Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Fire breathing, turbocharged C5 Corvette rolls out

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, it's getting pretty serious in here. lol

Ryan (RPM) and I went for a ride in a customer's car (black GTO 408, th-400GV, that's all he told me) from georgia a couple years ago on the I40. Car pulled pretty damn hard. Started around 65 and maybe seconds later we were at 140. I was pretty impressed with the car. He told me that it was an STS 76 setup that they had to redo/"tweak". I didn't believe until I looked up the bumper.

Being that it had gear vendor, I can't imagine it making more than 900, but that's still impressive.

Cool vette.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been driving around the car for the last two weeks. All i know is i never have to wait for the turbo to spool. its there when i want it. If there is lag i dont feel it anywhere. We sized the turbo for a fun street car expecting to make 700 max. Kit blew that out the water. Now we think it has closer to 900 on pump and meth. The car drives better and runs harder then i ever thought it would. Sounds like sex too! I dont care about thermodynamics. I believe this would spool faster then most front mounts due to the extra steps we put in that no one else does. Only a front mount as well thought out as ours will spool faster. I bet it wouldnt be by much.

I also wanted weight over the rear and no extra heat under my hood. If i had a f body id be front mount. But for a vette this is much more viable option.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZGLASS
I have been driving around the car for the last two weeks. All i know is i never have to wait for the turbo to spool. its there when i want it. If there is lag i dont feel it anywhere. We sized the turbo for a fun street car expecting to make 700 max. Kit blew that out the water. Now we think it has closer to 900 on pump and meth. The car drives better and runs harder then i ever thought it would. Sounds like sex too! I dont care about thermodynamics. I believe this would spool faster then most front mounts due to the extra steps we put in that no one else does. Only a front mount as well thought out as ours will spool faster. I bet it wouldnt be by much.

I also wanted weight over the rear and no extra heat under my hood. If i had a f body id be front mount. But for a vette this is much more viable option.
I wondered about the water, obviously you wouldnt drive it in the rain (guessing), I know my little 400+ slow-camaro is a B#$%^ in the rain so i couldn't imaging that thing in the rain.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stockz
I wondered about the water, obviously you wouldnt drive it in the rain (guessing), I know my little 400+ slow-camaro is a B#$%^ in the rain so i couldn't imaging that thing in the rain.
it drives fine in the rain. but i avoid it unless i get stuck in it. It drives stock out of boost beauty of a turbo car.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice Vette. It rolled pretty hard. The fox and you seemed like great run looking at videos. He was right with you till he would hit brakes.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by islander033
Not impressed with your spelling. Haha
Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by ajrothm
SO thermo dynamics wins races..... GOT IT....

01MagRedC5, Ricky's car does not meet the thermodynamic requirements for this thread.... So lets leave bottom bottom 9 sec stick cars with a 346" engines with stock heads/intakes/baby cams out of this.... His boost obviously comes in waaayyy too late for this thread.
Uh, yes. What do you think it is? Sparkles and rainbows, along with some guesswork?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Not impressed with your spelling. Haha
Stoopid fat fingers! lol
Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, your car makes 750+ rwhp/tq. But it only makes that for ~2,000 rpm. And you have to be above 4,000rpm.

No offense, but I'm not seeing anything that's "well-done". I'm seeing, "it's okay, but should have done a front mount".
Dude..on the street, all this what your car makes where or what isn't nearly as crucial as you think.

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You have no clue....
this...

Uh oh, are you going to leg-hump on a rear turbo mount, too?

Face it: rear mount turbos are for the people that don't want to put the effort into a mid or front mount turbo. And don't give me crap about space, I have seen people fit front mount turbos on a c5. And even if you want to be lazy, you could do something similar to UPP or APS, but single turbo.
And they're inferior, too. Tell me one good thing, other than "ease of setting up 40ft of pipes and ****". If he made that power, imagine what he could have done with a nicer setup.
There is no, "doing it right" with half-***. Only, "as best as one can half-*** it".
Even those who initially supported the hell out of rear mounts have moved on. Why? Because it is inferior. Why?
•extra weight of the 10,000 feet of pipes, oil lines, oil pump, etc.
•heat loss through 10,000 feet of hot side piping.
•worse spooling times, due to extra piping. This is where the, "OMG, mine is totally okay" BS starts. Switch your exact setup to a front mount, tell me how much better it is.

Originally Posted by Deukalions14
Out of curiosity, how many of you are making statements based on personal experience VS what you read, saw, or presume to be accurate information?

I have. I have installed front mounts, mid mounts, rear mounts, kits, customs, compound boost,..etc... THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A REAR MOUNTED TURBO.....the dynamic trade off is lower boost, in lower gears(lower gears will generate less load-).

A rear mount turbo has to sized properly,..piping sized properly, everything,..guess what, JUST LIKE A FRONT MOUNT. It's all about velocity. My top mount spools a HAIR quicker then lets say,..a rear mount kit but....again, ALL DUE TO PIPING SIZE AND AR housings.

Originally Posted by stockz
What happen to car people? In the old days people would see a kickin car like Zglass and want to check it out run it, give props to the owner and enjoy a killer car, Love the American flag btw.

Now, especially on a GM board, people want to throw others under a bus or come up with, your stuff aint as good as mine/whom ever's stuff.???? (We expect that from FORD guys, lol) but geeezz, the young not real car people show up here in force!!

Go ZGLASS, GO Fast, Go Real Car People.

Personally, I think the vette in question is sick. On the street people...the rear mount turbo setup, is and can be a top contender. For the dumbass's that do not think so....the Tejano Blue Corvette from LMR,..is a twin rear mount setup. Just an FYI. That's from a company that CAN do what they want on a build but, chose the rear setup. Why? Cause boost is boost.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. Nice ride mang.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That vette is awesome! Look's like its rolling out.

-Garrett
Old 11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

No one said a rear mount car can't be fast but it will always be inferior to a comparable front mount setup and that is a fact.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sw07gt
No one said a rear mount car can't be fast but it will always be inferior to a comparable front mount setup and that is a fact.

Ok...well, show me. Inferior on what level? On the street, there is NO SUCH THING. It's like saying a NA cam isn't good for boost but,..it ******* works...even though, everyone would like to tell you it wouldn't, the fact of the matter is, does. data is there to back it up. People like you, said my gear set wouldn't work....guess what...it worked so well, people try to copy it and that **** works,....

You guys can tell me this, or tell me that,...until you ******* do it, show me some DATA to back it up other then your opinion based assumptions cause you read it on the internet somewhere...ain't gonna cut it.

Again,..sizing,..on everything, is critical, on ALL setups.

I like front mounts,..I prefer them,..but to say you can't get a rear mount to perform,....or downplaying it,..cause it's in the back,...your in for a rude awakening one day. I'm not talking about a box stock STS kit dude...we're speaking about a custom made, rear/mid turbo setup, designed piece by piece.

Anyways, you guys can play peepee touch about whos opinion beats whos opinion.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Where's the damn "like" button on this thing?? Thanks V-series. Good reply.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Deukalions14
Where's the damn "like" button on this thing?? Thanks V-series. Good reply.
Just trying to bring order to the chaos brother. (normally, i like chaos).

Old 11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Did you read what I wrote? I said you can get rear mounts to perform. Paul major went 6.60s with a rear mount setup. I do like your analogy with the cams, it perfectly supports my argument. You can make good power with an NA cam in a turbo car, but a turbo cam will still be better. A rear mount setup will always be heavier and spool slower than a comparable front mount. What part of this can you not wrap your head around?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you read what I wrote? I said you can get rear mounts to perform. Paul major went 6.60s with a rear mount setup. I do like your analogy with the cams, it perfectly supports my argument. You can make good power with an NA cam in a turbo car, but a turbo cam will still be better. A rear mount setup will always be heavier and spool slower than a comparable front mount. What part of this can you not wrap your head around?

I don't need to wrap my head around it dude...your not reading, and don't get all butthurt cause your ***** is getting caught in a door....

PROPER SIZING IS KEY....as in,..tube diameter,..as in A/R housing...do you understand what I mean by that? If you want something to SPOOL quicker, you reduce the diameter...among other tricks. They're IS a method,..they're IS A SCIENCE.

I bet you whatever you want,...that we can make a REAR MOUNT TURBO setup spool as FAST AS A FRONT MOUNT without the use of nitrous. How about that?

You can try and sound as smart as you like with theories or opinions bro...the fact of the matter is,..your mostly incorrect.

My argument isn't directed towards you per say...it's directed to opinions on setups,..and how everyone is a ******* idiot that projects opinion/stories to why they think something is the ****...when in reality,...they have never built ANYTHING like it, they got they're idea from they're own thought process, they formed off the internet somewhere.

On another note: Street setups, are a different breed of animal. Especially for guys that are roll racing. You CAN get away with setups that, are, well, out of the norm. "Outside the box" so to speak. Cams that "don't work." Gears that "don't work". Turbos "too big, will never spool"... Turbos "too far back, rear mount"...etc. LOTS of this, go out the window with a properly GEARED setup,..and in the end,...falls into the TOTAL PACKAGE of a STREET car,...for THAT PERSONS setup.

Everyone is different, to each they're own,..who the **** are you, or anyone else,..to say otherwise? Again, I say to that the community....

..build your ****,...compete, and give props where they are do.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bet you money my setup is lighter then most front mount turbo setups.

Single hotside pipe stainless 3 in. Single charge pipe aluminum much lighter. Same amount of piping as pretty much any duel exhaust. But half the piping is far lighter. All other pieces are basically the same as any other kit turbo intercooler, wastegate, blow off valve. Only extra weight really is the pump. 80% of the added weight is over my rear axle anyway. Right were id want to add weight.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Yet it's like you all are still not grasping what I'm saying. If you take this corvette and move the turbo to the font you're going to drop some weight and increase spool time. This is what I meant when I said comparable front mount setup. The car runs good, I'm not trying to take anything away from it. I'm just simply comparing rear mount to front mount. You keep rocking on with your rear mount and I'll keep my front mount kit that spools a slightly bigger turbo faster with the same displacement and no divided housing or spool valve.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yet it's like you all are still not grasping what I'm saying. If you take this corvette and move the turbo to the font you're going to drop some weight and increase spool time. This is what I meant when I said comparable front mount setup. The car runs good, I'm not trying to take anything away from it. I'm just simply comparing rear mount to front mount. You keep rocking on with your rear mount and I'll keep my front mount kit that spools a slightly bigger turbo faster with the same displacement and no divided housing or spool valve.
where is the extra weight in my setup?

Quick Reply: Fire breathing, turbocharged C5 Corvette rolls out