Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Hammer hammers on FBO 96 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015 | 02:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
I actually raced at LACR a few times and it ran pretty slow too. It was up a little higher in elevation than Fontana (about 2,800 ft I believe) so the DA still wasn't very good up there. When it was hot, it would get up to 6,000 ft DA.

Fontana just has no redeeming qualities. Not enough runs, bad DA, the wind, etc. I am always surprised how slow that track is. Pomona was right about 1,000 feet elevation and the DA was usually between 1,000-2,000. That's where I ran 13.2 at 108 bone stock in my Camaro on a 2,000 DA day. It was just a good track all around.

Carlsbad was at sea level, so my car always MPH'd super high there, but the times were terrible because the track was crap. You actually entered on a washboard dirt road. With no cats, lid, and 4.10s, I ran 13.1 at 112.70 spinning most of the 1st 330'. Like I said, good MPH but no traction.
I grew up in San Diego and my Dad raced at Carlsbad since the early 90s. I started there in in 2000 when I turned 16 and raced there till they closed. I love how laid back the staff was there. The road in was hell if you were lowered. But man it was close, cheap, and a quick near sea level track. Fontana just sucks in all ways. Barona is closer to me and although it's in the mountains/boondocks, the track itself is very nice.
Old 09-03-2015 | 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Default Hammer hammers on FBO 96 cobra

I actually raced at LACR a few times and it ran pretty slow too. It was up a little higher in elevation than Fontana (about 2,800 ft I believe) so the DA still wasn't very good up there. When it was hot, it would get up to 6,000 ft DA.

Fontana just has no redeeming qualities. Not enough runs, bad DA, the wind, etc. I am always surprised how slow that track is. Pomona was right about 1,000 feet elevation and the DA was usually between 1,000-2,000. That's where I ran 13.2 at 108 bone stock in my Camaro on a 2,000 DA day. It was just a good track all around.

Carlsbad was at sea level, so my car always MPH'd super high there, but the times were terrible because the track was crap. You actually entered on a washboard dirt road. With no cats, lid, and 4.10s, I ran 13.1 at 112.70 spinning most of the 1st 330'. Like I said, good MPH but no traction.
Yeah Pomona is probably the best track in Southern California. Too bad it's not open to the public. My buddy ran the fastest pass ever recorded for a 300z there, back in the day. Of course no one believed his time. I've heard the track prep is significant enough to pull your sneakers off of it, if you walked along the track. My buddy launched his Z28 at 3000 rpms and almost stalled it coming off the line.

Thanks guys for signing the petition.
Old 09-03-2015 | 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
I grew up in San Diego and my Dad raced at Carlsbad since the early 90s. I started there in in 2000 when I turned 16 and raced there till they closed. I love how laid back the staff was there. The road in was hell if you were lowered. But man it was close, cheap, and a quick near sea level track. Fontana just sucks in all ways. Barona is closer to me and although it's in the mountains/boondocks, the track itself is very nice.
Yeah, I actually loved Carlsbad. I didn't start going there until 2001 as I was racing at Pomona starting in 1997. As soon as that closed down, Carlsbad was the next best thing as everyone disliked LACR. That dirt road was murder though. Pretty much everyone I knew had lowered cars (myself included) and it got quite irritating. Never been to Barona, but once my car is functioning correctly, I might check it out. I haven't been to Fontana in years because of all its issues, so I'm on the fence about going back.
Old 09-03-2015 | 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Denom
Yeah Pomona is probably the best track in Southern California. Too bad it's not open to the public. My buddy ran the fastest pass ever recorded for a 300z there, back in the day. Of course no one believed his time. I've heard the track prep is significant enough to pull your sneakers off of it, if you walked along the track. My buddy launched his Z28 at 3000 rpms and almost stalled it coming off the line.

Thanks guys for signing the petition.
There was always a group of 300ZX guys (I'm a huge fan of them) back in the late 90s-early 00s, and a couple of them ran really well. We always stopped by to hang out and one of them even let me drive his car. Loved those days as the vehicle diversity was awesome and everyone was super cool when they were still running the street legal drags there. Prep was pretty awesome though. They occasionally had bad prep days (what track doesn't?) but it was usually dialed in.

I felt like I could have run 12.9-13.0 stock at Pomona because the track was awesome, but I always seemed to save my good 60' passes for when I would miss third or something.
Old 09-03-2015 | 03:38 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

I was in Carlsbad last winter. Beautiful area
Old 09-03-2015 | 03:50 PM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by big hammer
I was in Carlsbad last winter. Beautiful area
You snow bird
Old 09-03-2015 | 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Where'd all these Cali guys come from?? Lol. Terminal Island won't be reopened, how ever, they are working on using an airstrip for events in LA..

MTN where in Upland are you? I have a good friend who lives off the 10 and Mountain always out that way. He has a 6.0 '68 C10.
Old 09-03-2015 | 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Where'd all these Cali guys come from?? Lol. Terminal Island won't be reopened, how ever, they are working on using an airstrip for events in LA..

MTN where in Upland are you? I have a good friend who lives off the 10 and Mountain always out that way. He has a 6.0 '68 C10.
I'm north of there near Mountain and the 210. I'm currently building a 78 Chevy K10 with a 6.0/4L80. Been in my family since new. Let me know when you guys are in the area.
Old 09-04-2015 | 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

I'm north of there near Mountain and the 210. I'm currently building a 78 Chevy K10 with a 6.0/4L80. Been in my family since new. Let me know when you guys are in the area.
Shoot me a PM with your number if you don't mind.

Quick Reply: Hammer hammers on FBO 96 cobra