Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed a WRX STI...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004 | 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Killed a WRX STI...sort of

Ok..so I am at a red light minding my own business just listening to the radio when a very clean, debadged WRX STI pulls up alongside me. I had no intentions on even playing with this guy becasue we were at a very highly patrolled intersection on a four lane hwy that leads to a very rural area. Anyway the light turns green and this guys LEAPS through the intersection. He must have been bouncing the rev limiter and I just didnt hear it because I had the window up and the radio up loud, but I have never see one launch like this. I was truly impressed so I gave chase. We met at the next light, which is at a much less popluar intersection and basically in the middle of nowhere, I had to get behind him because the right lane was already occupied. The light turns green and he immediatley puts about 5-7 cars on me (keep in mind that he already had a head start) and continues to pull. I drop the hammer and begin to reel him in, but not as easy as I thought I would. I pulled along side of him at 115 MPH and gave him a wave and put about a car on him then shut down. He ran like a little schoolgirl until he was out of sight...but he got my attention...

Not really a kill but I figured that I royally pissed him off considering I reeled him in while he was accelerating and then I shut down just to prove my point (and to avoid the POPO!)

Have a great day!!
Old 07-08-2004 | 01:35 PM
STF Veteran

Good rundown, way to corral the rice.
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still have yet to raced a STI or Evo. There are a few were i live, i guess they are too scared or something when they hear my car at WOT.
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

DONT GO FROM A DIG!! Even with your host of mods they will leave you waiting to run them down...thats where we have them. Can you say "Oops, Out of Boost?"

To all STI's - "Try doing it without forced induction!!"
Old 07-08-2004 | 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never raced an STI, but I've raced three Evo's and won. The first was on the highway, three Asian kids, trying to mess around with me, staying next to me, then jumping ahead, falling back, jumping again, etc. I just said the hell with it, honked three times, we both hit it, and that car disappeared further and further into my rearview. I saw him after we both got off at the same exit...he floored at a green light and I reeled him in again...fun.
#2: I was hanging out at the usual racing spot, the first night my buddy took out his '01 Z...just like mine but w/ 3.23's (I have 2.73's). He was cruising behind me, this silver Evo was next to me. I got on it @ my sweet spot (35), for the hell of it and I didn't even realize the Evo did too until I heard the turbos. I figured it wasn't fair, given that I'd jumped the gun, so we honked and went from 35 and I SPANKED him, with my buddy just behind me.
#3. Same place. Red Evo. From a dig, guy f's up his launch royally and I just beat him...nothing special.
I want to try an STI though.
Old 07-09-2004 | 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

I just got my Sti about 2 months ago.....general observations:

Outta the hole....not much (if anything) can touch it....from light to light it's a BEAST.

From a 60+ roll....not so good.

In general, most muscle will lose horribly to the crazy AWD and relatively quick spool from a dig to about 80mph....but the AWD drivetrain power loss above 80mph is absolutely sick
Old 07-09-2004 | 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

but the AWD drivetrain power loss above 80mph is absolutely sick
Yea..at 115 I still had plently left and I think he was trying his hardest to jump but couldnt...God I love the LS1....
Old 07-09-2004 | 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Don't get me wrong....they still have "some" top end..... but no where near that of the ls1. (thats the only thing i miss about the vette - lotsa good stuff on the big end )

Sti=flying brick
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by BigKevC5
I just got my Sti about 2 months ago.....general observations:

Outta the hole....not much (if anything) can touch it....from light to light it's a BEAST.

From a 60+ roll....not so good.

In general, most muscle will lose horribly to the crazy AWD and relatively quick spool from a dig to about 80mph....but the AWD drivetrain power loss above 80mph is absolutely sick
Wow - I have not posted on this site in a long time.

I can pretty much agree with this observation - the car is a hole shot vehicle, and will leave even very heavily modded vehicles in the dust from a stop. But after 70 MPH or so, it is No top end at all.

STIs are about $2000 in mods from running high 11s, but beyond that it becomes pretty expensive to go quicker. No matter what you do, there is no replacement for displacement because you can only boost so high. And the wings are indeed annoying - I have still not gotten the one off of my car yet.
Old 07-12-2004 | 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WeatherGuy
Wow - I have not posted on this site in a long time.

I can pretty much agree with this observation - the car is a hole shot vehicle, and will leave even very heavily modded vehicles in the dust from a stop. But after 70 MPH or so, it is No top end at all.

STIs are about $2000 in mods from running high 11s, but beyond that it becomes pretty expensive to go quicker. No matter what you do, there is no replacement for displacement because you can only boost so high. And the wings are indeed annoying - I have still not gotten the one off of my car yet.
You should advertise for a trunk swap over in the WRX forums. I know several Sti owners who have swapped trunks with a WRX owner.
Old 07-12-2004 | 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lnuxhakr
To all LS1's - "Try doing it without 4 extra cylinders!!"

Seriously, they come built from the factory like that. Would you entertain a bet that said "Run that same 1/4 time on half your engine?" I'd hope not, because it sounds ******* stupid.
Old 07-12-2004 | 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

To all LS1's - "Try doing it without 4 extra cylinders!!"

Buy 8 cylinders to begin with
Old 07-12-2004 | 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Buy a vehicle with forced induction to begin with.
Old 07-12-2004 | 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Hate Hearing This Out The Hole **** Nothing Can Touch A Sti Or Wrx, Lancer , Bullshit, I Havent Seen Many Come Close To Me Out The Hole, **** It Must Be The M6 Guys That Have A Problem Because My A4 Cuts High 1.5s On Slicks And Mid To High 1.60s On Drag Radial. I Dont Have A Problem With These All Wheel Drive Guys , I Can Get Out On Them So Fast They Think I Have All Wheel Drive, Lol

Yea Ok And To All The 4wheel Drive Guys Try Doing It With 2 Wheel Drive, Huh Can You Say Not , And Sti Cost 30plus Thousand Dollars , What Load Of **** For 13 Seconds, They Should Stick To Ralley Racing Where They Are Good.

Ok I Feel Better Know That I Vented Alittle.

Last edited by boomcase; 07-12-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2004 | 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by boomcase
Ok I Feel Better Know That I Vented Alittle.
Somehow I feel dumber after reading your venting.

Do it with 2 wheels? I haven't heard that one before.

Why don't you do it with...1 wheel?!
Old 07-12-2004 | 05:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

DONT GO FROM A DIG!! Even with your host of mods they will leave you waiting to run them down...thats where we have them. Can you say "Oops, Out of Boost?"

I'd go from a dig.

STi is what it is. It's a great package. I like 'em [wing deleted].
Old 07-12-2004 | 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by apathy
Somehow I feel dumber after reading your venting.

Do it with 2 wheels? I haven't heard that one before.

Why don't you do it with...1 wheel?!
To all LS1's - "Try doing it without 4 extra cylinders!!" That was your idiot response to someone.
Hey shitbrick(j/K) does a worn out posi that only spins one wheel count as only one wheel, if so i can still cut 1.6 60ft if you know what i mean.

Why dont you shutup and suck........

Talk **** with what , what do you own.

blah blah blah, just like all the other all wheel drive guys that think there cars are fast. I know a few guys that have fast all wheel drive cars and they have a ton of money into them , the guys at proven performance have some fast *** dsm cars and im not talking 12s cars either . I respect the fast guys cause they dont have to talk , there car speaks for themselves.

well lets see whos dumber , 30plus thousand to go 13s and wait ,oh ok thats right brand new f body used to cost 22, to 24thou to go what 13s if i remember correctly, and im the dummy. go break an axle or something with your ultra fast car., so you think ; Go do a burnt out in the sand and enjoy yourself NUB (J/K) but before you talk you should have something to back up your mouth, you know what I mean .

Im getting fired up now , I may need to race someone this weekend

Last edited by boomcase; 07-12-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2004 | 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

but before you talk you should have something to back up your mouth, you know what I mean .

Old 07-12-2004 | 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

I never got when ricers say "Yeah try doing it with out a extra 4 cylinders!" are we supposed to pity you or something?

None the less, it would have been great to see a supercharger come from the factory like those crazy 03 Cobra's. Nice kill, I beat a STi up here, I haven't raced an Evo though, it sucks losing almost a second, compared to forced inductions half a second up here in Colorado. I won't complain though, I have four extra cylinders