Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

15' FBO Brolander vs. stock A8 16' Goat Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It wasn't even that really. After actually starting to tune it himself he found in the tune where the rev limit wasn't set at 7100 because it needed changed in another place. His car was probably only good for 12.7@113 when they ran.

It's at 7300 now
So he tried to toon it and failed a bit. Toon was still adjusted, even if it was done so in a poor fashion.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Going to have to side with hio here
Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

No matter how islander tries to twist it that don't change that the rev limit wasn't even where we thought it was and timing and fueling was stock.......along with the tm in the tune. What a killer that was.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big hammer
Going to have to side with hio here
Haha! As opposed to when otherwise?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:02 PM
7 Second Club

No matter how islander tries to twist it that don't change that the rev limit wasn't even where we thought it was and timing and fueling was stock.......along with the tm in the tune. What a killer that was.
Nah. My above statement is accurate.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Lt1 are all the rage
Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Word is spreading. Some were surprised didn't believe I was basically stock. Some knew what was up.
Pull that intake manifold off in a few thousand k and look down in that port and tell me if you still feel the same. Lol
Old 10-25-2016, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
Nah. My above statement is accurate.
No.....it's **** you made up.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Pull that intake manifold off in a few thousand k and look down in that port and tell me if you still feel the same. Lol

Car and Drivers long term SS picked up .2 and 2 mph at something like 10 or 15 k miles when they re tested on the same test track as compared to stock.

Catch cans are supposed to help keep the valves clean. Ill add one of those too. They can be cleaned as well with certain procedures (walnutting or something lol forget the name)

I don't think the two drag pack and tune 5.0s at Milan that I was paddling last night by a half second plus and 3.5 mph plus all night would feel any better if you told them that.

In fact...they wouldn't even look my way. The only cool guy there was in a challenger. Big shocker. he was smoking them too. Was a great night of beating up 5.0s. Reminded me of the ls1 days. Almost brought a tear to my eye

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 10-25-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM
7 Second Club

No.....it's **** you made up.
You said he tried to toon it himself. No ones fault that he had no clue of what he was doing and did it poorly.

Putting a bama toon on a mustang is still a non factory toon.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Car and Drivers long term SS picked up .2 and 2 mph at something like 10 or 15 k miles when they re tested on the same test track as compared to stock.

Catch cans are supposed to help keep the valves clean. Ill add one of those too. They can be cleaned as well with certain procedures (walnutting or something lol forget the name)

I don't think the two drag pack and tune 5.0s at Milan that I was paddling last night by a half second plus and 3.5 mph plus all night would feel any better if you told them that.

In fact...they wouldn't even look my way. The only cool guy there was in a challenger. Big shocker. he was smoking them too. Was a great night of beating up 5.0s. Reminded me of the ls1 days. Almost brought a tear to my eye
A catch can will aid not cure. All I'm going to say is my job enables me to see this on almost a daily basis and that there's no replecement for fuel going through the port and over the valves to keep deposits off of them. Keep up with your cleanings! Lol

Idk where the 5.0 bashing came from but good for you. I'm glad you had fun with your car. My car doesn't have either of those mods and has seen more mph.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

A catch can will aid not cure. All I'm going to say is my job enables me to see this on almost a daily basis and that there's no replecement for fuel going through the port and over the valves to keep deposits off of them. Keep up with your cleanings! Lol

Idk where the 5.0 bashing came from but good for you. I'm glad you had fun with your car. My car doesn't have either of those mods and has seen more mph.
Not on the same track and the same day with me it didn't. Had some big wind gusts at times. But that's cool. tune and tire. 113 trap was all they had. 110-111 most of the night.

You randomly add to the conversation by calling my motor a piece of ****...that's where it came from. just giving it back.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Launching!

First of all, my pb pass I had a headwind too, posted the video here many times. What was the da for this night? Your car is modded much more than mine. Lol

Second, I didn't call your motor a pos. It makes awesome power but it has a pretty serious flaw. If it hurts your feelings I'm sorry. I don't mind the trash talk, I've got thick skin the left field 5.0 track thrashing just through me for a loop. Lol
Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

First of all, my pb pass I had a headwind too, posted the video here many times. What was the da for this night? Your car is modded much more than mine. Lol

Second, I didn't call your motor a pos. It makes awesome power but it has a pretty serious flaw. If it hurts your feelings I'm sorry. I don't mind the trash talk, I've got thick skin the left field 5.0 track thrashing just through me for a loop. Lol
It wasn't left field. You came across rude. Its not about hurting feelings its about how its said. Or why even say it at all? I know all about the lt1 I don't need the information but thanks. you said it to bother me so nice job. im not an idiot.

Do you like it when people throw random rude comments at you? nope you sure didn't.

and lol at my modded car. The drag pack is nice yes. The cai and tb are mods for the future. they show no gains on a stock 6g. look it up. it runs how a stock 6g runs with a pack and a 250lb driver at Milan dragway. And that's a half second faster and 3.5 mph over a tuned and dragpack coyote who had 15 tries. Not sure how your results matter on a different track and day. you would have been 111-112 that night.

your trap speeds are irrelevant regardless of comparing DA. Tracks run different
Old 10-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Launching!

It wasn't left field. You came across rude. Its not about hurting feelings its about how its said. Or why even say it at all? I know all about the lt1 I don't need the information but thanks. you said it to bother me so nice job. im not an idiot.

Do you like it when people throw random rude comments at you? nope you sure didn't.

and lol at my modded car. The drag pack is nice yes. The cai and tb are mods for the future. they show no gains on a stock 6g. look it up. it runs how a stock 6g runs with a pack and a 250lb driver at Milan dragway. And that's a half second faster and 3.5 mph over a tuned and dragpack coyote who had 15 tries. Not sure how your results matter on a different track and day. you would have been 111-112 that night.

your trap speeds are irrelevant regardless of comparing DA. Tracks run different
It was a jab but it wasn't out of context. I guess y'all just make coyote jokes so much now that it doesn't register anymore. Lol
plus the comment I quoted was about the lt-1's superiority.
I feel for you though man. The crusty port/valve thing, well I think it sucks honestly.

I don't want to hear what mod does what. I've seen a couple people here try to explain the same reasoning and get bashed for it. Is it stock? nope. Did you change it? Yes. Drag Pack is the big one, all that awesome traction and rotating weight missing.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

yep. if you look at a close example....b headed 4v's secondary port has no fuel to keep it clean, and even without EGR, the port build up crap and gets clogged to the point its 3/4" around.

DI gas burners all do the same with miles. PCV oil and other byproducts clog the ports even in a few 10's of thousands of miles.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

catch cans help some, but they dont get everything. those HOT intake valves ARE going to collect vapor as solids. lift the intake manifold in 50k miles and you will see. clean the valves? lol you have to remove them. at 100k they will have measurable build up. all DI gas burners do it. like i mentioned with b heads. the ports will collect solids as well, not just the valves.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the common problems with direct injection engines is their tendency to develop carbon deposits.

Symptom: Misfire codes, stumbling and suspicious fuel trim numbers. On a scan tool, the engine may show a loss in volumetric efficiency. The driver may complain about a loss of power, poor fuel economy and hard starts.

Cause: Carbon deposits on the intake valves. Deposits cause the air to tumble into the combustion chamber, and this turbulence causes the air/fuel mixture to be unevenly distributed. When ignited, the flame front can be erratic, leave unburned fuel and create hot spots in the combustion chamber.

When the early direct-injection engines hit the three-year or 30,000-mile mark, some developed driveablity problems due to carbon buildup on the necks of the intake valves.

In the late ‘90s and early 2000s, TSBs related to carbon deposits on the valves were few and far between. There are three reasons why direct-injection engines are more prone to carbon deposits, one of which is unique to direct injection, while the remaining two are also problems for port fuel injection but are made worse by direct injection.

The main reason is that fuel and added detergents are not hitting the back of the intake valves. By injecting the fuel directly into the cylinder instead of at the back of the valve, the gasoline and detergents can’t clean the valve and port.

Second, leaner mixtures and higher combustion pressures can make the problem worse over time. A direct fuel injection motor produces more energy from a given amount of fuel and air than a port fuel injection engine. Today’s engines operate on a ragged edge between optimal efficiency and a misfire. There is not much room for error, like hot spots in the combustion chamber or a worn spark plug.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that power you are enjoying....its going to disappear in 30-50k miles. lol.

imagine the losses at 100k miles lol.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've read all about it.

Didn't say it clean the valves in those procedures. Likely the ports. I wasn't clear which area in my post. I thought I've seen certain additives before and after help clean the valves though. Maybe sea foam. It was noticeable

I will personally clean them by then. Heck I doubt I'll even make 30k miles before doing heads anyway.

Having to clean them every 5 years will not be an issue to me. I'm sure the coyote crowd at Milan is praying for it to be an issue though. Man was it ugly lol. And I'm only going to get faster. That was my first time out with the car and only my second time at the track

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 10-26-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure why any crowd would hope for engine issues for another crowd. That's just not a car enthusiast attitude at all.

Quick Reply: 15' FBO Brolander vs. stock A8 16' Goat Gen Camaro