare once but that track has issues). I actually have a pair sitting in my living room as I type this.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, btw. I'm certainly no pro rider. I just really enjoy getting everything I can out of my bike and improving myself as a rider before throwing money and mods at it. There's plenty of improvement left in me on both the road course and the drag strip so I keep practicing. I'd rather be the guy impressing people on a stock 600 with tires than the guy riding a modded out liter bike in the middle of a pack full of all different size bikes.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 04-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the only tire pic I think I have. These Pures were brand new when I arrived at the track that day and this was my first day on Thunderbolt at NJMP. What a sweet track. I used to run the 2CT's but I'm more comfortable on the Pures at advanced paces. I love them for the street, though. I have a pair sitting in my living room as I type this, actually.

That's getting it done .

If I still had my 6 I would consider the Pure, but the 14 is so damn vicious on tires that I would barely get any life out of them. I actually switched from the Pilot Power 2CTs out back to the Pilot Road 2 2CTs because of how fast they were wearing, but I still have the 2CT that I am saving for drag strip use. Should be good for ~3k more miles, and in all honesty I won't be running to the edge on the 14 so I won't notice the performance difference. Only difference between the Road 2 and Road 3 are the rain grooves on the 3, but I have enough experience in the rain to not worry about that, and a little trick up my sleeve for really nasty weather called KTRC . Mode 3 the bike won't spin the back tire on a patch of wet leaves, its so badass.

I still run a PP on the front though, need all the grip you can get up front for heavy breaking on a big bike.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fwiw I ran 7.1@ 101 my 3rd run down the 1/8th mile on my bone stock 07 zx6r. There was more in the bike but I was wearin shoes and a t-shirt and they required boots and gear for some reason. I changed the sprockets (-1 front +4 back) and it picked up a TON down low. But I never got it to the track after that. I took my bike to 177 on the highway and my brother hit the limiter at 181 on his bike (exactly the same as mine) the speedometers can't be off that far that they can't even hit 160? I even gps'd mine and it was less than 1 mph off at 115 mph. I miss my rocket, the girlfriend doesn't like the idea of me riding one again since I get alittle wild lol. So I'm gunn buy a ultralight airplane for a toy! Lol
Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
I took my bike to 177 on the highway and my brother hit the limiter at 181 on his bike (exactly the same as mine) the speedometers can't be off that far that they can't even hit 160?
They're way off stock (about 8-9% on most sport bikes) and your sprockets will make that much worse.

Top speed on my 750 before the speedo-healer was 186 indicated, 172 GPS.

Quick Reply: 12' GT500 vs. Kawasaki ZX6