Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

***TX2K14 Video Thread***

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Driver skill isn't an issue when it comes to roll racing. I can drive better than most with a manual at the drag strip, but these same guys that I put bus-lengths on at the track will ride door to door with me in equal power cars. We are only using 3rd-5th in the faster cars, and launching skill doesn't factor in. TRACTION, horsepower, and gearing matter most. Those of us that have been doing this know what it takes to make the big hp cars stick at 60 mph with as much power down as possible. Throwing more hp at the traction problem never works better. It is about managing hp vs speed. Boost controllers, staged/progressive nitrous, traction control, many methods.

The problem is, that was nitrous and that won't often do well from a roll against a turbo car. Well, in my experience it wouldn't. For that kind of racing, turbo would be my route for sure.
Turbos are definitely king, but nitrous cars run just fine when set up properly. If you go back and watch the night video I posted, that yellow Viper is TT and makes the same power as my N2O + blower car. My car only makes 900-950 on blower, the 200 shot put it into another league. N2O hits much harder, more area under the curve. I pulled away pretty well. But, I'll eventually go TT + N2O to reach 1300-1400.

However saying you can't go over there and compete without 800+ is just absurd.
800 would only be competitive against the slower cars from Houston, but good for all the temporary visitors. Not being mean, just straightforward. My car at 1200 rwhp can't even hang with the faster cars here. Except at the drag strip. I wouldn't even bother coming to TX2K to "race" if I had less than 800 whp.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going to race in the 10.5 index, but you ever roll race a 4800 pound brick? ? Aerodynamics are not your friend. I like having a 799 hp truck that I can throw 8 2x6's 40 pounds of hardware, and tools in and tow 1500 lb of sheetrock the day after I go to the track.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Driver skill isn't an issue when it comes to roll racing. I can drive better than most with a manual at the drag strip, but these same guys that I put bus-lengths on at the track will ride door to door with me in equal power cars. We are only using 3rd-5th in the faster cars, and launching skill doesn't factor in. TRACTION, horsepower, and gearing matter most. Those of us that have been doing this know what it takes to make the big hp cars stick at 60 mph with as much power down as possible. Throwing more hp at the traction problem never works better. It is about managing hp vs speed. Boost controllers, staged/progressive nitrous, traction control, many methods.

Turbos are definitely king, but nitrous cars run just fine when set up properly. If you go back and watch the night video I posted, that yellow Viper is TT and makes the same power as my N2O + blower car. My car only makes 900-950 on blower, the 200 shot put it into another league. N2O hits much harder, more area under the curve. I pulled away pretty well. But, I'll eventually go TT + N2O to reach 1300-1400.

800 would only be competitive against the slower cars from Houston, but good for all the temporary visitors. Not being mean, just straightforward. My car at 1200 rwhp can't even hang with the faster cars here. Except at the drag strip. I wouldn't even bother coming to TX2K to "race" if I had less than 800 whp.
No offense but you sound like you are full of yourself and Houston.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
Surprised theres not very much footage of my black Firehawk, outran fr8train from a dig, dead even in the 1/8 with the LSX ******* on the street from a dig when I was still dialing in the progressive. Spent one night out roll racing, went to the second rd at the dig night. Overall had a great time but had a lot of trouble getting races after the first 2 nights, everyone was scared to do some friendly racing it seemed *shrug*
I saw your car rolling through the Marriot a few times. Sounded great, can't wait to get my Hawk back on the road when spring decides to arrive in Ohio.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Dam that was an epic vid by TRC.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

That's what I've been saying. It's about gearing, traction and... POWER!

I should've been more clear. I was talking about ONLY using juice as the power adder, against supercharged or even more inconveniently, turbocharged cars. Nitrous ASSISTED F.I. is outstanding... and hard to beat. Nitrous alone, however, is best from a dig.

Originally Posted by automach1
No offense but you sound like you are full of yourself and Houston.
I disagree. He's simply telling it how he sees it and from having been there myself(not the TX2k, but other racing in TX), he's right. As I said before, 800 is a STARTING POINT to be competitive with the big dogs and to really run with those at the top, you'll need more like double. These cars may play the radio, but they're no joke. They are specifically built for HIGH SPEED RACING and I'm serious when I tell you, breaking 160mph is common and it only takes seconds.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

^ Still don't need 800+ to compete with random cars at Tk2k.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, this is a great, reliable setup that will crack much ***.... and much cheaper then a $20-30k TT kit... And no waiting for the spray to come in.....And you can always put a progressive on it to ramp it in if you need to.

I've been kicking the idea of this around myself... Mine makes about the same power as your viper on blower (well, 900 only for me), I thought about a 150 shot as well... My blower combo is science out pretty well and reliable, I hate to mess with it and create problems... Another 150-200 hp worth of spray would be nice though.. Like you said, its a whole different level past 1050-1100hp..
Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Old 03-22-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

awesome vids
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

^ Still don't need 800+ to compete with random cars at Tk2k.
Great... I wasn't talking about random cars. I was talking about competitive cars.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
(740hp) - YouTube
Hey... Post 297.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Great... I wasn't talking about random cars. I was talking about competitive cars.

Hey... Post 297.
So now they aren't competitive?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

They're saying that sub 800 won't compete against the big dawgs with 12-1300... So I guess, yeah, they're not competitive. A 700hp Mustang or F-body simply won't stand a chance against an 1100hp Vette.

Sure, there are other factors to consider such as driver skill, traction etc. etc.
But generally speaking, no, they're not gonna stand a chance.

What they AREN'T saying is that ALL the cars in the area are that fast. Just the big guys on the videos. You can find all kinds of races at the lower levels of power. But that's not usually what people are interested in. Most people doing this kinda thing want to be at the top, IMPO.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Banned

Most ppl just enjoy racing as the majority can't afford to keep up with the so called "big dawgs".
Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Trust me, I agree. But everyone would LIKE to be on top. This whole conversation started because I want to compete with the top dogs. That's all this thing was about. So they told me what it would take to compete on that particular level. Granted, I already knew what it would take, but it's an entertaining conversation nonetheless. And that's the whole point IMO.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

What are you, hard of understanding? I was speaking of SPECIFIC VEHICLES and no, those under 800hp will NEVER have ANY chance of being competitive with the really fast cars out there... EVER!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Most ppl just enjoy racing as the majority can't afford to keep up with the so called "big dawgs".
So what? That has nothing to do with the fact of the matter.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

That Integra rolls out, it's fun to see a car like that beating some of the higher dollar cars
Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to go out on a limb and say fastest Integra in the country.

Quick Reply: ***TX2K14 Video Thread***