Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

This was an absoloute joke.... 300 wheel hp Cavalier inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
So you'd have to buy addition stuff to do all that?

The ecu can do boost control too, with closed loop correction, fast spool, boost by gear, boost by rpm, lean protection, etc etc.

When you compare the cost difference, its a no brainer. No one said it beats stand alones, just said it can do most of the things 99% of people want.

The biggest thing I can think of stand alones have is having nearly unlimited sensor inputs and programmable outputs.
So you are not using a stand alone boost controller like a truboost or eboost2 and can control boost at a flick of a switch through the stock/reworked pcm that came in your honda? I understand the cost savings. hell my piggyback on my 135i has integrated 2 step, nls, boost control(7 on the fly maps), with all the safeties that pull timing and boost if need be. Not all platforms can do that though such as the ls pcm in my TA. I'm going for north of 1000whp soon and want better control over ign timing, boost control, and safety systems that can not be found in stock style pcms so yes I'm going to buy additional stuff because this is a 95% street driven car that I daily during 9 months of the year. Yeah my stock pcm can make it work, but I won't be able to get as precise of a tune as I'd want out of it without going standalone.

Look at it like this. With a stock style pcm you would usually tune with a window of safety so that if there is any variance in fuel, air quality, barometric pressure, boost control, AFR, etc that you wouldn't be on the ragged edge which would result in catastrophic failure. With the ProEFI you can push the car closer to that precise edge as it's monitoring all those inputs that you'd normally leave a window of variance for as the standalone will react accordingly based off of those variances it can now detect.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
So you are not using a stand alone boost controller like a truboost or eboost2 and can control boost at a flick of a switch through the stock/reworked pcm that came in your honda? I understand the cost savings. hell my piggyback on my 135i has integrated 2 step, nls, boost control(7 on the fly maps), with all the safeties that pull timing and boost if need be. Not all platforms can do that though such as the ls pcm in my TA. I'm going for north of 1000whp soon and want better control over ign timing, boost control, and safety systems that can not be found in stock style pcms so yes I'm going to buy additional stuff because this is a 95% street driven car that I daily during 9 months of the year. Yeah my stock pcm can make it work, but I won't be able to get as precise of a tune as I'd want out of it without going standalone.

Look at it like this. With a stock style pcm you would usually tune with a window of safety so that if there is any variance in fuel, air quality, barometric pressure, boost control, AFR, etc that you wouldn't be on the ragged edge which would result in catastrophic failure. With the ProEFI you can push the car closer to that precise edge as it's monitoring all those inputs that you'd normally leave a window of variance for as the standalone will react accordingly based off of those variances it can now detect.
Right. But like lighting said some of the factory ecus (after programming) are more capable than others. My boost is controlled by a pcm operated boost control solenoid. When I switch from my E85 to 91 maps it drops the boost down to about 20 while its at 30 on E. Knock and afr safeties are programmed in along with flashing my CEL when knock is detected. Im not saying it would be a valid replacement for a standalone but at my power levels and goals it works perfectly fine. Hell there are guys running north of 900 on the factory pcm's.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Right. But like lighting said some of the factory ecus (after programming) are more capable than others. My boost is controlled by a pcm operated boost control solenoid. When I switch from my E85 to 91 maps it drops the boost down to about 20 while its at 30 on E. Knock and afr safeties are programmed in along with flashing my CEL when knock is detected. Im not saying it would be a valid replacement for a standalone but at my power levels and goals it works perfectly fine. Hell there are guys running north of 900 on the factory pcm's.
totally agree, some ecu's are better than others, but all are different with differing limitations. It's absolutely fine for my 135i with the power levels i'm at as well so I wouldn't consider anything drastic for that car. Being that you have an evo i'd expect there to be better features for that ecu considering it's a factory turbo car much the same as my 135i. Like anything else. You can make something work, but how well it works depends on how much power you intend to make while keeping everything safe.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
So you are not using a stand alone boost controller like a truboost or eboost2 and can control boost at a flick of a switch through the stock/reworked pcm that came in your honda?
Yes. Its just a generic Mac solenoid that everyone uses (AEM, Greddy etc, can get them without the sticker for $40 on ebay now).

I only have 1 switch for turning it off and on which basically serves as low/high boost. When its off its just waste gate. When its on it reverts to the duty cycle / gear maps. But I could have another switch to swap duty cycle maps for different fuels and such if I really wanted.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
So you'd have to buy addition stuff to do all that?

The ecu can do boost control too, with closed loop correction, fast spool, boost by gear, boost by rpm, lean protection, etc etc.

When you compare the cost difference, its a no brainer. No one said it beats stand alones, just said it can do most of the things 99% of people want.

The biggest thing I can think of stand alones have is having nearly unlimited sensor inputs and programmable outputs.
Exactly. Couldn't respond like this cause i had to head to work this morning but yeah. That is dead on.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never use my 91 map, I kind of want to have an an E98 map done for s's and g's.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I never use my 91 map, I kind of want to have an an E98 map done for s's and g's.
Do you have enough injector/pump to run it? Lots of fuel to move running that much ethanol. I'm looking at going FIC2150's but haven't figured out what pump setup yet. Dual walbro 255's won't keep up much past where i'm currently at.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Walbro 255 and 4 FIC1250's. I'm looking into a DW400 to replace the walbro.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Boost by gear = right foot
Murica
I literally laughed out loud here.

I used to have a turbo 4 cy too! 05 GTI, gt28rs, 340whp.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

says the ricer "i used to have a 4ci sti 14psi lns gtrs trype r with f2b460.s and nxp 2.5# tuner points in xp helm level pulser ttis pdq fyi with 324.7fwhp that if i had the boost set right and had a better clutch and had a tune and had dr's and had a breeze i cud blah blah blah"
i have an LS1. says the winner of the race. ;

Quick Reply: This was an absoloute joke.... 300 wheel hp Cavalier inside