Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Doug.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Those mods add up to what I said give or take a little......whether you like it or not. Even on the low side 1(lid)+1(gears)+1(tune)+1(exhaust)=4mph

Hell I've taken mass air screens out for guys at the track and watched them pick up 1.5~mph.

What some of you are not looking at are the wheels/tires. The overall w/t package is pretty light on that car. It's got just enough on it to get it done instead of wasting alot to rolling resistance.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

A lid will get you 1-1.5 mph, the 3.73 should get 1-1.5 mph. A solid no tq management tune should get near 2 mph. The car in question has exhaust work too. Seems pretty logical.

You're a sharp guy, man and you know your **** but I cannot agree with you on your estimation of gained mph per mod. If gaining that much mph were that easy with each bolt-on, many of us would be trapping 120+. It is just not that easy.. IMO.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wbt
Maybe you think a car 4-500lbs. lighter running in 2,700' better air doesn't make a difference? My math shows that would equal .6-.7+ tenths better in favor of the Coyote. We are talking a 9 second N/A car vs. a 10 sec. car at that point. At those times/speed it is a HUGE difference. Not even in the same ballpark.

Speculation aside, I am comparing street legal cars to gutted race cars. Taking a 2011+ 5.0 to the track, cranking off 10's in sub-par conditions and driving back home with the A/C blowing while getting 25mph all stock block, N/A, is something that will never be seen by a comparable ls1 fbody car. That is how far apart the engines really are.

Regarding the 3.31...chalk that up to another win for Ford in this comparison. The flip side to the argument is how heavy the 6R80 is. Weight comes with that streetability.

LoL, good luck arguing with him
Old 03-30-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Car in question has gutten cats not exhaust. Kid got busted on svt saying he had 500 hp. Then said he had the parts but not on the car.

Mph taking out a screen? Not for me. I gained less than that going with a 85maf and tune. If car had 323 gears going to 373s will do nothing on an a4. Seen it many times on stock and bolt on cars. A stock a4 at that Okie track like that kids is a 103-105mph car. Adding tune,no screen,lid,gutted cats will not gain 8 mph on an a4 with stock converter. That using Hio math is 80 rwhp. We are being just as bad as some of the 5.0bros accepting that.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
wbt
Teching In

How can you chalk up a win for ford because of a a6?????lol It's a 14yr newer design, the fact that we are even comparing them is almost a big L for ford . No one had a a6 in 1997. You can chalk that a6 up to progress. Now since you want to say it like that think how much closer the ls1 would be with a a6.

I guess since the old f-cars are a little lighter you chalk up another win for Chevy.........cwhatididthere.
Not really. I gave the f-body all the benefits compared to the heavy 5.0. You act like the 6R80 is a huge advantage when in fact it is a huge detriment at the track. On the street it is a great trans. I bet my car would pick up with a traditional 3 speed auto at the track. All the N/A Ford Cobra Jet coyote cars use a 3 speed auto. If the 6R80 was an advantage they would have used that.

If you level the playing field comparing a gutted 5.0 running against a gutted 5.0 you get this:

Just as I said, comparing a 9 second car to a 10 second car and you you say the LS1 is everything the engine the Coyote is.....

Originally Posted by Heater
LoL, good luck arguing with him
I have nothing against him and we have gone rounds before. I just like to add a different perspective to the conversation.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
***Repost Police***

If there was even one legit/backed-up car that ran equal to that, I would have no problem accepting it. But when an obvious troll posts up that he ran a time/trap like that in the same conditions a bolt-on 5.0 isn't in the 11s (and SLOWER than the F-body in question, at that), I gotta call
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

I thought he had dumped exhaust or a cut-out??

Besides I was goin off iruns best of 108mph. Sure 3.73's will do something.....even more so with the stock verter.

Either way the mods he has listed should net 4-5 mph realistically......not 8 like mike is saying.

I have seen stock auto's go 106 @ my track.....and you say it is ****.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
Not really. I gave the f-body all the benefits compared to the heavy 5.0. You act like the 6R80 is a huge advantage when in fact it is a huge detriment at the track. On the street it is a great trans. I bet my car would pick up with a traditional 3 speed auto at the track. All the N/A Ford Cobra Jet coyote cars use a 3 speed auto. If the 6R80 was an advantage they would have used that.

If you level the playing field comparing a gutted 5.0 running against a gutted 5.0 you get this:
JPC- 9.96 with Sealed STOCK COYOTE ENGINE in a 2011 Mustang GT - YouTube

Just as I said, comparing a 9 second car to a 10 second car and you you say the LS1 is everything the engine the Coyote is.....

I have nothing against him and we have gone rounds before. I just like to add a different perspective to the conversation.
And this is why I say the 5.0's are more comparable to a ls6. The ls6 has now been 10.02 @ 135.1. That was at a 29xx raceweight according to vetteboy.

At any rate it proves they have just caught up and not really surpassed the old LS stuff.

I'll take a proper working a6 vs a a3 anyday. Ford did a great job gearing that a6 to the 5.0.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

nhra stock ls1's have been running 9's for years anyway.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

And this is why I say the 5.0's are more comparable to a ls6. The ls6 has now been 10.02 @ 135.1. That was at a 29xx raceweight according to vetteboy.

At any rate it proves they have just caught up and not really surpassed the old LS stuff.

I'll take a proper working a6 vs a a3 anyday. Ford did a great job gearing that a6 to the 5.0.
they love to brag about that 9 second bolt on car but always forget to mention that there's around 1000 pounds taken out of it.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

How can you chalk up a win for ford because of a a6?????lol It's a 14yr newer design, the fact that we are even comparing them is almost a big L for ford .
The LS1 is like 30yrs newer than the 351W and still hasn't caught up... Is that a win for GM?
No? Then it's even worse when we remember it hasn't caught up to the 4.6L either! Hence, GM moved on and you should too, because it's intelligent.

No one had a a6 in 1997. You can chalk that a6 up to progress.
Yup... innovation, technology, whatever... Better.

Now since you want to say it like that think how much closer the ls1 would be with a a6.
Please! Not to mention the 3060 lb race weight, the quickest LS1 on the list you boys are discussing is the one with a TH400... That's just a little likely to be better for drag racing than a 4L60E or the Ford auto 6. How many of those Mustangs are using a C4? None, of course. Think how much faster they'd be with that swap.

Like I said, the LS1 is great, but GM knew better was available. Now it's time you figure it out and stop beating on the dead horse that is "LS1" because it won't matter how long you beat it, GM has better things to discuss. Besides, real races aren't limited to "what you like" and that means, since power adders have been around longer than you have, N/A doesn't even remotely matter in the world or racing. All it will ever be for the rest of time is... an "also ran."
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Yea but nhra stock is not really stock. Those use ALot of tricks to get there. I love goin to watch those cars run. A guy I used to work with had a Javelin that raced in one of the stock classes.....it was not really stock and they do everything they can to get around the rules.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Yea but nhra stock is not really stock. Those use ALot of tricks to get there. I love goin to watch those cars run. A guy I used to work with had a Javelin that raced in one of the stock classes.....it was not really stock and they do everything they can to get around the rules.
in some ways it's more stock than what we are. stock, unported intake and exhaust. the the cam can be changed to any duration but remain stock lift. that still leaves the lift around .500 for an ls1 which is peanuts.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
they love to brag about that 9 second bolt on car but always forget to mention that there's around 1000 pounds taken out of it.
Says a raceweight of 2865 in the vid. Pretty damn light for sure. Almost 400lb less than my rw last time out. Lighter than vetteboy too.

I still give it credit for getting it on pretty damn good. I just don't think they have exceeded ls **** from 2002.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

in some ways it's more stock than what we are. stock, unported intake and exhaust. the the cam can be changed to any duration but remain stock lift. that still leaves the lift around .500 for an ls1 which is peanuts.
For sure.....what those guys do is impressive. Just not really comparable to a bolt-on type set-up.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Says a raceweight of 2865 in the vid. Pretty damn light for sure. Almost 400lb less than my rw last time out. Lighter than vetteboy too.

I still give it credit for getting it on pretty damn good. I just don't think they have exceeded ls **** from 2002.
they haven't. they have just caught up. but for an n\a ford that's pretty damn good.

raceweight of 2865 means with driver. that's a very gutted car.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

For sure.....what those guys do is impressive. Just not really comparable to a bolt-on type set-up.
bolt on 5.0 guys also mess around with their cam timing.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:59 PM
wbt
Teching In

bolt on 5.0 guys also mess around with their cam timing.
No ****. That is called tuning the car. It doesn't change the fact that the long block is bone stock. No, that doesn't mean a tuned 5.0 is now more comparable to a cammed LSanything. Someday GM will move to an OHC V-8 that offers the same capabilities.

BTW - You say most bolt-on 5.0's run 12's....according to the list I posted earlier the number of bolt-on 5.0's running 11's is double those running 12's.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
wbt
Teching In

they haven't. they have just caught up. but for an n\a ford that's pretty damn good.

raceweight of 2865 means with driver. that's a very gutted car.
Huh.....pretty comparable to the race cars at the top of this list:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html

You are whining about the weight only if it isn't an advantage to the LS platform. I'll say it for the third time....when you compare cars running similar weight, stock long blocks, you have a Coyote running 9's and an LS1/6 fbody running 10's.

BTW - that 9 second N/A Coyote isn't a NHRA class racer. It was built to run NMRA Coyote stock class. All cars in that class have to run stock, sealed motors.
http://www.nmradigital.com/cat/class...yote-stock.pdf
http://www.americanmuscle.com/nmra-s...te-engine.html

Quick Reply: bolt on ls1 vs bolt on 5.0