Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LBO 16 SS goes 11.0@123

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016 | 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of good info, Pray. Enjoy your presence on here to shed light on the 6G mod game
Old 12-17-2016 | 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Lots of good info, Pray. Enjoy your presence on here to shed light on the 6G mod game
​​​​​​​Thank you, I appreciate that. I don't have much time to check in or post so I have to do the shot gun blasts when I have time. I will keep this updated as I figure things out. It just takes me a while to get to my own car.
Old 12-17-2016 | 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pray
Thank you, I appreciate that. I don't have much time to check in or post so I have to do the shot gun blasts when I have time. I will keep this updated as I figure things out. It just takes me a while to get to my own car.
Keep reporting back! I'm interested in the 6G but didn't want to purchase a first model year of a GM product (for obvious reasons). So far they are putting up some pretty decent numbers with bolt ons. Curious to see some 10s
Old 12-17-2016 | 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me get my hands on a set of stock heads and I will see what I can do. I am just not sure there is a H/C market yet for these cars with the stinking labor cost to go that route. Might as well go FI. That is my plan and the heads would be free and I get the cam dirt cheap.

I have not read into the above heads at this point or any other but I am pretty sure that the VVT cams have to stay under .600 lift and most are in the .550 lift area. Some one please correct me if I am wrong. So we will need to focus all the air flow from .300 to .600. After that it just doesn't matter. This is a big *** runner from the factory as well. All the work will need to be in the valve seat, valve, and short turn. I highly doubt doing any real runner work will show much in that area.

I have done pretty will with all of my stock ported offerings in the past. I haven't really seen the aftermarket produce much better numbers for the build level I have been doing. My 272cc runner LS7 heads flow over 400cfm at .650 lift and have made 630rw. LS2/3's follow suit. If there seems to be a market for it maybe I will dive in and develop some ports.

I was recently reading up on this myself...it seems the exhaust port is weak on the LT1/LT4 head. On the intake side, mid lift low is decent, comparable to an LS3/9 head but the flow stalls about .500" on a 4.060" bore. The exhaust ports seems to flow about 30-40 cfm less then an LS head.

Lingenfelter has some nice before/after flow charts on their website.

I'm kind of surprised by this, I would have thought with the power that cammed LT1s are making that the heads would be pretty good..apparently not...same thing goes for the LT1 intake manifold..
Old 12-17-2016 | 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I was recently reading up on this myself...it seems the exhaust port is weak on the LT1/LT4 head. On the intake side, mid lift low is decent, comparable to an LS3/9 head but the flow stalls about .500" on a 4.060" bore. The exhaust ports seems to flow about 30-40 cfm less then an LS head.

Lingenfelter has some nice before/after flow charts on their website.

I'm kind of surprised by this, I would have thought with the power that cammed LT1s are making that the heads would be pretty good..apparently not...same thing goes for the LT1 intake manifold..
Stock the heads don't seem so great. We will just have to see how they do on the bench. In the past it really hasn't been that the GM exhaust ports them selves were all that bad. The valve jobs and valve guides were huge hindrances. I am hoping it is the same with theses heads. I think it is the small cam with VVT and the big old head runner that is actually working here. But for a 305 runner the stock flow sucks.

I wouldn't say the IM's are all that bad once they are ported. I currently have both the pump gas bolt on C7 record (I built, ported, tuned, and drove the car. It belonged to a friend though) and the bolt on Camaro records with my ported IM. Maybe they haven't updated the CF C7 list but I had it last I checked. I am going to try to max effort my stock IM as soon as I get a breather to see if there is anything left there.

BTW, I love your Z. That is the exact color scheme I would go with.
Old 12-18-2016 | 10:35 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

I like the lt1 and you should too
Old 12-19-2016 | 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

LT1 seems like it likes a ported MSD intake

Last edited by Mike Morris; 12-19-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2016 | 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Because the LT1 heads are reversed ports. They changed everything that was not broken for no good reason.
Old 12-21-2016 | 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
LT1 seems like it likes a ported MSD intake
They don't seem to like the stock MSD. I haven't ported on yet but I don't think it is going to help much. Check this out.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477735

My next step is going to be rear cat delete and dual 3" cut outs pre AFM valves. I will see what that does. Then I am going to throw some Kooks headers and cats on.
Old 12-21-2016 | 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

We picked up a lot here with a ported one on a bunch of Vettes even on pump. Stock they leave a lot to be desired.
Old 12-21-2016 | 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is good info. I will get my hands on one and see what I can do with it. I only got a minute to glance into an oily one in a darkish room.
Old 12-21-2016 | 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I bet on a cammed car with some rpm they will really work well
Old 12-21-2016 | 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple pages in I post up a graph from a cam car. The MSD still lost but everywhere this time. That car needs to be gone though in all fairness. I think the cam was ground wrong or is a tooth off retarded.
Old 12-21-2016 | 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

That is really odd.
Old 12-21-2016 | 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

. But for a 305 runner the stock flow sucks.

Ih.
I'm not telling you anything but the port volume is deceptive considering the length of the port from the opening to the valve head.

The cross section is the secret to these heads. IMO most anything done will be at the cost of low lift flow and torque.

The temptation is to turn those heads into LS clones. Let us know where the velocity choke point is. You know 2 degrees of taper is ideal for the beat flow coefficient.

You know there is an old way to improve flow without getting into the runner is scratching across the short side deeply to slow down the airflow and keeping it laminar.
Old 12-21-2016 | 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I bet on a cammed car with some rpm they will really work well
Rpm is the issue man. The port's airflow stacks up. More duration is going to ruin torque. Everything that focuses on rpm will fail with stock heads.

It's going to take getting rid of the port choke point to do that.

The engine design is literally perfect. I stick with the engine need a first order harmonic tunnel ram. I bet my life the engine would pick up 50 lb-ft with on designed for the perfect rpm max torque point. Other Bolton's will simply pick up more than that.

Pop the heads, port them correctly, the mill them to raise the CR to use only E85.
Old 12-22-2016 | 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't plan on touching the runner. My plan is valve back cut angles, valve seat angles and margins, bowl, valve guide, and short turn shape and width. Same for the exhaust but I think the exhaust will need some "short" wall work for sure.

That is a good point on cross section vs. length. I know the port is 1.580" wide or so. I can't remember the height off the top of my head. I have all the stock cross sections in my note book.
Old 12-22-2016 | 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by assasinator
Rpm is the issue man. The port's airflow stacks up. More duration is going to ruin torque. Everything that focuses on rpm will fail with stock heads.

It's going to take getting rid of the port choke point to do that.

The engine design is literally perfect. I stick with the engine need a first order harmonic tunnel ram. I bet my life the engine would pick up 50 lb-ft with on designed for the perfect rpm max torque point. Other Bolton's will simply pick up more than that.

Pop the heads, port them correctly, the mill them to raise the CR to use only E85.
What kind of height and size are you thinking a properly done tunnel ram would end up being? Any way it would fit under a stock hood?
Old 12-22-2016 | 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Kind of odd to see technical discussion in this section.
Old 12-22-2016 | 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Kind of odd to see technical discussion in this section.
Agreed. Lot of LS guys dont have much to talk about in this category.

Quick Reply: LBO 16 SS goes 11.0@123