Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 5.0 vs Cam only C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
He be skeered......He's used to a violent 1st and 2nd gear then lay down in 3rd. With a ls in his car would not lay down in 3rd to give him time to recover...
Do you just say this because f-bodies can't launch hard without breaking ****? Just wondering.Looks like you remedied the problem with a Ford design, good on you You always whined and cried to Stopsign about launching at too high of an RPM Ahhh those were the days when he had you tripping on your every word. Talk about running circles around your head
Originally Posted by ls1ss_2000
So that's the reason why eh?

I just wondered why some of these Ford enthusiasts are so against the idea of swapping a LSX into their Ford when they're obviously part of the LSX community??!! Don't get that
Mostly the SRK, kiddo, and the racer's lounge sometimes. Don't get confused by that. I get tech advice for the coupe on hardcore50, foureyedpride for most other things, and corral for the huge archive of info that's there.

SVTp is a little too...out there...for me. Don't confuse the good races on here, and conversations, with any sort of grandeur view of the LS motors that a lot of guys on here seem to possess.

If I wanted more cubes, I could swap a 351 Windsor in and have a ton of options. Or get real fancy and swap in a newer 5.0. I'm not one of these to mix and match across brands. Not my thang. If I owned an LS anything, it would live in a Trans Am. Add "owning a Camaro" to the ball-stapling list.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

It's 2014 if you're having a discussion about whether or not your modded v8 can go faster than 12.80s you've made a poor decision.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sw07gt
It's 2014 if you're having a discussion about whether or not your modded v8 can go faster than 12.80s you've made a poor decision.
Oh it's just a little cruiser. I don't expect to set the world on fire. You see, some of us like the styling of certain vehicles and have other priorities in line before making it run 8's or whatever number you're shooting for. The pushrod 302 is what came out in the 86, so that's what is in it now. I wanted a boost in power so I did heads and a cam. Technology has moved things forward and I understand it won't be "fast". Also, I expect it to go faster than 12.80, but maybe your reading comprehension didn't catch that from posts above.

You're the guy who says 10s are slow. You're "that guy" that gets on peoples' nerves because nothing is fast until it is single digits. We all know the kind...if you want to play your game, go over to yellowbullet and let those guys tell you how your car will look slower than a Yugo compared to the rides over there.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

God forbid I'm not impressed by things that are common place.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
I am saying if I spin my *** off, it will probably be a pitiful 2.2 of so 60 foot. At that point, what am I even beating the **** out of it for? To run a time that reflects 0% of the car's potential? I'm not going to say my expectations for the car, because here in internetland, if I do that and don't hit it, I'll have people like you regurgitating internet times and telling me how my car didn't run well. Then you'll be trying to link me to a good holesaw, I don't want all that mess.
I set the goal low for you. We have made free mod ls cars go 12.9.

I would NEVER recommend sticking with stock LS1 heads when 243/799 heads can be had for such a cheap price nowadays. Not only will ported 243/799 make more peak power, they'll also outshine CNC'd 241's everywhere under the curve. Besides that, if you wanted to go bigger cubes at some point the 243's will work fine in a 4xx-inch application whereas LS1 heads won't. Its the obvious choice really.
I agree.
So that's the reason why eh?

I just wondered why some of these Ford enthusiasts are so against the idea of swapping a LSX into their Ford when they're obviously part of the LSX community??!! Don't get that
The furd love us. They're here trying to get our approval.......they have daddy issues.
Do you just say this because f-bodies can't launch hard without breaking ****? Just wondering.Looks like you remedied the problem with a Ford design, good on you You always whined and cried to Stopsign about launching at too high of an RPM Ahhh those were the days when he had you tripping on your every word. Talk about running circles around your head

If I wanted more cubes, I could swap a 351 Windsor in and have a ton of options. Or get real fancy and swap in a newer 5.0. I'm not one of these to mix and match across brands. Not my thang. If I owned an LS anything, it would live in a Trans Am. Add "owning a Camaro" to the ball-stapling list.
Mine luanched hard enough to go 11.0.......notch's went 11.9 on completely stock suspension with the same 60' your trying to get to(1.75). They do fine if treated right. Atleast we don't have to worry about the tq boxes coming out.

Stoppy and I had issues on that because he wanted to compare his slick tired car launch to a regular street tire car launch. Not really comparable unless you're a furd guy. I tripped not once.......but I did show him his calculated and corrected car would not run a 11 like he thought. All at the same time helping notch runs 11's.......even w/o headers......or a slick.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
Truth is, 241 heads will hold you back at some point. For the money, 243 head is by far the better choice.
True... its also more money than the 241s (since mine came with them)... considering my cam choice... it's not going to hold me back unless I try to max the setup itself out completely. If I ended up with 399rwhp instead of 407rwhp I'm would not be upset (Obviously mileage will vary and I am not under the impression I will make 399rwhp, nor am I claiming that I make that now).

Sure they will......but so will any head at some point. They work fine and are cheap or already on the car. May as well utilize them if money is short. It's been proven over and over they can go deep in the 11's bolt-on and 10's cam only. I would say they are a long way from junk.

If someone was building from scratch even on a budget 243's are a pretty cheap upgrade though.
This. Cheapest set of 243s you can find is still a chunk of money not counting the money/time it would take to pull my 241s and replace them. If I was into throwing money at this thing it wouldn't have the mods it does (or lack thereof).

Oh it's just a little cruiser. I don't expect to set the world on fire. You see, some of us like the styling of certain vehicles and have other priorities in line before making it run 8's or whatever number you're shooting for. The pushrod 302 is what came out in the 86, so that's what is in it now. I wanted a boost in power so I did heads and a cam. Technology has moved things forward and I understand it won't be "fast". Also, I expect it to go faster than 12.80, but maybe your reading comprehension didn't catch that from posts above.
I'm in the same boat... I will be happy with some low 12s.. maybe slap some DRs on and try for a halo 11.99 but I'm not even sure I care that much. I'm happy with 25mpg averages and a reliable car that I drive nearly 20K a year.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodged it once again

Discrediting someone when they've never claimed anything of the sort, typical Doug fashion....
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Dodged it once again

Discrediting someone when they've never claimed anything of the sort, typical Doug fashion....
Don't he have the car tag and insured?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all. The proof is I can go buy a k member to fit a ls into Mustang........but not the other way around.......hhhmmmmm Does that tell you anything.

Some people don't understand buying a car that you LIKE, and simply making it better. If you don't go for uber-fast, apparently you're doing it wrong.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Dodged it once again Discrediting someone when they've never claimed anything of the sort, typical Doug fashion....
Exactly.

HiO you are the one who brought up 12.8, my point was that you wouldn't give credit even if I ran 11.8. I don't care what you did with a motor with 44 more cubes and more compression, better stock heads, etc. knowing your modding skills, it had a deep love affair with the ol' holesaw.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Some people don't understand buying a car that you LIKE, and simply making it better. If you don't go for uber-fast, apparently you're doing it wrong.
Thank you. Improving something you like doesn't have to mean running 10's.

Oh wait, HiO doesn't do that either.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Lmfao ima love to hear this

Yes it has a tag I'm not sure if it's insured

Does that make it a street car now?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly.

HiO you are the one who brought up 12.8, my point was that you wouldn't give credit even if I ran 11.8. I don't care what you did with a motor with 44 more cubes and more compression, better stock heads, etc. knowing your modding skills, it had a deep love affair with the ol' holesaw.
Sure I'll give you credit.
Thank you. Improving something you like doesn't have to mean running 10's.

Oh wait, HiO doesn't do that either.
I agree.......if you really feel that way then you should stop ragging on me about my holesaw..........I improved it.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Dodged once again

So now since his car has tag / and I'm sure insurance it's a street car now

But you discredit anyone who doesn't run radials with your Non street legal Bogarts, No air bags car, that has holes in the k member ,which in every where but your little fantasy land weakens the K member

You'd be great politician as much as you flip flop
Old 01-17-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the first things I will do when I pick up another Fbody will be to buy a 9"... then ditch the 4l60 for a 4l80
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

And wtf is a "Chevy hood"
Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Banned

The Camaro SS hood that came on the Camaro SS which the Camaro SS is made by Chevrolet aka Chevy....... :p
Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
The Camaro SS hood that came on the Camaro SS which the Camaro SS is made by Chevrolet aka Chevy....... :p
So how is Heaters cowl hood a "Chevy hood" ?

Last edited by Lawhead; 01-17-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Man the Chevy hood thing is BEYOND reaching...
Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Dodged once again

So now since his car has tag / and I'm sure insurance it's a street car now

But you discredit anyone who doesn't run radials with your Non street legal Bogarts, No air bags car, that has holes in the k member ,which in every where but your little fantasy land weakens the K member

You'd be great politician as much as you flip flop
I didn't dodge ****. You make a mountain out of a mole hill. When I try to go by you guy's rules on street cars with no wipers and slick tires you go by what I consider a street. You put more spin on things than a top.

My bogarts are fine. The probably just didn't want to go threw the red tape to make them dot. You harp on them enough yet run a slick.........hhhhmmm

I coulda put a tubular k in it........but then you would whine about that. Besides mine is stronger than the tubular k's, which are known for cracking......another reason why I did my own. I trust my own work and I have the experience to back it up.
A cowl hood.

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0 vs Cam only C5Z