Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Poppacap vs mappins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Cheaper/easier to maintain. Most are more familiar with it to.

Unless your car is a full on drag car you will see a benefit of irs. Sad that you narrow it down to a full on drag car which typically lives on a smooth concrete pad to try and prove a point that's not even in your best interest. Shows how narrow minded you are.

Hey errybody top fuel cars are like 30ft long.......lets all lengthen our cars......lmao
Sad that you can't comprehend that we are talking about drag racing.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Btw sra cars can wheel hop bad to. Sra has the advantage of being less costly and people are simply more familiar with it so i can understand why some switch to it.

Irs offers the ability the control the wheel better. It has less weight to to control and since the diff is mounted to the body there is one less force to deal with. Manufacturers aren't goin TO sra to gain control and traction.....think about it.
I give Hio a lot of **** on here, but he is right about this. Just because manufactures dont optimize the IRS on their mass production cars for drag racing, doesnt mean IRS doesnt have its advantages for both handling and traction.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
I give Hio a lot of **** on here, but he is right about this. Just because manufactures dont optimize the IRS on their mass production cars for drag racing, doesnt mean IRS doesnt have its advantages for both handling and traction.

read my sig please. thanks. /thread
Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely agree. For turning where you need the rear end to adjust to the slope or degree of a turn, IRS all day.

But we are talking about drag racing. SRA will always be superior due to it applies equal lateral down force to a surface that it (the rear) is always parallel to. Something IRS struggles to do.

-Mark
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Completely agree. For turning where you need the rear end to adjust to the slope or degree of a turn, IRS all day.

But we are talking about drag racing. SRA will always be superior due to it applies equal lateral down force to a surface that it (the rear) is always parallel to. Something IRS struggles to do.

-Mark
yup. IRS is great for handling and a street car. Watts-link setup for a SRA helps them compete with IRS, but doesn't make it as great as IRS for turning. We are talking about drag racing though, where hio constantly deflects and brings up handling and street-ability
Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

-Mark
Not necessarily true as the rotational inertia through the drivetrain plants one tire harder than the other (why cars seem to twist). Isn't that effect diminished through IRS due to the fact that the diff is connected directly to the body? and in either case, cant you just preload one side?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Not necessarily true as the rotational inertia through the drivetrain plants one tire harder than the other (why cars seem to twist). Isn't that effect diminished through IRS due to the fact that the diff is connected directly to the body? and in either case, cant you just preload one side?
The twisting will be present and that it will cause squatting but the rear is still parallel. But an indirect result of twisting is unloading of the RR tire. ARB's fix this issue. The are welded to the axle tubes and body. Can't weld an ARB to a half shaft.

With IRS the same squatting is present. Only difference is that now since the diff is bolted to the chassis, it too dips. Because the end of the half shafts are basically a u-joint, the half shafts are now pointing downward toward the squatting diff.

Best analogy is trying to tighten a nut with a socket wrench and the socket is connected to elbow that is connected to a wrench. At 180* (facing straight up) the elbow acts like a regular fixed socket extension. But turn it 90* and it becomes 10x harder to tighten the same nut.

-Mark
Old 03-30-2016, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

The twisting will be present and that it will cause squatting but the rear is still parallel. But an indirect result of twisting is unloading of the RR tire. ARB's fix this issue. The are welded to the axle tubes and body. Can't weld an ARB to a half shaft.

With IRS the same squatting is present. Only difference is that now since the diff is bolted to the chassis, it too dips. Because the end of the half shafts are basically a u-joint, the half shafts are now pointing downward toward the squatting diff.

Best analogy is trying to tighten a nut with a socket wrench and the socket is connected to elbow that is connected to a wrench. At 180* (facing straight up) the elbow acts like a regular fixed socket extension. But turn it 90* and it becomes 10x harder to tighten the same nut.

-Mark
Truth be told, I am not nearly as knowledgable about the nuances of susp. setup, I was thinking more high level physics/free body diagram, haha. Apparently I need to do some research on how ARBs work for me to better understand this...
Old 03-30-2016, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Truth be told, I am not nearly as knowledgable about the nuances of susp. setup, I was thinking more high level physics/free body diagram, haha. Apparently I need to do some research on how ARBs work for me to better understand this...
http://www.dragzine.com/project-cars...nti-roll-bars/

This is a pretty good one. It's a big dilemma for street cars because ARBs or "drag bars" suck for corners but dominate for straight line. Constant battle lol. Same for lowering springs and such. Can't have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

At a high level you're on track.

Kevin the owner of this site gives a crash course in drag racing suspension tuning. It's a good start.

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/i...A_Drag_Car.htm

Then if you have a lot of time you can read Billy Shope's site. He's an automotive engineer from back in the day so it took me a while to understand the forces he is explaining and how they are being applied..

http://www.shopeshop.org/contentsDrag.htm

-Mark
Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

IRS is pretty good
Old 03-30-2016, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big hammer
E85 is top fuel
I have proof to the contrary
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
I have proof to the contrary
A tenth quicker in the 1/4 man!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So race gas is cheaper than regular gas??
Old 03-30-2016, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Sad that you can't comprehend that we are talking about drag racing.
Well.....do you have a drag only car?
And this is the thing.....manufacturers hasn't optimized either for drag racing. But it's clear which one makes more traction out of the box.
Originally Posted by ThoR294
read my sig please. thanks. /thread
Your sig only proves you and your idiot sug brother can't think outside the box.

You realize you are siding with a guy who can't get a built 5.4 in a gutted race car to go past 11.5 right?

-Mark
So you really think that sra stays straight?....lol

Can you control toe with a sra? No....you are assuming the axle stays straight. Backbrace anyone? Yea...there is a reason for those.

Can you control the camber of a sra??.....nope

You have already talked about modding your sra with a anti roll bar just to keep it in the game......and you're not as fast as stock irs car with it yet.
This.....you're already one to the good just by having one less force to control.

-Mark
You don't have to weld to a half shaft you idiot. Irs cars have anti roll bars too. And they aren't welded to the half shaft.

Also since the diff is mounted to the chassis there is less weight on the wheel.......that means it can react faster.

So now you have one less force to react, less weight slowing down the reaction, a myrid of stock suspended irs cars in the 9s and you want to bind up your sra car with some huge rear arb and further mod it with a backbrace just to keep up....lol

You do realize irs cars will be further developed here ehile sra is basically as good as it gets right??......no you don't. You can't think that far ahead.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Stock zr1 on a tire. You're not gonna leave much more level that that irs car

Old 03-30-2016, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Well.....do you have a drag only car?

And this is the thing.....manufacturers hasn't optimized either for drag racing. But it's clear which one makes more traction out of the box.

Your sig only proves you and your idiot sug brother can't think outside the box.

You realize you are siding with a guy who can't get a built 5.4 in a gutted race car to go past 11.5 right?

So you really think that sra stays straight?....lol

Can you control toe with a sra? No....you are assuming the axle stays straight. Backbrace anyone? Yea...there is a reason for those.

Can you control the camber of a sra??.....nope

You have already talked about modding your sra with a anti roll bar just to keep it in the game......and you're not as fast as stock irs car with it yet.

This.....you're already one to the good just by having one less force to control.

You don't have to weld to a half shaft you idiot. Irs cars have anti roll bars too. And they aren't welded to the half shaft.

Also since the diff is mounted to the chassis there is less weight on the wheel.......that means it can react faster.

So now you have one less force to react, less weight slowing down the reaction, a myrid of stock suspended irs cars in the 9s and you want to bind up your sra car with some huge rear arb and further mod it with a backbrace just to keep up....lol

You do realize irs cars will be further developed here ehile sra is basically as good as it gets right??......no you don't. You can't think that far ahead.
LMAO. I already proved to you in the other thread (and many agreed) that you don't know **** when it comes to drag racing. Hence a 130mph trapping car only running 10.99999. Hell, you didn't even know what a neutral centerline was, yet you post non descriptive answers to TRY and sound intelligent and expect people to believe you. Then the standard response when you get called out on it, you resort back to your "your built car only runs blah blah". You're so easy. I wonder if you paid someone to put that motor in your car. Wouldn't surprise me.

I can show you a dozen SS cars on the back bumper as ZNix already pointed out that they are way faster than 10's. lol.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Hmmm hio makes some good points
Old 03-30-2016, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

LMAO. I already proved to you in the other thread (and many agreed) that you don't know **** when it comes to drag racing. Hence a 130mph trapping car only running 10.99999. Hell, you didn't even know what a neutral centerline was, yet you post non descriptive answers to TRY and sound intelligent and expect people to believe you. Then the standard response when you get called out on it, you resort back to your "your built car only runs blah blah". You're so easy. I wonder if you paid someone to put that motor in your car. Wouldn't surprise me.

I can show you a dozen SS cars on the back bumper as ZNix already pointed out that they are way faster than 10's. lol.
I'm the one that pointed out neutral in the other thread dipshit.

Sure man....show me some ss cars doin it. You know.....cars that are not stock at all. I posted a stock irs car as 1 example. You want to post not stock sra cars standing on the rear bumper which by the way is not the ****** fastest way down the track.......but I'm the one that don't know nothing about drag racing eeehh?

Znix didn't post **** to back up his claim.

My stick car on a dr ran faster than your stick car with a slick. It may have out 60'd you to. How intelligent do you feel now....lol

How does your stick car run on a dr? Tell us wtf you know about a tq arm car and the adjustments you've made to one. Basically it looks like you bolted a big slick on your turd and hoped for the best.

Pretty cool that bolt on ls6 out et/trapped your built 5.4 in a lighter car. If you think you offended me by talking about my 130mph traps you're wrong stupid.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the one that pointed out neutral in the other thread dipshit.

Sure man....show me some ss cars doin it. You know.....cars that are not stock at all. I posted a stock irs car as 1 example. You want to post not stock sra cars standing on the rear bumper which by the way is not the ****** fastest way down the track.......but I'm the one that don't know nothing about drag racing eeehh?

Znix didn't post **** to back up his claim.

My stick car on a dr ran faster than your stick car with a slick. It may have out 60'd you to. How intelligent do you feel now....lol

How does your stick car run on a dr? Tell us wtf you know about a tq arm car and the adjustments you've made to one. Basically it looks like you bolted a big slick on your turd and hoped for the best.

Pretty cool that bolt on ls6 out et/trapped your built 5.4 in a lighter car. If you think you offended me by talking about my 130mph traps you're wrong stupid.
What if that ZR1 had a SRA?

Quick Reply: Poppacap vs mappins!