Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

This was an absoloute joke.... 300 wheel hp Cavalier inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I dont have boost by gear . Of course, I also dont have traction issues except for launching, so....meh.
Must be nice . The most I'll ever really be able to use in 3rd is 525whp, then 4th brings the rain.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^ real world problems

Has many horsepowers, can "only" us 500 of them.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camper
I somewhat get that... Im just thinking on terms of possible resale and starting platform.. Its alot of money to sink into a very limited platform/audience.

I think its cool to think outside the box but I dont think I could do it to that extreme personally.

I guess its on the same level as the honda scene though.
To any person with an exotic car they would sit here and laugh at you for modding a mustang and a a camaro. People do what they want with there money/cars you don't need to question it, just accept it and move on.

Originally Posted by willizm
Alot of things haven't really made it's presence in the domestic crowd when talking turbo setups. Trust me, I got some supra buddies that are ride my *** about using a stock pcm on my setup. I think I may pull the trigger on ProEFI to take advantage of all the slick features and safeties that they have, but not many if any guys around here use it. There are some guys running boost by gear but since i'm a stalled auto I don't think it's a feature that is as necessary as the 6mt guys.
supra owners are retards, not really anything you can do BUT get an EMS in there position.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium

supra owners are retards, not really anything you can do BUT get an EMS in there position.
Well I understand that in their platform the stock PCM is very limiting when pushing more than 600whp so going with an aftermarket PCM is a requirement like how any fbody owner would need a different rear end with anything over those power levels. It's not that they are retarded considering the couple that I know built their cars out of their garage and make far more power reliably than I probably ever will. The nifty things that those ProEFI systems can do really sell me on it though. Very precise timing control, integrated flex fuel that automatically adjust boost and timing and stoich AFR based on ethanol content, better traction control that pulls boost/timing/fuel to maintain precise traction and performance(better than boost by gear), rolling antilag, etc. Hell you can even tie in a coolant pressure sender so that if the car detects a lose in pressure, say a lifting head, the ProEFI automatically backs the car down.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pnykillerz28ls1
i used to have a caviler as my dd and it was such a shitty car i couldn't imagine putting any money into one, but hey im sure he surprises a lot of people with it
Same here... Only replace cavalier with camaro.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Banned

Well I understand that in their platform the stock PCM is very limiting when pushing more than 600whp so going with an aftermarket PCM is a requirement like how any fbody owner would need a different rear end with anything over those power levels.
I know a guy down here in miami who made like 700-800whp on an SAFC on a supra in the 90s. Its not impossible or anything its just most guys are smart and skip the BS and go straight to a EMS. Most of them don't wait for 600whp. As soon as they throw in the big single they go ahead and order an EMS with it.

It's not that they are retarded considering the couple that I know built their cars out of their garage and make far more power reliably than I probably ever will. The nifty things that those ProEFI systems can do really sell me on it though. Very precise timing control, integrated flex fuel that automatically adjust boost and timing and stoich AFR based on ethanol content, better traction control that pulls boost/timing/fuel to maintain precise traction and performance(better than boost by gear), rolling antilag, etc. Hell you can even tie in a coolant pressure sender so that if the car detects a lose in pressure, say a lifting head, the ProEFI automatically backs the car down.

ProEFI is so expensive i haven't even looked at it or into it. For the price i think id rather have a megasquirt or haltech system. Im not sure if there both plug n play for our cars, the megasquirt i know for sure isn't. I know of all the extras an EMS brings its nice really nice, but we aren't like supra owners that NEED one to do anything with our cars. People have made ALOT of power with HP tuners, and its alot more common then with supras. A supra owner loling at you for running a stock PCM is literally retarded. It works, cool features aside.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
I know a guy down here in miami who made like 700-800whp on an SAFC on a supra in the 90s. Its not impossible or anything its just most guys are smart and skip the BS and go straight to a EMS. Most of them don't wait for 600whp. As soon as they throw in the big single they go ahead and order an EMS with it.

ProEFI is so expensive i haven't even looked at it or into it. For the price i think id rather have a megasquirt or haltech system. Im not sure if there both plug n play for our cars, the megasquirt i know for sure isn't. I know of all the extras an EMS brings its nice really nice, but we aren't like supra owners that NEED one to do anything with our cars. People have made ALOT of power with HP tuners, and its alot more common then with supras. A supra owner loling at you for running a stock PCM is literally retarded. It works, cool features aside.
I'm spoiled with our modded Factory Honda ecus that can do almost all the things stand alones can do $-1000 lol
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah dont get me wrong. Hptuners and a stock pcm can carry my car a far way. It would be nice to have more integration with my setup and that is what ProEFI allows. If I start pushing into 1000-1200whp territory down the road then going proefi is probably what I'll do.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I'm spoiled with our modded Factory Honda ecus that can do almost all the things stand alones can do $-1000 lol
There is a lot of variance and price difference in standalone ecu's. are you saying the stock PCM can do the things a megasqyuirt can or proefi?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Teching In

There is a lot of variance and price difference in standalone ecu's. are you saying the stock PCM can do the things a megasqyuirt can or proefi?
They arent as flexible and have many inputs or outputs, but all the boost control, live data logging, real time tuning, etc. They can do the job perfectly fine for 99% of people. Only really track only cars have stand alones.

You can get a stock ecu, solder in a $20 chip kit in and be tuning away.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

The Evos are pretty capable on the factory Ecu as well. About the only features we can get are 2 step and no lift shift though. Mines two stepped but i dont feel like putting the drivetrain under the stress of no lift shift.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
The Evos are pretty capable on the factory Ecu as well. About the only features we can get are 2 step and no lift shift though. Mines two stepped but i dont feel like putting the drivetrain under the stress of no lift shift.
Nobody asked about your Evo.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Must be nice . The most I'll ever really be able to use in 3rd is 525whp, then 4th brings the rain.
Haha I can only manage about 15-18psi in 3rd gear depending on pavement temperature But yeah... 4th gear brings the rain with ~22-24psi or so before wheelspin.

I bought my Trans Am in 2003 because I wanted a fast DD as I really built my Integra. They've both been amazing cars. Now I'm looking for a new DD as I get ready to build the Trans Am into something nasty.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Nobody asked about your Evo.
I was discussing tuning options with lightning, nobody asked about his honda either but I dont see you bitching at him.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

how's this for a cavalier?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

lmao for real. I lol everytime people make it seem like anti lag and boost by gear etc... is some sort of CRAZY feature. ******* 90s honda ECU's with a $20 chip have it.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
9 Second Club

Antilag and boost by gear are not the features I care about when it comes to proefi. I could get an msd 2step wired into my trans brake and eboost2 for boost by gear if I really wanted those features. I want the slick integration of boost control, flex fuel and safety features that don't come with a cheap ecu solution and are limitations in the stock ecu. You guys are trying to compare Taco Bell to a porterhouse steak as if its the same. Smh

Last edited by willizm; 06-19-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Mmmmmmm steak
Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Banned

Antilag and boost by gear are not the features I care about when it comes to proefi. I could get an msd 2step wired into my trans brake and eboost2 for boost by gear if I really wanted those features. I want the slick integration of boost control, flex fuel and safety features that don't come with a cheap ecu solution and are limitations in the stock ecu. You guys are trying to compare Taco Bell to a porterhouse steak as if its the same. Smh
Im not comparing anything.

Go buy a ProEFI already.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Teching In

So you'd have to buy addition stuff to do all that?

The ecu can do boost control too, with closed loop correction, fast spool, boost by gear, boost by rpm, lean protection, etc etc.

When you compare the cost difference, its a no brainer. No one said it beats stand alones, just said it can do most of the things 99% of people want.

The biggest thing I can think of stand alones have is having nearly unlimited sensor inputs and programmable outputs.

Quick Reply: This was an absoloute joke.... 300 wheel hp Cavalier inside