Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)

Well, well, well… Ever since a good friend of mine told me about Mazda ‘Speed’s (turbo iterations of Mazda 3, etc) I’ve been wondering if one was ever going to jump on me. I wonder no longer….

Some of you know I keep my 96 Z28 looking stock except for the wheels. No decals, no spoilers, nothing to give the uninformed an idea. So today, after leaving the local pizza place, I’m putting on my turn signal to turn right onto the freeway feeder. As I descend down the ramp, I’m looking in the side rearview mirror for traffic when merging. But, I looked back behind me and saw one of the aforementioned Mazda’s about 5 cars back, moving to the side as if to get a look at my car. I merged out onto the freeway doing the legal (well, tolerated) 75mph. I have my window down and I glance back in the mirror again and see him coming up beside me quickly. I grin, then downshift to 5th, then 4th and as he gets beside me, 3rd. Before I can look up to see if we’re going to do the 3 horn honk thing, off he goes.

Not so fast buddy. As I fully wind out 3rd, he’s not moving away from me anymore. I shift to fourth and start moving briskly beside, then away from him. He’s staring straight ahead instead of giving a thumbs up, etc. So, being childish (do men ever stop that? Lol…) I give him an exaggerated “shocked face” like the baby in that Etrade commercial. He looks at me then… lol… I busted out laughing, slowed down for my exit and left the freeway.

Another great day to own this Camaro of mine. 18 yrs of fun. Thanks for the memories Z28 o’ mine.
Dave
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That just wasn't fair mang. Good run though
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Bully
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Hehehe.. maybe. I tell you, back when I was putting my kit together for the first time, I saw a video link to a Dodge Turbo Neon vs an STS LS1 z28. I thought, "what a joke, that Z28 will...." I stopped in mid sentence as I saw the Neon pull away. Up till then I thought, "Those turbo imports are faster than their N/A counterparts, but that's about it". I didn't realize how easy it was for those guys to upgrade and raise boost to make 400 on up Wheel HP. Couple that power with the lighter weight. They can put up a good fight. There's several imports in my area that have 800 on up wheel HP. Sickening. Lol... I've been fortunate not to run those guys. I ran a sport bike last week on the tollway. We went from 60mph roll, he was surprised that I pulled ahead of him but he was cool about it, giving me a thumbs up. It was only a 600cc though. Rochester has a more aggressive/lawless crowd than Albany. No one wants to race in Albany but here in Rochester, guys are consistently rolling up beside me and zinging their motors, hahaha... Probably because of the colleges that are nearby.

Originally Posted by hugger1975
Bully
Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had similar experiences with ricers, and a few others, here in Dallas.

I try to keep the exterior of my car unassuming as well.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Wow... That's excellent! Yeah, looking at the exterior, I bet you get a lot of guys thinking you're no challenge. Lol.. I can just imagine the perplexed look on their faces as you walk away from them on the freeways.
Good job!

Originally Posted by SixPak
I've had similar experiences with ricers, and a few others, here in Dallas.

I try to keep the exterior of my car unassuming as well.

Quick Reply: Mazda Speed (turbo car) vs LT1 (turbo car)