Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

bolt on ls1 vs bolt on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM
wbt
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
it's 2014 and that 5.0 still hasn't proved anything against a car from 1998. sad.
geez that's sad. poor 5.br0's.
still waiting for a stock or bolt on 5.br0 to show me whats up.
It's really a shame we aren't closer to each other. I wouldn't hesitate to embarrass you at the track and post the video for all to see.

I'm beginning to think you are ~15 yo.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

it's 2014 and that 5.0 still hasn't proved anything against a car from 1998. sad.
geez that's sad. poor 5.br0's.
still waiting for a stock or bolt on 5.br0 to show me whats up.
Originally Posted by TitanTransAm
x2...
Guys... The villages called. They want their idiots to report in...

Big Hammerhead... 3 utterly pointless posts in a row? Has the term "get a life" ever been introduced to you? If not, look into it A.S.A.P.

Newsflash... The 5L has already run the 1/4 quicker than the quickest LS1 F-body on planet earth... It's been around almost 4yrs now, so I know it's been a long time coming... From a year ago... so, 3yrs in, roughly.

Just sit back and enjoy it.. and stop wasting your time listening to HoHo the dreamer boy. The ONLY thing he's going to argue is that the playing field be tilted to help the LS1, trying to implement rules against power because he knows his choice is incapable of keeping up otherwise.

Titan... What a cute name... You're not only useless, not only weird, but also laughable, to say the least. Gather all your F-body knowledge, prep it for debate... then turn over a thimble and handily fit it inside for safe travel.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol potatobrah in da house
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

camel humps with a 3\4 race cam, eldebrock high rise intake and an m22 rockcrusher with 3.73 posi track rear end with 50's on it.
Now that's funny right there!! lmao
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adamantium
Lol potatobrah in da house
Speaking of trolls... didn't you find a job yet? Wait! No no... Don't tell me... I have a guess... They're discriminating against you for being a blockhead????
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The LS1 is like 30yrs newer than the 351W and still hasn't caught up... Is that a win for GM?
No? Then it's even worse when we remember it hasn't caught up to the 4.6L either! Hence, GM moved on and you should too, because it's intelligent.

Yup... innovation, technology, whatever... Better.

Please! Not to mention the 3060 lb race weight, the quickest LS1 on the list you boys are discussing is the one with a TH400... That's just a little likely to be better for drag racing than a 4L60E or the Ford auto 6. How many of those Mustangs are using a C4? None, of course. Think how much faster they'd be with that swap.

Like I said, the LS1 is great, but GM knew better was available. Now it's time you figure it out and stop beating on the dead horse that is "LS1" because it won't matter how long you beat it, GM has better things to discuss. Besides, real races aren't limited to "what you like" and that means, since power adders have been around longer than you have, N/A doesn't even remotely matter in the world or racing. All it will ever be for the rest of time is... an "also ran."
4L60E is faster because of its gearing than the th400 or the th350..
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol itll run is the definition of un sapingo
Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 AM
wbt
Teching In

Originally Posted by odarabla
4L60E is faster because of its gearing than the th400 or the th350..
Very broad statement without specifics. The reality is it depends on the application.

Gearing isn't the only consideration and shouldn't be the sole basis for such a statement.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
Very broad statement without specifics. The reality is it depends on the application.

Gearing isn't the only consideration and shouldn't be the sole basis for such a statement.
Take any LS -f-body that had the 4L60E in it and run it at the track. Pull the tranny and put a th350-th400 in it and rerun the car. The times will be slower. I know I did the testing in my car. Wasn't the same night but very similar conditions and the car just couldn't leave as hard anymore. Bigger first and second gear in the th350 slowed my car down. I am still running the same th350 in my car and run in the 9's but cannot find a 4L60E to hold the power for more than a few months.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 PM
wbt
Teching In

Take any LS -f-body that had the 4L60E in it and run it at the track. Pull the tranny and put a th350-th400 in it and rerun the car. The times will be slower. I know I did the testing in my car. Wasn't the same night but very similar conditions and the car just couldn't leave as hard anymore. Bigger first and second gear in the th350 slowed my car down. I am still running the same th350 in my car and run in the 9's but cannot find a 4L60E to hold the power for more than a few months.
Did you change the rear gear to compensate for the different planetary ratios when you made the swap?

Also, one has a lockup TC and the other doesn't. Many factors at play outside of just the trans ratios.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'm glad you did it, saving time for the rest of us. He clearly has no idea that many of us were around and actually driving these cars when they were new. He's coming in on the heels of the platform, having the opportunity to simply throw parts at it, because people like us did all the testing 15yrs ago...

That's the big problem with being a youngster in this kind of car... you may not realize that nearly EVERYBODY you're telling stories to, has been there and done that... while you wore diapers.

People question this kid and he makes like... HoHo, telling everyone this is all normal. Like I said early on, he may not even know what mods were done before he got the car. It's not like it was new at the time.
Thanks God for people like Mike and It'll Run on this site. It is good to hear real information and not some biased jibberish that seem to just clutter up the internet.
This is a car enthusiast site. Why can't we keep the brand loyal opinions at bay and just have real meaningful discussions.
I have a Furd but I would never try to hype up the car for more than what it is. I post all my mods and post all my vids whether I win or lose..(mostly lose though). I just do not understand why some on here feel the need to hype up the LSx motors. We are already aware of how great those motors are. No one is disputing that.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Mach you know that you fall in the 1% right? I can hop on another mustang site right not and hear nothing but biased crap about Gm stealing fords tech to make the LSx motors and how bad they suck. It's honestly rare not to run into blind ignorance (regardless of ford, dodge, chevy, etc)

Hop on the dodge forums... All 5.0s are pathetic and slow over there, hop on the mustang sites all dodge and Chevys are pathetic and slow, hop on ls1tech all dodge and Chevys are pathetic and slow.... Never ends.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by wbt
It's really a shame we aren't closer to each other. I wouldn't hesitate to embarrass you at the track and post the video for all to see.

I'm beginning to think you are ~15 yo.
Bolt on 5.0's are nothing to worry about.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Dp.....
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
Lol itll run is the definition of un sapingo
He's my little buddy!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanTransAm
So much Ford butthurt in here. All of you 5.bro fanboys just refuse to believe that a 15+ year old Camaro is this quick with such little work done to it. Quicker than a 5.bro, a MODIFIED 5.bro at that. Can't blame the diver either, because how hard is it to drive an almost stock automatic car with DR's? And there is nothing out of the ordinary here at all. OP just has a car that has been well maintained and probably not beat to hell and back it's entire life. My mild bolt on, daily driving A4 LS1 whoops bolt on 5.bro's by more than OP did in his video. I remember laughing my *** off once when one of them asked me what Heads/Cam package I was running. Boy did he end up feeling stupid. Again, because the car has been well maintained and not abused. Anyone who believes that the 5.bro is leaps and bounds above the LS1 F-body is on a new level of ignorance. Anyway, let the butthurt continue.
Pics of your car? I'm holding my breath!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Your GPS and stopwatch have you convinced!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Dont you drive a slow *** lt1?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
Did you change the rear gear to compensate for the different planetary ratios when you made the swap?

Also, one has a lockup TC and the other doesn't. Many factors at play outside of just the trans ratios.
There was no need to swap the rear gear. Already had a 4.11 gear in the car and was limited to how much spray I could use. Rev limiter was set at 7200rpm and was crossing the gate at around 6600-6800rpm on a dry 125hp shot at that time. Everything else was the same. Car just didn't Leave as good as with the 4L60E. And nothing was wrong with it either cause the same tranny and converter is sitting behind my new engine. The car went 10.39@130mph N/A right off the trailer with the engine that's in it now. Bet I could shave a couple tenths off with a good running 4L60E.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
wbt
Teching In

There was no need to swap the rear gear. Already had a 4.11 gear in the car and was limited to how much spray I could use. Rev limiter was set at 7200rpm and was crossing the gate at around 6600-6800rpm on a dry 125hp shot at that time. Everything else was the same. Car just didn't Leave as good as with the 4L60E. And nothing was wrong with it either cause the same tranny and converter is sitting behind my new engine. The car went 10.39@130mph N/A right off the trailer with the engine that's in it now. Bet I could shave a couple tenths off with a good running 4L60E.
What ratio's are you running in the TH350?

Also, since the 4l60e has a lockup TC you aren't going to have converter slip at the end of the track like you will in the TH350.

I would bet if you had the right gear set and converter with the TH350 it would work just as well and be lighter to boot.

Are you leaving off a transbrake?

Quick Reply: bolt on ls1 vs bolt on 5.0