Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

anybody else have to have a certain shoe to drive fast??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a size 15 1/2 and I always wear my old size 14 adidas superstars that fit my feet like an extra set of skin. Having big feet is such a pain in the *** when driving the 6-speed, always getting stuck on carpet and all the other crap under the dash. The innuendo of having big feet is great though
Old 05-19-2004, 08:58 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Transamula
I wear a size 15 1/2 and I always wear my old size 14 adidas superstars that fit my feet like an extra set of skin. Having big feet is such a pain in the *** when driving the 6-speed, always getting stuck on carpet and all the other crap under the dash. The innuendo of having big feet is great though
Yeah, big feet= big socks!
I have etnies, too. Those are the best for me as well.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

I wear a size 13. When I used to drive my uncle's car I had on some Chucks! Yeah Chucks there made buy Converse go to any mall footlocker and ask for some Chucks you will like them. They bearly have a sole you can feel the whole pedal. Damm near like driving bear foot.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Teching In

bare feet isnt safe, but im sure thats the best, i CANNOT drive with bootws or thick soled just like erbody else said, i dont needa particular pair of shoes, but they gotta be like runnin shoes or tennis shoes, something thin and flexible... feed back is the most critical point in gettin a stick car especially to hook on the street, and wearing a big ol doc martin (as far as feedback) is about as effective as... ok i have nothing creative to say... so its not effective...
Old 05-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by whppdyomnkyazz
bare feet isnt safe, but im sure thats the best, i CANNOT drive with bootws or thick soled just like erbody else said, i dont needa particular pair of shoes, but they gotta be like runnin shoes or tennis shoes, something thin and flexible... feed back is the most critical point in gettin a stick car especially to hook on the street, and wearing a big ol doc martin (as far as feedback) is about as effective as... ok i have nothing creative to say... so its not effective...

Yeah man I hear u, I'm just sayin maybe you would like to check them out. My old man used to have a 1969 Judge GTO and he used to talk about the same thing. Only thing different is u need one hell of a left foot for one of those. But yeah if u want to check out the shoe is real thin soled real flexible. But then again every ones different thats why they make different shoes.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

same here man. when i went to a party in my car i had trouble just driving my M6 with my boots on because i could hardly feel the way i pushed on the pedals. but when i go to the hangouts where alot of people race i wear my AND 1 sneakers. i get a great feel to the pedals and driver perfect.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

got myself a pair of adidas shell toes and yea i too suffer from big feet synfrom im wearing a 13 and there getting too small.....sumanabitch....
Old 05-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Launching!

oneill thong type sandals.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Teching In

i had heavy basketball shoes on the other day to race my friend in his '96 cobra, i had a horrible launch and even went past red lining it on my shift into third but of course I still won b/c well 5.7 is superior to 4.6 (I learned that in 1st grade (ahh what a public education does these days)
Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Teching In

ever driven a m6 with the slick a$$ shoes they give you with a tux rental? (horrible) not only do i have problems hitting the carpet with my size 13's but i could hardly feel the freakin pedals.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to be barefoot or in socks, i'm not comfortable racing the car any other way. i've tried alot of diff shoes but none of them have given me confidence in my control of the car.

i wait until i'm about to be called out of the staging lanes to head for the water box and i pull them off quick and toss em behind me seat. been doing it for as long as i've been racing. its kinda the joke around here, when i used to street race alot everyone found it hilarious that i'd take my shoes off before we headed out to do the race after locking it in.

hey whatever works right
Old 05-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Hell yeah what ever gets the win.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

I really only wear boots.

Docs or Red Wings.

I am usually wearing Docs when I drive or ride. I have two pair of Docs and Redwings. A plain brown leather pair and a black pair. The brown pair are easier to drive/ride in.The summer redwings work fine as they are thin but my winter/waterproof redwings suck because they are so bulky.

Then I have Alpinestars boots for racing. These things really suck. You can't move your foot side to side. They are angled forward like a ski boot.It's hard to walk in them. But they'll make it so you're foot won't get as fucked up if you come off the bike.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
i have to be barefoot or in socks, i'm not comfortable racing the car any other way. i've tried alot of diff shoes but none of them have given me confidence in my control of the car.

i wait until i'm about to be called out of the staging lanes to head for the water box and i pull them off quick and toss em behind me seat. been doing it for as long as i've been racing. its kinda the joke around here, when i used to street race alot everyone found it hilarious that i'd take my shoes off before we headed out to do the race after locking it in.

hey whatever works right

That's very interesting.

I was told by someone that driving without footwear on in IL was illegal.That'd be an odd ticket to get..
Old 05-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

WALMART all the way! lol, thin sol and ok grip.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:16 AM
STF Veteran

This thread is funny. I didn't realize so many people had such a strong opinion about driving shoes.

I will share an emabarassing driving shoe story with you.

When I was 15 years old my mom had a AMC Pacer (we never had money growing up). She would let me drive it to the store to get stuff. The store was about 1 mile away. We lived out in the country. (Randleman for all of the NC people) Well I would always take a little detour down a dirt road that had a 90* turn in it. I would floor it in the turn and get it sideways and try to drive it out. (too much Dukes of Hazzard). Well this particular time I was wearing hiking boots. Well, I get to the turn and I floor it. The back end swings a little more than I wanted it to. I try to let off of the gas but my boot got stuck under the brake. Well the car whips back the other way (towards a dirt bank). I ended up hitting the bank perfectly perpendicular with the front bumper (luckily no damage). Needless to say that ended my stunt driving career early.

My point to the story is that shoes really do make a difference when you are driving.

I don't drive with big boots on unless I absolutely have to anymore.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I wear a 14 and have to wear some thin soled shoes to do best
Old 05-26-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

I love to wear a nice pair of light running shoes (New Balance) or some light weight dress shoes. I seem to get a good feel wearing either one but especially with the running shoes.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

hmmm,maybe I'm the oddball here,but I need to wear boots(Lugs,Tim's,etc),if I am to wear anything else whether it be shoes or bare footed it always ends up being early,late or missed shifts all together
Old 05-27-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i get brand new shoes i have to "break them in" cause sometimes i have a hard time feeling the pedals.......idk its werid