Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Trans Am Vs. The Lancer

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so if you guys think a evo is that slow then you all must think a sti is really slow since the evo's are faster than the sti's i've seen a stock evo run 12.9 with a driver who had never been to the track before
Old 05-05-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

lol, true but thats asumming those ground effects wouldn't create to much wind resistance
Originally Posted by j_rock
well....If it fell off a cliff at 32 feet per second per second(gravity) I think a EVO would do a 1/4 mile in just under 9 seconds at around 190 mph....thats pretty quick.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

i think it depends on the evolution. ones a year or so old are like 13-14 second cars, similar to WRX, then you have the new evo RS, evo8, or 9, or 34.1 or wtf ever that are very quick from the factory, like high 12's very low 13's all day long, similar to STi's. i love how they scoot, but cant get over how they look, similar to STI's
Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 AM
STF Veteran

Actually I kind of like the STI's look.

last time i was at the track, i was talking to a pair of old school musclecar guys who had bought an evo and an sti because they "Wanted to see what this whole turbo 4 cylinder deal was about", or something similar to that. anyway, both had several mods and were running in the low 13s. So two guys who know how to drag race, and have non-stock cars, can't break 12s... but you guys know people who can do it in stock evos? um... k.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silly02SS
if he has a stock ta then there is no way he could beat a evo unless it was a terrible driver the evo's run high 12's stock
You really are silly arent you.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by King02SS
haha, holy ****... did you just say silly?

Haha, I forgot that was his name... still kinda funny, and almost, well,
Old 05-06-2004, 12:39 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by King02SS
i've been doing a bit of google research, and it looks like evos DO run high 12s stock... in much the same way that camaro SSs run high 12s stock as well. it's POSSIBLE, and it has been done, but the vast majority of stock evo times i have seen in the past half hour of research have been in the 13.3-13.8 range, between 101 and 103mph. that's solidly in stock ls1 territory, and easily beatable by modded ls1s...
Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
i've been doing a bit of google research, and it looks like evos DO run high 12s stock... in much the same way that camaro SSs run high 12s stock as well. it's POSSIBLE, and it has been done, but the vast majority of stock evo times i have seen in the past half hour of research have been in the 13.3-13.8 range, between 101 and 103mph. that's solidly in stock ls1 territory, and easily beatable by modded ls1s...
Yes sir... I believe it is all in the launch... which I hear is harder than it looks...
Old 05-06-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

on the subaru boards i saw a guy with a high 12s sti e.t.
everyone called b.s. until he posted the timeslip.
so it is possible, but has to be in perfect conditions.
I assume the same for an EVO.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:32 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 12stones
lol, true but thats asumming those ground effects wouldn't create to much wind resistance
Probably still run a 13.3 1/4 falling off a cliff.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by j_rock
well....If it fell off a cliff at 32 feet per second per second(gravity) I think a EVO would do a 1/4 mile in just under 9 seconds at around 190 mph....thats pretty quick.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing I feel many don't realize is that the EVO's had a factory option which gave them a better cam, and something else. It is like a 3 thousand dollar option. These were supposed to do about a 13 flat. I'm sure 12's with a better driver. The regular Evo ran mid to high 13's. The Evo is a pretty cool car. Basically a built racecar right from the dealer.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dal1as
One thing I feel many don't realize is that the EVO's had a factory option which gave them a better cam, and something else. It is like a 3 thousand dollar option. These were supposed to do about a 13 flat. I'm sure 12's with a better driver. The regular Evo ran mid to high 13's. The Evo is a pretty cool car. Basically a built racecar right from the dealer.
I would have more fun bashing ths **** out of the Lancer EVO but I will give it credit. It is fast stock.

That is it though. Because it is still an inline 4 with a little *** blower for its little *** 4 and looks like a grannies car. But hell, to each their own.

The F-Bodies have a hell of allot more potential and put a real blower (SC or Turbo, who gives a **** which) and it is faster than all these other stocker blowers...
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Can I be the first to call BS on this one? You didn't race an Evo. You raced a Lancer OZ Edition. My mother's Buick Regal will kick an OZ's ***.

But an Evo, with its little *** blower, and its little *** 4, would hand you your *** from a stop.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

edit: Just so you guys get an idea what a *** 4-banger can run in the quarter...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=554737

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=77734

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=549901

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=276938

Last edited by WestsideWRX; 05-07-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WestsideWRX

Can I be the first to call BS on this one? You didn't race an Evo. You raced a Lancer OZ Edition. My mother's Buick Regal will kick an OZ's ***.

But an Evo, with its little *** blower, and its little *** 4, would hand you your *** from a stop.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

edit: Just so you guys get an idea what a *** 4-banger can run in the quarter...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=554737

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=77734

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=549901

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=276938
Umm... this is not a good way to start off posting on this forum unless you are planning on getting flamed. So what, the EVO has the potential for some nasty jumps off the line. That advantage is shortly lost due to the weight and parasitic horsepower loss of the AWD system. You don't think that a stock LS1 can beat an EVO? I think you need to brush up on your LS1 knowledge...
Old 05-07-2004, 12:53 PM
STF Veteran

I believe the fastest ls1 in the country is currently is running an 8.5 @ 156 (and it's a heavy *** boat of a convertible too), what's the fastest evo do?

Evo is a cool car, and so is the STi, but you evo and wrx owners showing up here lately (with one or two exceptions) are making asses out of yourselves, telling us to brush up on our knowledge of your cars, when you don't even know what ours can do.

yeah 7k awd launch is great, but so is a 3k or 4k rwd drag radial launch.

edit: btw, just to prove that we're not ignorant of what a turbo can do
https://www.quartermileperformance.c...ormulation.asp
Old 05-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not "a WRX guy". I'm a "car guy" who just happens to drive a WRX at the moment. I have also owned a '69 Z-28 with the DZ-302 motor...a '71 Olds 442 with the high-compression 455...and, a '69 SS396 El Camino...among others. I'm also pretty familiar with the LS1. But, I still call bullshit on this post. A stock LS1 is not going to trash an EVO off the line. Period. Sure, you're gonna catch him up high...as there's no replacement for displacement. This guy didn't say he whipped a Lancer in the quarter mile, he said he showed him his tail lights from a dead stop...on street tires, not racing slicks. That's what I'm calling BS on.

I guess what stuck in my craw was the "***" comments. Can't we all just appreciate the good things about each others' cars without calling each other names? I am NOT a ricer. I have no fart can on my wagon...nor do I have even one tiny strip of vinyl. No neon. No wing. No spinning 20" wheel covers, or twin 18" woofers in the back seat. No NOS. No aftermarket, loud-*** BOV. No CAI. Hell, it looks pretty much like your Mom's station wagon. But, I put down 235 AWHP with less than $1500 in mods. Driving a Subaru doesn't make me anything other than a consumer...same as you.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

yes they hit out of the hole good but my car is stock besides lid and catback and i took one down last week at the track rather easily on street tires and stock converter. they are RICE thats all!
Old 05-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by meSSman02
yes they hit out of the hole good but my car is stock besides lid and catback and i took one down last week at the track rather easily on street tires and stock converter. they are RICE thats all!
If it's an import, it's rice, huh? Whatever...
Old 05-07-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by meSSman02
they are RICE thats all!
umm... rice is more of a state of mind, and a car that has been changed... I dont think any real stock car should be called rice straight from the factory.

I understand what you are saying westside... Not everybody can launch them all that well though, and I have heard that people sometimes get a lot of wheel hop and stuff trying to launch hard. Also, an LS1 can, with good driving have pretty comparable 60' times. Plus, the guy didnt give details, so we dont know how long the race was, so all we know was in the end he won, thats it.