Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 Camaro SS vs 2011 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My converter was my biggest performance changing mod to date. It felt like a whole new animal.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
So your saying that 3:73 gears with a 3600 stall would do nothing for the car? I highly disagree with you just from my personal experience alone. With my set up and most my power starting around 3500 rpm's my gears and stall (3600 btw) it fell's very different! Hell when I just had headers, lid, full exhaust done my trans blew and then I had it rebuilt with a 3600 stall put in and even the guy who runs the Sun shine drag strip down in Tampa Fl even said it would run a lot better and it did. Also you saying "Again wrong" regarding to my other statement what part of that is wrong do explain. Because the 60E trans is a garbage trans so thats not wrong, If your reffering to me saying a 4000 stall and 4:10 gears is a good match up then I can see that being wrong because IDK on that but i could see how that would be a better match up than a 3600 stall with 4:10 gears and depending on what kinda stall he puts in should depend where he wants his power band to start. Thats why after I put a 3600 stall in mine I made sure to have good power around 3500 to 3600 rpm's. So just saying wrong is pointless do explain as to why you think im wrong.

373s on a car with 323s and a converter is a waste of time. Car will pick up nothing. The converter works well not question. Gears are not needed. 410s with an A4 and a stock cam with stock tires is way over kill. Car will go into OD before the traps.

Im 24 man i just dont like how someone says im wrong and thats it if im wrong on something then say why so I know not to give bad info to the next guy, figured that was common sense on here guess not. Ive had plenty of people tell me to use 3:73 gears with my 3600 stall so I bought them. Also I had a couple of tuners tell me that as well, that way it can be more street friendly. like I said I bought the stall first so I built the car *** backwards. truth be told I should of built the car like this (IMO that is) suspension, rear end, transmission, then motor/engine (what ever you prefer). Like I said if im wrong then explain why im wrong considering you have to be so politically correct on here give me facts as to why im wrong

373s are not needed. Even on a cammed car. Car will pick up nothing on a car with 323s. I have done it on numerous cars since 1998. How many times have you done it? Saying the stock A4 is garbage is another wrong statement. You need to run aftermarket cooler when you run a converter which you never mentioned having or telling OP to get it. Have gotten cars to run 10s with the stock A4 with just a cooler. Don't abuse it or manually shift it and change fluid all the time. It will live. It doiesn't like high rpms either.

So again how am I wrong do explain please

Refer to above. As usual you are spouting stuff off you have no experience with. OP car needs a rebuild on tranny and something is way off just in stock form so that should be corrected before anymore mods are done. I would suggest for reliability in stock from to run a cooler,truck pan and a transgo shift kit. With those mods on a stock tranny it should run 10s at stock weight and stock shift points for a long time. Also with a converter you need a good tuner. Just doing the shiftpoints on one is a headache. OP may not want to do it or spend the money. I do agree a converter is the best mod for his car everything is done. 373s are a waste, 410s on a stock height tire car is overgeared big time plus it makes the ten bolt weaker.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty simple, That V6 stang prob is mid-low 13's and OP is not. How many miles you got on the car OP? Oh and the stang you raced is no where near the whp you stated.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
373s on a car with 323s and a converter is a waste of time. Car will pick up nothing. The converter works well not question. Gears are not needed. 410s with an A4 and a stock cam with stock tires is way over kill. Car will go into OD before the traps.

373s are not needed. Even on a cammed car. Car will pick up nothing on a car with 323s. I have done it on numerous cars since 1998. How many times have you done it? Saying the stock A4 is garbage is another wrong statement. You need to run aftermarket cooler when you run a converter which you never mentioned having or telling OP to get it. Have gotten cars to run 10s with the stock A4 with just a cooler. Don't abuse it or manually shift it and change fluid all the time. It will live. It doiesn't like high rpms either.

Refer to above. As usual you are spouting stuff off you have no experience with. OP car needs a rebuild on tranny and something is way off just in stock form so that should be corrected before anymore mods are done. I would suggest for reliability in stock from to run a cooler,truck pan and a transgo shift kit. With those mods on a stock tranny it should run 10s at stock weight and stock shift points for a long time. Also with a converter you need a good tuner. Just doing the shiftpoints on one is a headache. OP may not want to do it or spend the money. I do agree a converter is the best mod for his car everything is done. 373s are a waste, 410s on a stock height tire car is overgeared big time plus it makes the ten bolt weaker.
All true. There was a local guy back in the day with a black T/A. Auto 2:73 car, with I'm wanting to say a vigilante stall, don't remember specifics, but it ran well with the stall and 2.73's, he swapped to a 3.42 or 3.73 and it slowed down. Evidently he had the power to pull the gear, so giving the car more leverage was of no benefit.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

So your saying that 3:73 gears with a 3600 stall would do nothing for the car? I highly disagree with you just from my personal experience alone. With my set up and most my power starting around 3500 rpm's my gears and stall (3600 btw) it fell's very different! Hell when I just had headers, lid, full exhaust done my trans blew and then I had it rebuilt with a 3600 stall put in and even the guy who runs the Sun shine drag strip down in Tampa Fl even said it would run a lot better and it did. Also you saying "Again wrong" regarding to my other statement what part of that is wrong do explain. Because the 60E trans is a garbage trans so thats not wrong, If your reffering to me saying a 4000 stall and 4:10 gears is a good match up then I can see that being wrong because IDK on that but i could see how that would be a better match up than a 3600 stall with 4:10 gears and depending on what kinda stall he puts in should depend where he wants his power band to start. Thats why after I put a 3600 stall in mine I made sure to have good power around 3500 to 3600 rpm's. So just saying wrong is pointless do explain as to why you think im wrong.
Not to completely change the subject, what on Gods green earth has "the guy who runs Sun shine drag strip" got to do with the price of eggs in China? If that guy had a damned clue what he was doing, the track would be run professionally rather than the garbage way it is, with traffic all over the place and bikes racing cars(and trucks) and nasty dirt covered crap racing, or others running their A/C at the starting line... and that's all just stuff I saw during the only visit I ever intend to have there! It was a totally overpriced JOKE of an 1/8 mile track! Even the idiots, and I think they're truly idiots, running the main gate are clueless. I asked how much it costs to race and if it included the entry price, which I think was $10. and they said that covered me. I decided to sign up for fun in my new ride and they demanded another $10.00 ... For a 3 trip run down the 1/8th mile on a dirty track with minimal lighting... Shame on 'em.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM

124k on the motor and tranny.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 3800 stall, cooler, built trans, and 3.23s. I wanna go 3.90s just to get a little more seat of the pants feel. Lol
Old 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Banned

Im 24 man i just dont like how someone says im wrong and thats it if im wrong on something then say why so I know not to give bad info to the next guy, figured that was common sense on here guess not. Ive had plenty of people tell me to use 3:73 gears with my 3600 stall so I bought them. Also I had a couple of tuners tell me that as well, that way it can be more street friendly. like I said I bought the stall first so I built the car *** backwards. truth be told I should of built the car like this (IMO that is) suspension, rear end, transmission, then motor/engine (what ever you prefer). Like I said if im wrong then explain why im wrong considering you have to be so politically correct on here give me facts as to why im wrong

So again how am I wrong do explain please
I see your point but then again its just your opinion i could as easily say your wrong as well. Hell my trans blew before i even put a stall in it. Also mind you i only had lt, lid and tune. Also many people in this site have even talked about how horrible the 60e trans are so now your saying they are wrong to?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Not to completely change the subject, what on Gods green earth has "the guy who runs Sun shine drag strip" got to do with the price of eggs in China? If that guy had a damned clue what he was doing, the track would be run professionally rather than the garbage way it is, with traffic all over the place and bikes racing cars(and trucks) and nasty dirt covered crap racing, or others running their A/C at the starting line... and that's all just stuff I saw during the only visit I ever intend to have there! It was a totally overpriced JOKE of an 1/8 mile track! Even the idiots, and I think they're truly idiots, running the main gate are clueless. I asked how much it costs to race and if it included the entry price, which I think was $10. and they said that covered me. I decided to sign up for fun in my new ride and they demanded another $10.00 ... For a 3 trip run down the 1/8th mile on a dirty track with minimal lighting... Shame on 'em.
Your right the gut who builds most of the drag cars their, after they break down they go to his shop usually, is wrong right? So do tell me how many drag cars have you built? Also his shop wouldn't be in business if he did bad builds thats common sense so think about it before you open your mouth....
Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

You must have the 4L60 mixed up with the 80E. To say a stock 60E should hold up in a 10-second car "for a long time" is just plain false. Even when built they are known to fail in high horsepower cars. They are nothing more than a 700R4 with electronic shift control, and while not terrible, the 700R4 wasn't exactly great either. I went through three built 60E's in my last car (408/T-trim) before I finally said **** it and bought a 80E. That trans lasted a year and a half with no issues.

Depending on what you go with, gears can be necessary. You wouldn't want to run something like a Vindicator or TReX with the stock 3.23's. :/ On a close to stock car tho I agree the gears do little in terms of performance.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Your right the gut who builds most of the drag cars their, after they break down they go to his shop usually, is wrong right?
That's the most likely scenario, I'm sure. After all, any tuner worth his (or her) salt today wouldn't begin to use that as a test bed.

So do tell me how many drag cars have you built? Also his shop wouldn't be in business if he did bad builds thats common sense so think about it before you open your mouth....
I cannot remember how many cars/engines I've built, but I used to do it for a living, so... more than 1 or 2.

As for not being in business if bad builds were done, you're PROVING just how ridiculously clueless you really are with each post. ASK AROUND, boy... You'll hear, if you listen and can comprehend, good and bad stories about EVERY performance shop in America, including every single shop still in business. Many shops not still in business were very good at what they did, also, but went out of business for any of various reasons. I've known builders who had such depth, they could've stayed in business till they died, but got drug and/or drinking habits that ruined their reputations, thus their business.

If the guy who runs/owns the Sun Shine track runs his race car building company as he does the track, he's got trouble ahead. Be it known, that track will simply NEVER be a major racing attraction, period.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Your right the gut who builds most of the drag cars their, after they break down they go to his shop usually, is wrong right?
That's the most likely scenario, I'm sure. After all, any tuner worth his (or her) salt today wouldn't begin to use that as a test bed.

I cannot remember how many cars/engines I've built, but I used to do it for a living, so... more than 1 or 2.

As for not being in business if bad builds were done, you're PROVING just how ridiculously clueless you really are with each post. ASK AROUND, boy... You'll hear, if you listen and can comprehend, good and bad stories about EVERY performance shop in America, including every single shop still in business. Many shops not still in business were very good at what they did, also, but went out of business for any of various reasons. I've known builders who had such depth, they could've stayed in business till they died, but got drug and/or drinking habits that ruined their reputations, thus their business.

If the guy who runs/owns the Sun Shine track runs his race car building company as he does the track, he's got trouble ahead. Be it known, that track will simply NEVER be a major racing attraction, period.
Just fyi he also runs the Bradenton track as well they shut the sunshine track down because it is old an out dated but they opened it back up because its one of the oldest in the state. I fully understand a business can go out of business for a number of reasons but as far as him CONSTANTLY getting business and nothing but GOOD results id say he knows what he is talking about. Again tho still no proof from you or the other guy at the end of the day what worked for you may not work for someone else.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Do you do body work as well? Irunelevens that is
Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

your name backwards is "cam".
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer

and.......(point ?)

LOL
Old 12-16-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

2011 Mustang V6 before and after mods dyno:

Not bad at all.

Here's another dyno vid before and after some mods and tune, on an auto car:

My friend has a 2012 that he wants to race me with.

Last edited by sepsis; 12-16-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Mac my experience comes from racing them and nodding them for years. Put 323 gears in your car and see what happens. 373,410s are a waste on 346 car with a converter. Stop recommending mods to.someone that is a waste of money. Way more mods he can do for less money than gears which will no improvement on op car.
The 60 can be reliable if not abused around 400 at the wheels. Since 1992 I have broken two a4s. Last one was my fault.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8

and.......(point ?)

LOL

it's in capitals too. so it's big cam.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

More gear with a converter will help drivability, but there wont be any gains at the track
Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big hammer
Lol ok.......

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS vs 2011 Mustang