Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Z28 vs SN95 Cobra vs MK4 GTi Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
Im sure in there time (early 90s/late 90s) they were strong runners. But 10 years later when i was in HS they weren't doing too hot.
Kind of reminds of the LS1 vs Mustang GT now versus 10 years ago.

Nice *** cobra though!
Thanks! I try to keep her clean.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wallj
Yeah I love mine. My next race will be against another friend with a 2012 v6 mustang, auto with a few bolt ons.
Dont sleep on that one. With a few bolt-ons they move quite well.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
As is a bolt on LT1
I smell F-Body hate. A LT1 might be a joke nowadays, but back when they were new, there was very little that could run with them. The same thing can't be said for the Mustang.

The SN95s got utterly destroyed by an equivalent year Camaro. The 5.0s were just heavier Fox Bodies and the 96-98GTs....lol I'm not even going to go there.

I'm talking stock form as well. IMO, once mods get thrown into it, its a useless bench racing argument with the winner being the person who has more $$
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

lolz my friends Auto ws6 with a "built" a4 tranny and cat back and free mods i think lost to an i/catback 2006 si so yeah.

He swapped to a t56 then he added longtubes and other stuff but it still lost to a friends evo that was off a tooth of timing lol.

That evo lost to a minor bolt on solstice and that same solstice added more mods to later lose to a bolt on k-swap integra which was slow as hell compared to all the other k-cars here.

Lot of bench racing but Just to give you an example of how slow that LTx ws6 was.

That LTx was godly fast compared to an SN95, there was one at our HS he used to pick on all the time when it was catback free mods only. **** was funny.

What was the race with the LS1 to? was it from a dig?
That LT1 has to be running like ****. I had no problems with dad's Solstice GXP, bolt-on S2Ks and even a few turbo Civics and H22 hatches (granted they could have been running like **** too - the S2ks I know the drivers were just fine)

Dig run - back when I had the car I usually ran from a dig
Originally Posted by Cammed 02
Good kill OP!

I always LOL when I hear people call LT1's "turds" when infact they were faster than any car in their class and just as fast or darn close to many of the more expensive cars of that time (I.e. Supra TT, 3000GT VR4, 300ZX-TT, RX7, MR2 Turbo etc.). I remember like it was yesterday the look on naysayers faces when my '96 SS walked right pass them. LOL
This
It has 137,000 on the body, engine was rebuilt around 100,000.
Nice! I'd be curious to see what she throws down on a dyno and what you could run at the track with some seat time
Yeah I love mine. My next race will be against another friend with a 2012 v6 mustang, auto with a few bolt ons.
Those cars perform very well. Make sure you aren't asleep at the line
Kind of reminds of the LS1 vs Mustang GT now versus 10 years ago.

Thanks! I try to keep her clean.
Clean car
Dont sleep on that one. With a few bolt-ons they move quite well.
This
Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
A LT1 might be a joke nowadays
I know of a few local Iowans with H/C LT1s that would hurt some feelings
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
That LT1 has to be running like ****. I had no problems with dad's Solstice GXP, bolt-on S2Ks and even a few turbo Civics and H22 hatches (granted they could have been running like **** too - the S2ks I know the drivers were just fine)

This

Nice! I'd be curious to see what she throws down on a dyno and what you could run at the track with some seat time

Those cars perform very well. Make sure you aren't asleep at the line

Clean car

This

I know of a few local Iowans with H/C LT1s that would hurt some feelings
Id love to dyno it but just haven't, and supposedly the cobra has beaten the v6 mustang but I wouldn't count on it. We all (the group of friends) are actually going to be going to the track here every other Wednesday once school gets out, so ill see what times I get. Ive never raced at a track before so it should be fun.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id love to dyno it but just haven't, and supposedly the cobra has beaten the v6 mustang but I wouldn't count on it. We all (the group of friends) are actually going to be going to the track here every other Wednesday once school gets out, so ill see what times I get. Ive never raced at a track before so it should be fun.
Get used to it on street tires and possibly pick up a set of bias-ply tires for some extra grip. You'll lose a bit up top in the trap speed, but you'll 60 and ET better and the bias-plys will absorb most of the shock that would otherwise go to the 10 bolt
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i figured it was from a dig, dig has way to many variables. Who ever comes on tires and hooks usually wins even if the car is slower car. In this situation the WS6 ran from a roll mostly, it was just out powered.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i figured it was from a dig, dig has way to many variables. Who ever comes on tires and hooks usually wins even if the car is slower car. In this situation the WS6 ran from a roll mostly, it was just out powered.
Just some Nitto 555Rs that I DD'd on bro. NBD.

It did hook n' book on the street though. Most guys around here are pretty cool with going from a dig. I gained a lot of respect to the Honda bros around here who would and quit using traction as their excuse.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just some Nitto 555Rs that I DD'd on bro. NBD.

It did hook n' book on the street though. Most guys around here are pretty cool with going from a dig. I gained a lot of respect to the Honda bros around here who would and quit using traction as their excuse.
Yeah we did the same with a buddies hatch we threw tires on it went from the dig with lighter faster cars and frustrated alot of people i can't wait to get my 555r's howd you like yours?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can't wait to get my 555r's howd you like yours?
I liked them a lot. The guy who bought the car from me and sold it for a 01 ws6 is still using them. Not sure how many miles he has on them as he has 2 projects going on but they appear to have a decent amount of tread life left.

I'd highly recommend them for a DD car that you want some extra traction with and they do perfect in rain. If it were up to me though, I'd still find a set of more sticky tires for the drag strip runs
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Get used to it on street tires and possibly pick up a set of bias-ply tires for some extra grip. You'll lose a bit up top in the trap speed, but you'll 60 and ET better and the bias-plys will absorb most of the shock that would otherwise go to the 10 bolt
Would those really work with a 10 bolt? I'm just always worried I'll break it. I've been trying to practice on the street using an app on my phone and the best 60' I've gotten so far is 2.8 on 275 sumitomos and 17 inch zr1s. Pretty embarrassing
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Drive your heart out for this one, you'll have to I think. I raced my friend's 2012 V6 Mustang (catback, tune, A6) in my bone stock 6-speed LT1 Corvette, I pulled him by no more than a car 70-110.

Actually I have the "college kid" mod, so I'm not completely stock

Edit: I also have the Sumitomos, they're actually not bad in warm weather. They suck under 50 degrees though.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good runs! Something to be said about the excitement of the "slow" races from the early days when the cars were all almost stock and you're still trying to see what it can do.

Im sure in there time (early 90s/late 90s) they were strong runners. But 10 years later when i was in HS they weren't doing too hot.
Your friend had mechanical or electrical issues, or it was the slowest WS6 to ever roll off the assembly line. A bone stock 150k mile LT1 running like **** on bald tires should still beat an 06 si.

Quick Reply: LT1 Z28 vs SN95 Cobra vs MK4 GTi Turbo