Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Camaro Z28 vs 2012 370z

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redbird555
Lol ya I knew I was goin to spin from the dig. No matter how I launch it. Even slipping it out in 1st I can't go WOT without it fish tailing. I'd like to get a set of drs but I'm kind scared since I live up I college and I drive home every so often 200 miles. So the drs and rain kinda freak me out lol
Zero excuse for you to be spinning on street tires. Seriously you guys, how the hell hard is it to research tires like you guys research every other damned mod?!? No one under 500rwhp should even consider running drag radials as street tires nowadays are as good as drag radials - and in alot of cases Max and Extreme Performance Summer tires outlaunch drag radials. Here, use this for a quick reference with a 1-10 scale:
$108ea. Cooper Zeon RS3-S (summer tread pattern)- dry: 8 / wet: 8.5
$105ea. Cooper Zeon RS3-A (all season tread pattern)- dry: 7.5 / wet: 10
Autoweek.com says: We repeated the same tests later in the day using Cooper's new Ultra High Performance tire, the Zeon RS3-S. We drove them on identically equipped BMW 3-series sedans and found the Coopers outperformed the Michelin Pilot Sport PS 2s by an average of two seconds per lap in the wet and 2.1 seconds in the dry. http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...news/110329907

$176ea. Dunlop Direzza ZII (summer only tire)- dry: 10 / wet 8.5
$183ea. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A (summer only tire)- dry: 9.5 / wet 10
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=172

Haven't tried the BFG Rival or Yokohama AD08 R so can't comment on there traction under straight line acceleration.
Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
370Z's trap 110 with cai and a tune?
We aren't going to see those speeds at an average track.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I run cheap *** all seasons and unless I decide to let the tires loose I'm good. Of course my **** isn't making a lot of power but I just can't imagine breaking the tires loose at any speed. Must be insane...
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Zero excuse for you to be spinning on street tires. Seriously you guys, how the hell hard is it to research tires like you guys research every other damned mod?!? No one under 500rwhp should even consider running drag radials as street tires nowadays are as good as drag radials - and in alot of cases Max and Extreme Performance Summer tires outlaunch drag radials. Here, use this for a quick reference with a 1-10 scale:
$108ea. Cooper Zeon RS3-S (summer tread pattern)- dry: 8 / wet: 8.5
$105ea. Cooper Zeon RS3-A (all season tread pattern)- dry: 7.5 / wet: 10
Autoweek.com says: We repeated the same tests later in the day using Cooper's new Ultra High Performance tire, the Zeon RS3-S. We drove them on identically equipped BMW 3-series sedans and found the Coopers outperformed the Michelin Pilot Sport PS 2s by an average of two seconds per lap in the wet and 2.1 seconds in the dry. http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...news/110329907

$176ea. Dunlop Direzza ZII (summer only tire)- dry: 10 / wet 8.5
$183ea. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A (summer only tire)- dry: 9.5 / wet 10
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=172

Haven't tried the BFG Rival or Yokohama AD08 R so can't comment on there traction under straight line acceleration.
I agree with what you stated but the important thing to remember about the compounds in a DR is that when you apply heat by spinning them, the compound gets stickey in comparison to a street tire. This is where the DR is superior to the street tires. If you heat both sets of tires up (a DR vs a Street tire) the DR would grab better on the street or strip.

Quick Reply: Camaro Z28 vs 2012 370z