Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'96Z 396 LTx Stroker beats back Cammed/Header 5th Gen SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013 | 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been impressed with LT1's (except Austin's tin can) or 2V's and kind of lump them into the same category.
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
So you're still defending this 396 and that its performing like it should with his said mods?
To this moment, there is not a single contribution in, now well over 550 posts, which has conveyed ANY sentiment, which could reasonably be inferred to represent that the author believes that the 396 is running at it's full potential.

From the OP forward, the consensus has been that the 396 is NOT running at it's full potential, with the thread being created for no other reason, than to simply note where it is, and to log the adventures in getting it closer TO its full potential.

Puck, having from his FIRST contribution, made it irrepressibly clear, that his take is that the car is operating WELL BELOW its full potential, having listed everything from Heads to Gears as sound examples of why it is not.

So, with that said Mario, would ya care to offer up a excuse for your assertion that such is the case?

I for one, am curious. I mean sure, you're on the hook to race it and when the under-performing 396 hits the trap ahead of your exquisitely tuned and otherwise thoroughly prepared example of FI-Ford Racing regalia… the fact that the 396 is under-performing could eat away at a fragile character, such as your's… so I'm guessin' that THAT could be ONE possible reason.

I'd just like to hear your feelin's on it, to get it on the record and all…

Last edited by OVA1; 08-18-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
I have never been impressed with LT1's (except Austin's tin can) or 2V's and kind of lump them into the same category.
Yeah… but you're you. So the weight of the sentiment becomes somewhat diminished by the root source.

Do me a favor and count the valves in the head cited below and tell me if, in your final analysis, THIS engine would be sufficient to quell your need for internet-speed?

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...photo_04.html#

Ya see, I've counted 'em several times and I keep getting '2'… But your analysis finds the 2 valve design insufficient. Yet, the fastest cars on the planet use… (wait for it…) … (almost there…)

TWO VALVES!

So… do ya see where such an opinion would sorta glance off, having little effect in terms of altering the overall significant history of massive power generation, in the one valve in and one valve out, world of design?
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You clearly are not good at reading if you took as much time READING as you did typing you'd be a sharp guy

So you're still defending this 396 and that its performing like it should with his said mods?

This meaning your mismatched gears, Terrible cam choice, Tiny heads
that its running like it should..... We all know you mismatched a bunch of parts and it under performs I just want the LT1 homers to say this car is doing exact what they think it should as it sits
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

So you were all confident now

It is what it is

I'll give you the honors of posting the videos of our race and shoot its an event night too right? might be able to go a few rounds and win some real money!
'Confident' is a relative term… But I came into this thread confident that I have never been taken down by a Mustank on the street. Because, that is a fact.

I look at you, read your threads on various sites and I remain confident that, IF you get to the stage on the 7th… that the under-performing 396 will hit the trap before your finely tuned Forced Induction, Nitrous Oxide burning, Super shiney, adorably blue 'Terminator' : .

OH! Track said I should tell you to bring your own mop… Its Bracket Racing that day and they want to limit the time it takes to clean your lane when you throw the switch on that 200 shot you'll inevitably talk yourself into, detonating everything from the crank to the diff.

So yeah… I am confident; but in fairness, YOU are the source… and I know that means everything to ya.
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OVA1
Yeah… but you're you. So the weight of the sentiment becomes somewhat diminished by the root source.

Do me a favor and count the valves in the head cited below and tell me if, in your final analysis, THIS engine would be sufficient to quell your need for internet-speed?

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...photo_04.html#

Ya see, I've counted 'em several times and I keep getting '2'… But your analysis finds the 2 valve design insufficient. Yet, the fastest cars on the planet use… (wait for it…) … (almost there…)

TWO VALVES!

So… do ya see where such an opinion would sorta glance off, having little effect in terms of altering the overall significant history of massive power generation, in the one valve in and one valve out, world of design?

I know that you like typing up all big and smart like, but at some point in life you have to put the thesaurus down and look around at other car engines besides the LT1.

The "2V" designation refers the 2 valve modular engine family that Ford Motor Co. produces. It is widely known for powering slow Mustang's, Taxi's and Cop cars.
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

http://camaroforums.com/forum/vs-87/...18/#post638902

Nice kill list BRO!

runs 7.7's but wipes the floors with GTR's and such....
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

You clearly are not good at reading if you took as much time READING as you did typing you'd be a sharp guy

This meaning your mismatched gears, Terrible cam choice, Tiny heads
that its running like it should..... We all know you mismatched a bunch of parts and it under performs I just want the LT1 homers to say this car is doing exact what they think it should as it sits
Here's a TIP: Enlarging the font size of a fatally flawed premise, cannot alter the invalid construct of the false premise.

The heads are not tiny, having been used on 396 prior to my purchase, they were worked and maxed out, flowing 300 @ .600 according to the porter's bench assessment. That's pretty close to what the stock 210s flow…

There's nothing terrible about the choice of that cam… But if you'd like to talk to the boys at Comp Cams, and you get them to agree with your opinion, I'll happily take the refund… and whatever you convince them would be a better choice. I want to wish you the very BEST of luck in getting that done.

And with regard to what you "THINK"… you've shown pisc-little evidence of doin much of it. You're significant'y increasing the spinner displacement, which you'll, no doubt, under-pulley and you're adding a shot of the liquidator to spin it up quick… on a stock diff, stock clutch and stock shorty…

I'll be amazed if you make it down here with any clutch at all… and can't WAIT to hear the impassioned explanation on how ya 'missed third', my personal and all too humble FAVORITE excuse by those who've risen to 2nd PLACE!
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

LMFAO

So ported AFR's? Puck where are you at now to defend the "tiny" heads....

And stock clutch, Stock blower, Stock injectors, Stock MAF, Stock pulley

get it right, I'd say go read my OPEN post all over the internet about the car but I know you can't read. And clearly don't know much if you think porting a blower adds displacement....
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was the first to say it WASN'T performing like it should. He ran quicker with his 350 then his current 396, what is so hard to understand about that? The car is still being dialed in and had some glaring issues. 7.7's is not its final performance mark. Even with the shortcoming of the hardware(his parts were picked for a 350ci street car, not a 396ci strip car, and reused for his build), there is more in the car just by looking at the 60'.

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Face it, the sbc is just junk now. The LS stole the spotlight, took all its glory and it no longer deserves any credit especially after a 48 yr production run.
SBC > LSx. When you get past the slow high school bolt-on builds the LS has a loooonnnggg way to go to catch up to the SBC. BBC > all though, so no point in arguing for runner ups. If my new motor doesn't make ~600-625 NA when I break it in on the engine dyno I'm parting it out and building a ~750hp pump gas BBC.

Originally Posted by Heater
Lol c'mon man, that's harsh. You haven't ran enough LT1s if you lump them in with 2Vs . I was putting bus lengths on 2v's with only bolt-ons 9 years ago.

People need to realize any car can be fast* with enough smarts and cash. I know 4cyl's that will take the lunch money from 99% of the people that post in SRK.

*except a 2V Stang lol!
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

http://camaroforums.com/forum/vs-87/...18/#post638902

Nice kill list BRO!

runs 7.7's but wipes the floors with GTR's and such....
Hey… GTR stages and get's to the trap after I do and THAT is a win.

Don't know how they do it in the Airforce… probably some 'stress-card' curve used to mitigate the emotional turmoil associated with the … ( Loss ) … but down here, it's all about objective standards… measured course, timed launch, first to cross the finish line, wins.

Now that was the first or second addition of the GTR, ran him twice, he lost both times… he also lost his tranny on the next pass.

But them be the facts… That those facts confuse you, is not something I am going to be able to help ya with.
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Let me guess you have 0 videos of any of them kills.....
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
I was the first to say it WASN'T performing like it should. He ran quicker with his 350 then his current 396, what is so hard to understand about that? The car is still being dialed in and had some glaring issues. 7.7's is not its final performance mark. Even with the shortcoming of the hardware(his parts were picked for a 350ci street car, not a 396ci strip car, and reused for his build), there is more in the car just by looking at the 60'.

SBC > LSx. When you get past the slow high school bolt-on builds the LS has a loooonnnggg way to go to catch up to the SBC. BBC > all though, so no point in arguing for runner ups. If my new motor doesn't make ~600-625 NA when I break it in on the engine dyno I'm parting it out and building a ~750hp pump gas BBC.

Lol c'mon man, that's harsh. You haven't ran enough LT1s if you lump them in with 2Vs . I was putting bus lengths on 2v's with only bolt-ons 9 years ago.

People need to realize any car can be fast* with enough smarts and cash. I know 4cyl's that will take the lunch money from 99% of the people that post in SRK.

*except a 2V Stang lol!
ROFLMNAO!

YEAH! What HE SAID!
10 Second Club

*except a 2V Stang lol!
Hey now he said his heads have been ported, so whats the excuse there now ....?
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMFAO

So ported AFR's? Puck where are you at now to defend the "tiny" heads....
Please stop posting about his mods, you are showing your GM ignorance more and more .

They are AFR 195s, AKA the second smallest AFR head made, recommended for modded 350ci motors. Ported stockers from LE usually end up around 205ccs, and AI's famed 200c kit is, not surprisingly, 200ccs. Please tell me how AFR 195s are race car again?

For comparison, my ported AFRs are now 227cc's and probably flow 30CFM more @ .6 and ~50CFM more @ .7...on a smaller motor.

Newer models go up to 235cc's out of the box!
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OVA1
Here's a TIP: Enlarging the font size of a fatally flawed premise, cannot alter the invalid construct of the false premise.

The heads are not tiny, having been used on 396 prior to my purchase, they were worked and maxed out, flowing 300 @ .600 according to the porter's bench assessment. That's pretty close to what the stock 210s flow…

There's nothing terrible about the choice of that cam… But if you'd like to talk to the boys at Comp Cams, and you get them to agree with your opinion, I'll happily take the refund… and whatever you convince them would be a better choice. I want to wish you the very BEST of luck in getting that done.

And with regard to what you "THINK"… you've shown pisc-little evidence of doin much of it. You're significant'y increasing the spinner displacement, which you'll, no doubt, under-pulley and you're adding a shot of the liquidator to spin it up quick… on a stock diff, stock clutch and stock shorty…

I'll be amazed if you make it down here with any clutch at all… and can't WAIT to hear the impassioned explanation on how ya 'missed third', my personal and all too humble FAVORITE excuse by those who've risen to 2nd PLACE!
His heads are flowing 300 CFM puck what gives this guy giving LT1s a bad name for you guys
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Let me guess you have 0 videos of any of them kills.....
Oh Good guess…

See! With practice ya DO get better.

What's your point? No Video, it didn't happen? Which would be a CLASSIC example of ad ignorantiam. the fatally flawed construct which appeals to the ignorance born in the absence of tangible evidence…

Yessir, the Air Force really stretches out there for the highest caliber intellects.

Of course, you could deny the inherently implied conclusion, which, and let's be honest, such holds a ton of promise in terms of first rate potential for entertainment. SO… If it matters, THAT would be my desire.

But, it's your choice…
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

His heads are flowing 300 CFM puck what gives this guy giving LT1s a bad name for you guys
Does it? Huh…

How so? And please.. BE SPECIFIC.
Old 08-18-2013 | 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

I come from a GM background and know plenty, I know the LT1 is a platform that people like Taner, Tony Sheppard, Mike V have all made an impression in, But you defending this car is just beyond me.

He just said his heads flow over 300 cfm which really don't mean **** because flow numbers vs port velocity is such a widely discussed and argued subject, There is a reason people convert over SBC stuff to the LT1 because the aftermarket companies seen there is no market, and better things out there that people are more likely to use. and BBC and SBC have been around for how long? I'd sure hope they would out perform a platform thats been out for 1/4 of its time.....
Old 08-18-2013 | 02:02 PM
On The Tree

*except a 2V Stang lol!

LoL, I didn't say that they were slow, they are just under performers in my opinion.

They are AFR 195s, AKA the second smallest AFR head made, recommended for modded 350ci motors.

They might be what you consider small, but I have still seen quite a few 383 cubic inch and larger engines run damn good with them.

Quick Reply: '96Z 396 LTx Stroker beats back Cammed/Header 5th Gen SS