Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Official LS1 Tech: 9/7 "Lawhead -v- OVA1 Race" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FultonPerformance
Is it just me or does it seem that this is turning into a LS tech official talk and call out thread?
Wellllll now that you say it...any slow cars around SoCal wanna catch a run with my 96Z28?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since its pretty much a BS thread now, I'll be picking up my milled down head studs this week to get my heads and shaftmounts installed(four middle ones don't clear the shaftmount pedestals). Then I just need a 24x conversion harness, AFPR+braided lines, and some custom headers and I'm ready for the engine dyno for break-in/tuning. ~$2500 more for the engine, then tranny (Performabuilt 4l60e w/ ATI Treemaster ~4400 or so depending on peak TQ) and rear end (was planning on 12bolt but now I'm thinking 9" in case I want to spray into the 9s).

If it doesn't make 600hp NA, I'm selling it or parting it out and going BBC .

All goes well and I should be roaming the streets by January/February...was going to paint it but might keep it looking raggedy so people don't take it seriously - not many people will turn down a race against a faded paint NA LT1 .
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

I'm wondering how long this thread will go
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Puck
Since its pretty much a BS thread now, I'll be picking up my milled down head studs this week to get my heads and shaftmounts installed(four middle ones don't clear the shaftmount pedestals). Then I just need a 24x conversion harness, AFPR+braided lines, and some custom headers and I'm ready for the engine dyno for break-in/tuning. ~$2500 more for the engine, then tranny (Performabuilt 4l60e w/ ATI Treemaster ~4400 or so depending on peak TQ) and rear end (was planning on 12bolt but now I'm thinking 9" in case I want to spray into the 9s).

At the flywheel or at the back tire?

At the back tire would be Very stout.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Woke up quick...at about noon...just thought that I had to be in.......?????????????
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

All goes well and I should be roaming the streets by January/February...was going to paint it but might keep it looking raggedy so people don't take it seriously - not many people will turn down a race against a faded paint NA LT1 .
Yeah… You gotsta to be careful brother. They're everywhere.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Well there's good news to report.

YA know how I've talked about that rarest of all nights, when the car is on, the driver is on, there's a great field and everytime ya stage up ya take another one down!

We got her out to the track last night… and as I am pulling up, my nemesis SS, which started the old thread is staging up to make a pass.

As I am coming back from signing in, I see he's pulled in next to my pit and I shake his hand and he tells me he's been there since 5:00. Sadly it's 8:00 and the track doesn't open 'till 6:00. So he's about ready to pack it in.

I tell him he has GOT to give me a pass… and he says OK. And informs me that this is the last good chance to take him, 'cause he's all set to get the blower next week.

I'm like, fine…

So I start pullin' the plates off the dumps and I hear a bracket ricer rat-a-tat-tattin' his *** off and I feel a cool wet breeze…

Bracket car launches… I hear him in it, then he's out, then he's in.. then I hear the unmistakable sound of the wall being introduced and sure enough that's followed by him being totally and finally out.

I come out from under the car… Dude is leaving, tracks closed and the heavy gray sky to the east has turned to a MONSTER BLACK WALL, laced with lightening every few seconds and there's a 20-25 mph cool wind coming right down the lane.

So dude leaves and I stage up for the first few passes to get the PCM set for the open dumps.

The new tune has the bottom end ridiculously snappy and quick and I did a decent burnout, but she no hooky… THEN, at the top of second, she noses over and sits banging' off the limiter. Finally shift, rips up to the top of third, noses over and bangs off the limiter.

And THAT is how I spent the next 7 or 8 passes until I packed it up and drove home in a pouring *** rain, which the closer I got to home, the more it looked like a hurricane had come through … the joint is FUh-LUHDED!

Best pass of the night 7.9, best 60' 1.89, best Mph was 91.

OH! And I got ape-raped by a 2000-ish Formy, Ls3 who was having a spectacular night!

Took him the first pass, on an 8.1 But I noticed Dude ran awful, so I pulled over and we immediately set up another run.

He stripped and dipped me, pulling a 7.1, on a 1.6…at 99.mph.

Naturally… HE had brought HIS HOOSIERS! And his computer and HE had a BEAUTIFUL Tune on a car that was HAULING SOME SERIOUS ***.

Props to the Formy… It's gonna be a long week… 'cause he's got my lunch.

SO! We've hopefully hit rock bottom and there's only one way to go from here.

Video to come… it ain't perdy, but the record's the record and she can be a real bitch sometimes.

Last edited by OVA1; 09-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

And to think what would have happened if Lawhead would have showed up... He may have had a good night! Damn, shoulda, woulda, coulda!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Packy
And to think what would have happened if Lawhead would have showed up... He may have had a good night! Damn, shoulda, woulda, coulda!
LOL!

Oh yeah, Top… IF the Sprout had manned up, he would most likely be up $4500 and I'd be sleepin' in that Z.

She's SO close! … to be so FAR AWAY!

Vids are uploadin'…
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll ask because I'm not gonna read all through this thread. I take it that Lawhead backed-out of the race? Someone fill me in what happened if ya don't mind?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Technically I called the race, because we couldn't get Lawhead to commit to the scheduled Saturday race.

He ended up buying a new-2-u H/C/Headers 04 Cobra which was sportin' a Whipple blower… which he tried to sneak in, but another member outed the new car and LH wanted to take race day to setup a dyno-tune and back it off a week. I was not inclined to let him do so and just got sick of the BS and called it.

I was afraid if he went much farther, the kid would show up with a Rocket engine strapped to the roof.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

And I couldn't let that happen…

Last edited by OVA1; 09-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

First pass…

Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

The whole thread is an absolute clusterfuck.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by audacious nick
The whole thread is an absolute clusterfuck.
Such is inevitable with clusters. It's just their nature...
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are your shift points and rev limiter set at now? I know the last tune raised your shift points, so it definitely shouldnt be hitting the limiter before every shift.

Either way, with your newfound power it is ripping through the gears way too fast. You need to either up the RPM range AGAIN and use all 7200rpm the stock computer can give ya, spend the coin on an aftermarket system to get an 8k RPM limit, or - what I recommend - just throw some 4.10s in that rear end.

While your gears were awesome for a mild 350, you make a ton more TQ now and don't need them anymore...you will go faster with 4.10s at this point.

Originally Posted by Heater
At the flywheel or at the back tire?

At the back tire would be Very stout.
Flywheel - its an LT1 after all . 650 rwhp NA would take some big bucks...converted SB2.2s/Airwolfs(maybe a maxed out set of the new 235cc AFRs?), custom pistons for the crazy valve location, nasty single plane intake, 26x intake solid roller, aftermarket PCM for 8,000 rpms, titanium valvetrain, shaftmounts, etc.

It has been done before, but basically custom everything and not exactly the best way to spend ~$35,000 on a motor. Turbo setup of that price range would make 4 digits to the tire.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

What are your shift points and rev limiter set at now? I know the last tune raised your shift points, so it definitely shouldnt be hitting the limiter before every shift.

Either way, with your newfound power it is ripping through the gears way too fast. You need to either up the RPM range AGAIN and use all 7200rpm the stock computer can give ya, spend the coin on an aftermarket system to get an 8k RPM limit, or - what I recommend - just throw some 4.10s in that rear end.

While your gears were awesome for a mild 350, you make a ton more TQ now and don't need them anymore…you will go faster with 4.10s at this point.
Trying to get hold of Moe now to find out what he set us up on… I can't disagree with anything ya pointed out Puck.

We'll get it dialed in… should have the Tuner cat and log program next week and we can begin to make these adjustments in-house.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Second Pass (Same Mustang)

Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OVA1
LOL!

Oh yeah, Top… IF the Sprout had manned up, he would most likely be up $4500 and I'd be sleepin' in that Z.

She's SO close! … to be so FAR AWAY!

Vids are uploadin'…
Yeah that is what happens. You live and learn. On the other hand this could be a damn good bait job to pull some other suckers out of the pond. You always have to keep your options open and look at every aspect. Nice videos! I'm sure you will get her dialed in after a few more track visits.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

All bullshit aside I thought you had a set of slicks? Just curious why you arent testing on them. Car sounds good btw
Old 09-07-2013, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96ssindeed
All bullshit aside I thought you had a set of slicks? Just curious why you arent testing on them. Car sounds good btw
Its a reasonable question.

The slicks are 295s which is large for the well and they're not sitting well inside the well and I didn't have time this week to work it out.

Quick Reply: Official LS1 Tech: 9/7 "Lawhead -v- OVA1 Race" thread.