Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Fire breathing, turbocharged C5 Corvette rolls out

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Yet it's like you all are still not grasping what I'm saying. If you take this corvette and move the turbo to the font you're going to drop some weight and increase spool time. This is what I meant when I said comparable front mount setup. The car runs good, I'm not trying to take anything away from it. I'm just simply comparing rear mount to front mount. You keep rocking on with your rear mount and I'll keep my front mount kit that spools a slightly bigger turbo faster with the same displacement and no divided housing or spool valve.

All based off your assumption. If I am removing a turbo from the same vehicle, from the back of the vehicle forward,...I still have to build a "kit" right"? Well, when we build a kit,....we build it accordingly. Thats what you do. You take setup A,...and match it up with the car, the expected use, etc. As in,..you build correct size piping,...you build the project. Nobody is talking about a kit here. Nobody is saying that a turbo in the rear, wouldn't inherently have a longer spool time...... all I and others are trying to say is if you build the setup right, turbos DO NOT GIVE A **** WHERE YOU PUT THEM.

That's it man. I think your generalizing too much...that might work out well on a GTR board with a bunch of computer controlled geeks but,..LS1tech has some SMART ******* that built **** over and over again paving the road for all of us. Erase "kit" from your mind holmes.

PS...just finished a joint project on a newer vehicle..turns out, it is indeed a rear mount setup. Spools up QUICK....and as Zglass stated....your eliminating a steel pipe, and using an aluminum one. Steel, very heavy, aluminum, ahh,..not so much these days.

If we weigh that car,...show you how much, or in this case, how little it actually added to the car,...vs the H pipe being removed, vs the two rear giant mufflers being removed....with the 4 cats being removed.... how much weight do you really think that we added? I want you to really think about it,.....if your up to it.

Then,...like Zglass stated...think of where the weight,..IFFFFFFFFFFFFF ANY,...was added.

Outside the box friend.

I'd apologize for being so harsh but, not in my nature.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
All based off your assumption. If I am removing a turbo from the same vehicle, from the back of the vehicle forward,...I still have to build a "kit" right"? Well, when we build a kit,....we build it accordingly. Thats what you do. You take setup A,...and match it up with the car, the expected use, etc. As in,..you build correct size piping,...you build the project. Nobody is talking about a kit here. Nobody is saying that a turbo in the rear, wouldn't inherently have a longer spool time...... all I and others are trying to say is if you build the setup right, turbos DO NOT GIVE A **** WHERE YOU PUT THEM.

That's it man. I think your generalizing too much...that might work out well on a GTR board with a bunch of computer controlled geeks but,..LS1tech has some SMART ******* that built **** over and over again paving the road for all of us. Erase "kit" from your mind holmes.

PS...just finished a joint project on a newer vehicle..turns out, it is indeed a rear mount setup. Spools up QUICK....and as Zglass stated....your eliminating a steel pipe, and using an aluminum one. Steel, very heavy, aluminum, ahh,..not so much these days.

If we weigh that car,...show you how much, or in this case, how little it actually added to the car,...vs the H pipe being removed, vs the two rear giant mufflers being removed....with the 4 cats being removed.... how much weight do you really think that we added? I want you to really think about it,.....if your up to it.

Then,...like Zglass stated...think of where the weight,..IFFFFFFFFFFFFF ANY,...was added.

Outside the box friend.

I'd apologize for being so harsh but, not in my nature.
The weight of the turbo and intercooler is about all that's added. I think the weight of the oil lines and pump is negated buy the aluminum piping.

I will be weighing the car at a scale we use all the time. Bet im around 3100 still.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

A rear mount kit is heavier than a front mount kit, unless the front mount has a full exhaust. Obviously depending on materials the weight added may not be much. As far as the rest of argument I feel like you're agreeing with me, while claiming to disagree with me.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ajrothm
SO thermo dynamics wins races..... GOT IT....

01MagRedC5, Ricky's car does not meet the thermodynamic requirements for this thread.... So lets leave bottom bottom 9 sec stick cars with a 346" engines with stock heads/intakes/baby cams out of this.... His boost obviously comes in waaayyy too late for this thread.
LOL

BTW Aj, I never changed my name on here but...I am Y2KRoadster over on CF.

Nick...you are entertaining! Please keep posting.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

A rear mount kit is heavier than a front mount kit, unless the front mount has a full exhaust. Obviously depending on materials the weight added may not be much. As far as the rest of argument I feel like you're agreeing with me, while claiming to disagree with me.
well since most street cars run a full exhaust your not really making any point. I don't see the normal street car dumping the exhaust out the fender or bumper.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear mounts SUCK!!! Just ask Vette doctors, Hinson motorsports, LMR, Cartek, vengeance racing etc....
Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i like the air horn. deleted his because racecar
Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stockz
What happen to car people? In the old days people would see a kickin car like Zglass and want to check it out run it, give props to the owner and enjoy a killer car, Love the American flag btw.

Now, especially on a GM board, people want to throw others under a bus or come up with, your stuff aint as good as mine/whom ever's stuff.???? (We expect that from FORD guys, lol) but geeezz, the young not real car people show up here in force!!

Go ZGLASS, GO Fast, Go Real Car People.
bunch of doubters & haters in here. however ask them for a video or proof of their amazing record shattering car and things begin to get real quiet! morons that do not even know what they are talking about is all they have proven themselves to be!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think your smoking on some good ****,........wanna share with the rest of us?

Your again, basing your opinion off laws of assumption...

Your being hard headed and not being open minded to the fact that turbos will work in near all conditions...

And your not giving the builders of today,...enough credit. There is so much technology and data available to all of us today, it's a shame more people either 1)don't have skill/vision or 2) don't have the facility to pull it off in(a build).

In the end, bad information, is bad information. Spreading like a cancer one laptop to another. The moral of the story is, a properly designed mid/rear mount turbo/twin turbo setup will work wonderfully, and spool on cue on paper(graph) or more importantly at the track or in this case, the street.

I leave you with this-

(my car for years had the EXACT SAME GEAR SET IN IT THAT THIS CAR HAS...without ever hearing of eachother).

different car, probably faster

Just to keep your mind in check.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pesky rear mount turbo 5000 pound sleds.....

(This guy was the owner of my cobra before I got it)
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Didn't spool quick enough, in my opinion.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Nobody is saying that a turbo in the rear, wouldn't inherently have a longer spool time......
This is what I have said repeatedly, yet you continue to disagree.

Let me help you out with your rear mount videos.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/turbos-...jors-corvette/
Old 11-28-2013, 12:12 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

http://carlyleracing.com/

>rear mount. Lol
Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol.

Dude...I give up.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZGLASS
The weight of the turbo and intercooler is about all that's added. I think the weight of the oil lines and pump is negated buy the aluminum piping.

I will be weighing the car at a scale we use all the time. Bet im around 3100 still.

Funny,..I was at 3128lbs with a 25lb firebottle sitting in the car, my book bag(i keep my sippie cups in there)and some random other ****. Thats on a twin turbo, front/top mount car(FRC as well).
Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Funny,..I was at 3128lbs with a 25lb firebottle sitting in the car, my book bag(i keep my sippie cups in there)and some random other ****. Thats on a twin turbo, front/top mount car(FRC as well).
ill have to go weight it some time then see where its at.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZGLASS
ill have to go weight it some time then see where its at.
If your's is an 01/04 Z06 then you could possibly be a hair lower, since your front glass should be a little lighter. I had HUD,..you may or may not. 295 front tires/335 rears.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

2002 c5z06
Old 11-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Teching In

well, its my car. I was on pump gas, 9psi, 611rwhp that night. no excuses...
and that was one of my good friends on a Houston stock zx10
Old 11-29-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by almost
well, its my car. I was on pump gas, 9psi, 611rwhp that night. no excuses...
and that was one of my good friends on a Houston stock zx10
cool car mang! Got any build threads or pics of the kit i could peep?

Quick Reply: Fire breathing, turbocharged C5 Corvette rolls out