Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A View from the other side

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB
Well, if this kid doesn't want to look like a typical ricer punk, he shoulldn't say stupid **** like "the sweet smell of nitrous"...its just dumb. I guess I am intolerant of idiot teenage ricer punks for some strange reason.
Please refrain from personal attacks. I'm turning over a new leaf.

Nitrous itself however is a colorless odorless gas.
It's in liquid form when it's in the bottle.

Nice deaths. I'm sure you're right about the SS running the sauce if he was running with you then all of a sudden pulled like mad.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Please refrain from personal attacks. I'm turning over a new leaf.

It's in liquid form when it's in the bottle.

Nice deaths. I'm sure you're right about the SS running the sauce if he was running with you then all of a sudden pulled like mad.
....... i know mag articles aren't the end all to car times, which is why i added the "i don't know what they usually run"........thanks for letting me know....
Old 06-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jdustu
yeah...i was just searching around some different sites and 25% is the number that keeps popping up......but doesn't the sti have some completely new drivetrain that's supposed to knock that % down from the wrx? they're definetely not built as a straight line racer, but both hot rod and car & driver had it running 13.2s.......that's not too bad...the hot rod test was heads up vs. a 04' cobra that ran a 13.3....i don't know what they usually run, but that's pretty impressive.....like the ugly girl with a nice personality.......
Good one. *grin* Yeah, the Sti has a different drivetrain than the standard WRX, but I don't think there's really much they can do to limit drivetrain loss in an AWD car. It's a neccessary evil if you want all 4 wheels to be driven.

Those car magazine guys abuse the cars like most owners won't. Subaru guys have already discovered what a bunch of 5K launches will do to the factory clutch.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WestsideWRX
Good one. *grin* Yeah, the Sti has a different drivetrain than the standard WRX, but I don't think there's really much they can do to limit drivetrain loss in an AWD car. It's a neccessary evil if you want all 4 wheels to be driven.

Those car magazine guys abuse the cars like most owners won't. Subaru guys have already discovered what a bunch of 5K launches will do to the factory clutch.
yeah, that'd be pretty sweet to not give a crap about what happens to the car and just beat on it like a red-headed step child........i give a crap and still beat on my cars and the results usualy suck
Old 06-11-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Nice! Be careful out there.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Ok let me clarify a few things. One is the Sti puts about 245 hp to ground and around 252 tq. Number two unless your buds car is seriously built there is no way he is boosting 24 psi. That car cannot go much over 16 psi with a stock motor or major things start happening. Judging by your friends car mods he should without a doubt be running mid to high 12.s so those other cars were no joke.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
First general rule of thumb when you are going to make fun of somebody is to make sure you know what you are talking about. If somebody sprays nitrous you will smell the sulfer dioxide that is added to non-medical grade (standard car use) nitrous coming out of the exhaust.
I have run a few dozen spray'd cars, and have spray'd my own car ... never once have I smelled it. I'm sure we are all well aware that they add sulfer dioxide to automotive grade nitrous .... but it is miniscule amount, which can barely be noticed if you stood around while a car purged ... therefore, I highly doubt anyone is smelling it after it has been burnt, coming out the exhaust of the car in front of them at 100+mph. I would however accept that the phrase was used to denote that he was obviously spraying.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Phantom - I've run endless bottles of nitrous through my LS1 and I never smelled anything either.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:40 AM
7 Second Club

Received 304 Likes on 204 Posts

I can't smell it on my car when I am spraying either but when you get behind somebody you can. I can't believe we are even arguing over this fact.

Last edited by Nic00Z28M6; 06-12-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:24 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
I can't smell it on my car when I am spraying either but when you get behind somebody you can. I can't believe we are even arguing over this fact.
Can't smell it....period! the sulpur in on the order of several ppm (parts per million). Unless you have your Golden retriever with you, your not smelling it!

But whatever, I think the guy who posted this doesn't know what he is talking about, but its just my opinion. But.....you don't smell nitrous, expecialy over the smell of gasoline!!!

SDB
Old 06-12-2004, 02:29 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I could hit 13.3s with a new Cobra if I shifted with my *******.
LOL

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by enisguy

Guys, I don't think he literally meant he could smell the N2O, I think he was just saying that he was guessing that the car was spraying.

what he said.

the SS was slowing pulling ahead of us and the TA and then it suddenly took off, so I'm assuming it was N2O that did it.

Originally Posted by 99badta
Ok let me clarify a few things. One is the Sti puts about 245 hp to ground and around 252 tq. Number two unless your buds car is seriously built there is no way he is boosting 24 psi.

boost gauge needle stops just below 25psi, and Java (owner of the car) had changed out the wastegate with another one- dunno, maybe the gauge is calibrated wrong. :shrug:

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
LOL, I know who you ran. I used to live down there and cruise with those guys. They post on here too. You can find them on www.revxtreme.com/forums also.

so what did the SS really have done to it?

[edit] just a comment, but It's always been in my book that personal attacks/flames were a sign of greater immaturity than using a bad analogy/metaphor. besides, I'm a mathematics student, not an engrish major [/edit]

Last edited by Biomechanoid; 06-12-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:35 PM
7 Second Club

Received 304 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB
Can't smell it....period! the sulpur in on the order of several ppm (parts per million). Unless you have your Golden retriever with you, your not smelling it!
Yea sure, believe what ever you want. I am not going to try and convince anybody of this fact.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:44 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good....because your wrong. Easily settled!

SDB
Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

sooo....... your going to put an ls1 in your Fiero hu?????? i know this one guy that put an lt5 in his fiero. i dont personally know him just of him. anyways i thought about that before i got my truck. but.... i was to much in love w/ her.!! i also thought about getting an RX-7 and doing the same engine swap but the RX-7's are hard to find. atleast where i live. then again everything is hard to find where i live. BUT there are alot of fast cars in little ol' EPT. no b/s.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Was it the red SS or the black SS?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by *WILDSTYLE 5.3*
sooo....... your going to put an ls1 in your Fiero hu?????? i know this one guy that put an lt5 in his fiero. i dont personally know him just of him. anyways i thought about that before i got my truck. but.... i was to much in love w/ her.!! i also thought about getting an RX-7 and doing the same engine swap but the RX-7's are hard to find. atleast where i live. then again everything is hard to find where i live. BUT there are alot of fast cars in little ol' EPT. no b/s.
I saw a mazda RX-7 with an LS1, and that thing was WICKED!!! For the first time in my life I was scared to drive a car...
Old 06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea one of my buddies is currently putting a ls1 together to go in his rx7
Old 06-15-2004, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
Was it the red SS or the black SS?

Red SS 4th gen.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post