Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

All motor 1989 hatch Mustang murdered GT-R from dig!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
Dont bother...
word. it's only hitman.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by markmatthews
Bingo. I'm sure as much as some of the guys hate to admit, this is definitely true. GTR basically owns the street and have the ultimate street cred right now IMO.

Relatively easy to mod, AWD, magic tranny, yes it's not always easy to drive it 10/10 but my Grandmother can beat 99% of cars on the road with it.

If I line up with a stock GTR in my, let's say, imaginary supercharged ls3 manual tranny Vette, at the light, I'd expect to lose unless my car is wearing its sunday's best (proper tires, suspension, blah blah blah) and I'm on my A game for that one race. The GTR? Put it in "R mode" or manual mode and there's a 99% chance it'll smoke me. If not that one time then the next time I screw up a shift or something. Even if I hit the drag strip every weekend the GTR just takes out almost all the possible errors that could prevent a car from going ***** to the wall fast from a dig.

If I win the dig race even with a 100whp and weight advantage I'd be fist pumping my targa roof off the car, while the GTR guy will probably just say "darn" and want to run me again so I can screw something up and not catch him after the launch.

I don't fear stock GTRs as much on the freeway but you put like 2 mods on the GTR and tune it and it'll rape faces.

Sorry been working for 18 hrs straight needed to do something else so typed this essay lawl. flame suit on?
A lot of cars are easy to mod. But GTRs are stupid expensive to mod.

Also last timne check teh UGR lamobo's are the king of the street right now. Besides this guy.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
I saw the Boost Logic GTR trap 166 last night at SAR. It ran 9.9 on that pass.

lolz.

6 speed...manuals...WITH LOOTTTTS left in them.

Watch the launches...look at the bog on big red, or the tires on the silver one... tell me they aren't going 8's the next time they hit up the track.

No AWD auto mod needed.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok now doing that on the street takes more work
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Ok now doing that on the street takes more work

..ofcourse but, he said it went 9.90@160 @ the track.....so,..RWD FTW at the track.

Last edited by V-seriesTech; 05-16-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80

Also last timne check teh UGR lamobo's are the king of the street right now. Besides this guy.
Street car my ***. Larson has "street car", that isn't.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Bunch of local guys who build stangs saw this vid and called BS on the power this stang makes.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

World's Fastest Street Car **World Record Pass 6.59@220mph 2012** - RedVictor 3 - YouTube
You assume that GT-R owners don't have the money to mod their cars. Plenty of the GT-R owners I know who really care about going fast in a straight line mod them up to insane levels like it's no big deal. To those guys money is no object.

Additionally they are very responsive to modifications at any level, from bolt ons to full builds. Fast enough that they can go toe to toe with those "king of the street" lambos.

Now Larry's car is really just a tagged and insured drag car. It's basically useless on the street. It can drive on the street and that's about it.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beans
How the **** are you supposed to get any race if you don't ask for it?

Evan is looking for stock and mildly modded GTRs. The only one who has agreed to race him he knew he would lose to and manned up and raced anyway, it's not like he's trying to set up someone with a stock '09 and 3 passengers in the car.

Just the fact that GTR owners have the attitude of "This lesser car wants to beat me 'as a stepping stone' or 'for street cred'" shows the arrogance of many owners.

It's not a GTR specific thing, a lot of high end car owners are this way when called out by a 'lesser' vehicle that might be just as fast.
Agreed, Why would you NOT ask someone with a Kick### car to race? That statement makes NO sense.

I went to the Ga 1/2 mile shoot out a meet a few very cool GTR guys, even got a ride in one @ 151.9 MPH.

I also have a friend who was at TX2K13 with his 1200+ GTR, one of the ones that went 8's, we were going to race when he was only at 46Xish but now I told him i would like to ride, that way it would be fun to waste some gas. Seems like some GTR owners are just people too.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
Street car my ***. Larson has "street car", that isn't.
Mr. Larson still has the title
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Can't disagree, the car is also expensive to get into. That's why I put "relatively" easy to mod

Getting a GTR to 600whp (FBO and tune I believe), which would basically rape faces all day on the street, is relatively cheap. Getting my base Vette to 600whp will cost at least 5k for a used supercharger doing all the labor myself, and a 600whp GTR will destroy me 10/10 times on the street from a dig in random encounters lawl

How much does it cost to get a GTR to 600whp? I'm sure 5k will take care of it, minus the inconvenience of running E85, but I have several stations where i live

The drag cars posted are all great, but like I said they need to have a lot more variables lined up for them on the *street* to be able to perform even near their full potential, let along consistency between runs. UGR Lambos, etc. are no doubt beast cars, but when a GTR owner is not at an event like Tk13 he/she pretty much won't need to fear many cars on the street, unless it's a highway pull with Evan's Boss

Before I start to sound too much like a GTR fanboy, I can never live without a rumbling v8 and 3 pedals, so unfortunately I will never take a GTR over even my base Vette (yes i'm serious). But when I can afford to have the GTR as a 2nd car I WILL have one in my garage, because it's a freaking beast. Having a bad day? Take it out for a drive and destroy everybody from light to light lawl (kidding)

Sorry for writing a book again...better than doing real work
Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by assasinator
in my mind the previosly Japan only GT-r has the ultimate street cred. i guess i'm a straight 6 fan and never have considered a v6 in Nissan(Datsun) a real engine. we've owned straight 6 datsuns(280z)(laurel's) since 1976 in my family.

mom and dad still only buy nissan's.

btw the current r35 has no right being called godzilla IMO. it is NOT a dominant race car.

THIS IS: 3300lbs, AWD, 500HP in highest tune. it OWNS the current GT-r in every way.

I LOVE the R34, I basically had/still have a life-long boner for it. But when I say "street cred" I meant the ability to basically destroy all other cars from a performance standpoint in random encounters, which the R35 with its magic tranny is ridiculously and consistently good at

Looks wise the R34 destroys the R35, it's not even close. Even with the econobox interior I'd take a R34 body with R35 powertrain all day every day and twice on sundays
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by markmatthews
Can't disagree, the car is also expensive to get into. That's why I put "relatively" easy to mod

Getting a GTR to 600whp (FBO and tune I believe), which would basically rape faces all day on the street, is relatively cheap. Getting my base Vette to 600whp will cost at least 5k for a used supercharger doing all the labor myself, and a 600whp GTR will destroy me 10/10 times on the street from a dig in random encounters lawl

How much does it cost to get a GTR to 600whp? I'm sure 5k will take care of it, minus the inconvenience of running E85, but I have several stations where i live

The drag cars posted are all great, but like I said they need to have a lot more variables lined up for them on the *street* to be able to perform even near their full potential, let along consistency between runs. UGR Lambos, etc. are no doubt beast cars, but when a GTR owner is not at an event like Tk13 he/she pretty much won't need to fear many cars on the street, unless it's a highway pull with Evan's Boss

Before I start to sound too much like a GTR fanboy, I can never live without a rumbling v8 and 3 pedals, so unfortunately I will never take a GTR over even my base Vette (yes i'm serious). But when I can afford to have the GTR as a 2nd car I WILL have one in my garage, because it's a freaking beast. Having a bad day? Take it out for a drive and destroy everybody from light to light lawl (kidding)

Sorry for writing a book again...better than doing real work
From what I seen 5k isnt going to cover full bolt ons for a gtr. Hell they have exhaust that cost 8k.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

From what I seen 5k isnt going to cover full bolt ons for a gtr. Hell they have exhaust that cost 8k.
I paid $5700 for full bolt ons for my car. There is actually a kit that you can get for the GT-R with full bolt ons that's under 4 grand. See here:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...ackage-600whp/

Beyond bolt ons GT-Rs are expensive to mod but at the bolt on level they really aren't that bad. The big obstacles that make them expensive to mod above bolt on levels is the transmission. Even then you can still find good deals on parts for a high horsepower GT-R.

Now as for exhausts that costs 8k, that is if you get some JDM exhaust made from super high grade metal (inconel or titanium) and even most you can get for way less than 8k. This is something I would know really well as I was looking for the best deals on parts.

If GT-R's were extremely ridiculously expensive to mod, no one would be modding them.

Last edited by TheHitman; 05-17-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheHitman
I paid $5700 for full bolt ons for my car. There is actually a kit that you can get for the GT-R with full bolt ons that's under 4 grand. See here:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...ackage-600whp/

Beyond bolt ons GT-Rs are expensive to mod but at the bolt on level they really aren't that bad. The big obstacles that make them expensive to mod above bolt on levels is the transmission. Even then you can still find good deals on parts for a high horsepower GT-R.

Now as for exhausts that costs 8k, that is if you get some JDM exhaust made from super high grade metal (inconel or titanium) and even most you can get for way less than 8k. This is something I would know really well as I was looking for the best deals on parts.

If GT-R's were extremely ridiculously expensive to mod, no one would be modding them.
This is pretty much what I figured...I had a few Evos/Stis before and they're dirt cheap to mod when you're still on stock turbo and just need a turbo back and tune, beyond that things start to get pricey. The GTR is similar, just more expensive at each stage.

And 8k exhausts are definitely freaking ridiculous, but that's nothing new from JDM land.

What power is your GTR making, and what does it run in the 1/4? D/A etc. info would be great as well

Edit: that link looks like a damn good deal
Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Buy a welder, buy your material, make your own.

I don't get it. The money you spend in a catback(stupid), you could buy aluminum, Vband everything, buy two turbos, and some fuel upgrades..... if you did it yourself.

Market-sell.

Matter of fact, I have a buddy, work out of his garage, anyone wants a custom aluminum or stainless catback, bring your car, he'll make it for you all day long.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Love seeing this! I finally got my 86 notch roller and I can't wait to go cruising in a fox again. Somebody should've kicked me in the nuts when I sold my 87 for a 95.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech

I don't get it. The money you spend in a catback(stupid), you could buy aluminum, Vband everything, buy two turbos, and some fuel upgrades..... if you did it yourself.

Market-sell.

Matter of fact, I have a buddy, work out of his garage, anyone wants a custom aluminum or stainless catback, bring your car, he'll make it for you all day long.
Fkn lol this. I hate off the shelf exhausts. Wheres he located btw? might have a buddy making a y pipe to fit his borla.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Seriously. Im making my Turbo kit for my Boss, making V band catback and X pipe.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech

Market-sell.

There's so much more to it than just bolting on a piece of 2.5" pipe and calling it good. For instance on an m3 a guy bought a cheap eBay straight pipe exhaust. No harm done. Should make more power. But no, since it required 2 bends in the wrong location, not only did it hurt the fitment somewhat, but it also lost power in the end over stock. It's more than just slapping a pair of larger tubes on the car. Spool characteristics, net power, high rpm capable turbos vs low, budget, the type of turbo, etc. That's the reason kits exist. The research has been done and in cases costs a lot to return the money to the company, the installer, the tuner, and anyone else involved in piecing a kit together. That's why higher end cars bolt on parts costs so much more. The parts are cheap, it's the hassle of tuning, resizing, tuning again, fitment, and finding a car to work with. All of these expensive associated costs go into part development.

Quick Reply: All motor 1989 hatch Mustang murdered GT-R from dig!