Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LBO 16 SS goes 11.0@123

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
Wonder how long it's going to take for a good aftermarket head to come out then. Hopefully not too long like how the Trick Flow 2V head took. By that point most who were devoted to the 4.6 had some sort of power adder or a 4V swap correct me if i'm wrong.

Just from how it is stock there is a lot of untapped potential in the LT1. Comparing it to the Coyote is a little lopsided IMO because for the most part it's formulaic to get a 5.br0 to run consistently well without diving into the engine. Correct me if i'm wrong again but aren't still trying to "figure out" the 5th gen and how it should be cammed with the correct supporting mods?

Just unbiased BS feel free to roast me I got my flame suit on.
The victor I just linked to looks good. Think it's supposed to be coming out next few months iirc.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks sweet to me! Curious about cost though. Special headers and 400cfm heads.. Money money.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZNix
Looks sweet to me! Curious about cost though. Special headers and 400cfm heads.. Money money.
Yeah ***** ridiculous these days. I'm gonna stay bolt on for a while probably
Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
Wonder how long it's going to take for a good aftermarket head to come out then. Hopefully not too long like how the Trick Flow 2V head took. By that point most who were devoted to the 4.6 had some sort of power adder or a 4V swap correct me if i'm wrong.

Just from how it is stock there is a lot of untapped potential in the LT1. Comparing it to the Coyote is a little lopsided IMO because for the most part it's formulaic to get a 5.br0 to run consistently well without diving into the engine. Correct me if i'm wrong again but aren't still trying to "figure out" the 5th gen and how it should be cammed with the correct supporting mods?

Just unbiased BS feel free to roast me I got my flame suit on.
chevrolet designed the head with space for better ports. IMO cam it for what it will accept and get the best torque manifold.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Yeah ***** ridiculous these days. I'm gonna stay bolt on for a while probably
Agreed. Performance parts just keep getting more and more expensive.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pray
I can see how you would say the converter and clutch are the same type of mod. Labor wise I agree. Performance wise I don't think they are close. A converter can be worth half a second if done right. A clutch is still a clutch at the end of the day. I am not up on all the terms in here, LBO, MBO, FBO, it almost reminds me of the Supra days of BPU, BPU+++++++++++, APU. You had to know what + meant what. LOL.

I am glad your buddy is getting with Tim. He won't be disappointed at all. He is not going to find a better guy to do his set up.

How far out are you from Sanford. We need to get the cars together at some point. Next time I am heading to the track I will shoot you a PM.

And on to the FTW E85. I think I can get a 5 gal can for $70 at my buddy's place. Is it truly worth it to get my pump "85" pretty low and then add 5 gal of this stuff for the track? I can also get Renegade E85 up the road at $30 for a 5 gal can.

I also didn't notice the brake conversion on that Mustang. I know my guy dropped 150lbs on his V by doing a brake conversion. That is a worth while mod for a track car. I am not sure how my fat girl would like race brakes every day.

yeah i remember the Supra days... +++++++ etc.. it got crazy. I am in Gastonia.. so a little bit of a drive. Every now and then i try to make Rockingham trips for test and tune. Fayetteville is a solid 3hr drive for me.. so probably not many trips will be made that far away.

I can't really comment on FTW honestly... I only run pump E85 on my flex setup. It does fine... I'm not looking to break records or pay that much for fuel. I am fine with mid to low 11s boltons NA. I have plans to turbo the car, so not really trying to max out the current setup.

The rear brake conversions do save some weight. Aeroforce makes a nice light weight street/strip rotor/caliper setup for the S550 that saves quick a bit of rotational weight. It is on my list if I decide to keep the car... not really concerned about 15s in the rear, as 17s have gone 8.0s in the 1/4 so far on the S550s.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The victor I just linked to looks good. Think it's supposed to be coming out next few months iirc.
I haven't been doing the best job of keeping up with developments with the Sexgen or the S550. I think once the top end and DI gets sorted out we'll see a very very evil car in N/A form.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Yea there is a good shot of the front suspension/wheel area on that car. All tube and race breaks. About any time you see 15s on the front of late model cars they have 15s. Likely much lighter than claimed. Notice no shot of interior.

My bet is you run ftw, finish out the tune and do equivalent weight reduction and be right on his *** with everything else stock.

One of their heros picked up .4 on ftw.....or lost .4 goin back to e85. Depending on how you want to look at it.
RB550(the 10.4 car) has a BMR tubular kmember up front... not a huge change... yes it saves about 30lbs. The raceweight he states is the weight of the car. He has been up front and open about ALL of his mods and weight on his car. You can read his build thread on m6g if you choose.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you seen the upcoming edelbrock victor jr heads? What's your take on those? The geometry is changed and ports are moved custom headers are required. Kooks is doing the job.

They are also making an intake as well. Dual throttle body. Looks very expensive.

From what I've seen the lt1 is putting up better numbers than the ls3 with basic heads/cam 93 builds. 500 rwhp is very easy to achieve with even the mildest build and small cam. Even stock converter friendly. Which may be the route I go. The fueling issue is troublesome and pricey at this point. Yet another reason we aren't seeing a lot of super impressive builds.

Link to heads and manifold

http://www.lsxmag.com/features/sema-...ss-ram-intake/
heads and intake like that are approaching NASCAR territory head flow. Heads like that will support 800+
Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
RB550(the 10.4 car) has a BMR tubular kmember up front... not a huge change... yes it saves about 30lbs. The raceweight he states is the weight of the car. He has been up front and open about ALL of his mods and weight on his car. You can read his build thread on m6g if you choose.
3640 for just the car simply does not add up. Just a drag pack and low fuel would put him in that range. Not sure if it's a premium or whatnot but even at the heaviest range of 3800 lbs just a drag pack and low fuel would get him 3640.He has a carbon hood. Smaller brakes. K member. Removed rear exhaust. Removed seats. Lost weight from other exhaust components and other things list is pretty long.

That's weight with driver. It's got a good 2-300 lbs in weight reduction. Not crazy but 3640 for just the car is way off man. If he says it's 3640 for just the car it's simply not true. It doesn't add up.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes. Race weight includes the driver. So if you do the math you'll realize that at a similar weight to a c7, the bolt s550 is faster than a h/c c7. That's the progress the LT1 Has mad thus far.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Yes. Race weight includes the driver. So if you do the math you'll realize that at a similar weight to a c7, the bolt s550 is faster than a h/c c7. That's the progress the LT1 Has mad thus far.
Correct. That's one car at one track

I'm still very optimistic

Writings on the wall. Many issues been explained. It's gonna take some time
Old 12-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

By that time everyone else is going to be riding around in full interior 7 second coyote street cars.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sw07gt
By that time everyone else is going to be riding around in full interior 7 second coyote street cars.
Not sure

I don't have desire for that regardless. Probably solid 10s NA as far as I'll take it. Would like to keep the stock converter. Stock suspension. Stock brakes. I enjoy the quiet ride and the handling. The good mpg. I love this car.

I may even try a track with turns some time. How complete this car is is just what I want. You can have it all IMO.

I'm not gonna make a drag car out of a newer car any time soon. I'm just your average middle class guy.

A drag car would be cool though. Would probably be a 4th gen if I did it. Would still like to stay NA though. It's what I know and what I prefer.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me get my hands on a set of stock heads and I will see what I can do. I am just not sure there is a H/C market yet for these cars with the stinking labor cost to go that route. Might as well go FI. That is my plan and the heads would be free and I get the cam dirt cheap.

I have not read into the above heads at this point or any other but I am pretty sure that the VVT cams have to stay under .600 lift and most are in the .550 lift area. Some one please correct me if I am wrong. So we will need to focus all the air flow from .300 to .600. After that it just doesn't matter. This is a big *** runner from the factory as well. All the work will need to be in the valve seat, valve, and short turn. I highly doubt doing any real runner work will show much in that area.

I have done pretty will with all of my stock ported offerings in the past. I haven't really seen the aftermarket produce much better numbers for the build level I have been doing. My 272cc runner LS7 heads flow over 400cfm at .650 lift and have made 630rw. LS2/3's follow suit. If there seems to be a market for it maybe I will dive in and develop some ports.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
yeah i remember the Supra days... +++++++ etc.. it got crazy. I am in Gastonia.. so a little bit of a drive. Every now and then i try to make Rockingham trips for test and tune. Fayetteville is a solid 3hr drive for me.. so probably not many trips will be made that far away.

I can't really comment on FTW honestly... I only run pump E85 on my flex setup. It does fine... I'm not looking to break records or pay that much for fuel. I am fine with mid to low 11s boltons NA. I have plans to turbo the car, so not really trying to max out the current setup.

The rear brake conversions do save some weight. Aeroforce makes a nice light weight street/strip rotor/caliper setup for the S550 that saves quick a bit of rotational weight. It is on my list if I decide to keep the car... not really concerned about 15s in the rear, as 17s have gone 8.0s in the 1/4 so far on the S550s.
Yeah, that is a long drive bro. Guess we won't be hanging out much LOL. I do have some guys down there I have done some work for. Actually, I sold my V to a guy in the Charlotte area.

I plan to go FI as well so I really didn't want to put any money into the current set up. I actually didn't drop a dime into it that won't help the FI set up. I can just sell my manifold if need be. I really just want the car to be fast by my standards. I don't want the caveat of "it's fast for a ..... car". Or the old, "if I had my x on or in right now I would have beat them". I just want it to be fast all the time with no hassles.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me get my hands on a set of stock heads and I will see what I can do. I am just not sure there is a H/C market yet for these cars with the stinking labor cost to go that route. Might as well go FI. That is my plan and the heads would be free and I get the cam dirt cheap.

I have not read into the above heads at this point or any other but I am pretty sure that the VVT cams have to stay under .600 lift and most are in the .550 lift area. Some one please correct me if I am wrong. So we will need to focus all the air flow from .300 to .600. After that it just doesn't matter. This is a big *** runner from the factory as well. All the work will need to be in the valve seat, valve, and short turn. I highly doubt doing any real runner work will show much in that area.

I have done pretty will with all of my stock ported offerings in the past. I haven't really seen the aftermarket produce much better numbers for the build level I have been doing. My 272cc runner LS7 heads flow over 400cfm at .650 lift and have made 630rw. LS2/3's follow suit. If there seems to be a market for it maybe I will dive in and develop some ports.
Yeah they got vvt cams well into .600 lift and beyond.

Sv3 Texas speed is .645/.635. 235/239. 630 hp. They also include proper cam phaser tables

Others as well.

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3252-c...camaro-2016.aspx
Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do get ahold of stock heads, there is a great short side radius to work with out if the box. I wonder how much material is available to increase the port's taper starting at the valve. If it was me I would also fabricate stepped headers that match the exhaust ports exit angle. I know an over tapered port will choke worse than the stock port, but it's going to take ruining a head of two to get some port volume and slow things down from the stocker.

In modulars the floor is dead. Removing material the ruins them.

Raising the roof has to help. The down side is the engine will more closely match a LS lose some advantage in Torque. More head flow has to help.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they got vvt cams well into .600 lift and beyond.

Sv3 Texas speed is .645/.635. 235/239. 630 hp. They also include proper cam phaser tables

Others as well.

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3252-c...camaro-2016.aspx
why the hell would they sell cams that lift into a bad airflow envelope of the head?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by assasinator
why the hell would they sell cams that lift into a bad airflow envelope of the head?
Idk. Maybe the cam phasing and timing can work around it if done properly. Just guessing the numbers look good. But I'm not quite your level with engine building. Just guessing

Quick Reply: LBO 16 SS goes 11.0@123