Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

EVO VS LS1 (stock)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apathy
Is that dumber than buying a 14 second LS1?

The world may never know.

having clogged cats is gonna make anyone run like crap.

and i wasnt aware that the EVO was a road course/track champ. the guy i know that has one says it handles like a tank. in his opinion. and buying one for 30k+ doesnt appeal to me. my slightly used fbody suits me fine. and i think an SS or TA with the 1LE susp. could easily outhandle and out accelerate the AWD EVO-T. T=tank, thats what mario calls his! but i guess ignorance is bliss. if ignorance means not championing a ricer on an FBODY forum, call me blissful!

LMFAO
Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess 3263 curb weight .95G on the skidpad and 13.4 1/4 mile out of the box means it's a tank then it's a tank.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
i guess 3263 curb weight .95G on the skidpad and 13.4 1/4 mile out of the box means it's a tank then it's a tank.
im just messing with you man. this stuff im saying is coming from a guy who has one. hes a pretty good driver too, used to drive the **** out of a fox body. he has had nothing but trouble with it, and the best 1/4 mile he has ran is a 14.0. and he launches pretty damn good too.
the evo is just another car ive seen at the track thats supposed to run low 13s, but doesnt. thats from my spectator experience. oh and 69YENKO, mario isnt the guy you raced.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
im just messing with you man. this stuff im saying is coming from a guy who has one. hes a pretty good driver too, used to drive the **** out of a fox body. he has had nothing but trouble with it, and the best 1/4 mile he has ran is a 14.0. and he launches pretty damn good too.
the evo is just another car ive seen at the track thats supposed to run low 13s, but doesnt. thats from my spectator experience. oh and 69YENKO, mario isnt the guy you raced.

i dont seee why some people get such poor times. I went to the track never having launched an AWD car, or a turbo car much less, and pulled a 1.7 60 foot on my first time and ran 12.9x

ah well, my main point is i wish people would quit with the ricer comments, cause just cause i drive an evo doesnt mean im a ricer. I just enjoy the car.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

EvilDylan— You make a good point about all of us being enthusiasts, but that's
the way it's going to be as long as one set of people favor a make/model
over another.

C5 drivers like myself aren't even safe from this crowd!

[Edit: BTW, import drivers are the ones who usually challenge me on the street.]
Old 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GA_Driver

C5 drivers like myself aren't even safe from this crowd!

you bet your *** youre not!
just kidding, vettes are bad ***.

and i dont know what to say about the times people run in those things. ive seen a few,maybe 7, at different tracks and they were all running in the 13.8-14.2 range. i think its safe to assume they were all stock. i did see a link to an evo forum,on Z28.com i think, a while back, where the evo guys were talking about getting "dead" cars from the factory. they were saying that cars being put on the dyno were scoring like 50-75hp less than they should have. they didnt say if this was a common thing or not.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Teching In

hm i havent read much of that. I do notice that several drivers seem to get slow times out of their evo. One thing that can make several tenths of a difference is jsut getting your 1-2 shift down. I saw a Galant Vr-4 go from 12.1x to 11.9x jsut by changing drivers, and you could see the massive difference in the 1-2 shift. the AWD makes such a jerky motion i guess its hard for some people to get a smoooth shift. Anyways, my evo seemed alright from the factory.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

hm i havent read much of that. I do notice that several drivers seem to get slow times out of their evo. One thing that can make several tenths of a difference is jsut getting your 1-2 shift down. I saw a Galant Vr-4 go from 12.1x to 11.9x jsut by changing drivers, and you could see the massive difference in the 1-2 shift. the AWD makes such a jerky motion i guess its hard for some people to get a smoooth shift. Anyways, my evo seemed alright from the factory.
i was thinking the whole post was B.S. until i realized it was on an evo forum. i would be pretty interested to hear the complete story on "dead" cars, if there is one. never experienced, but ive been told its alot harder to launch an AWD car properly.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
i was thinking the whole post was B.S. until i realized it was on an evo forum. i would be pretty interested to hear the complete story on "dead" cars, if there is one. never experienced, but ive been told its alot harder to launch an AWD car properly.

well it's like this. If you bog, you're screwed. you may as well take 5 or more thenths off your time because you are trying to get all 4 wheels going AND waiting for the turbo to spool. So you have to launch all out or you bog and your time will suffer badly.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

well if you are kidding, then my apolgies.

I understand that you are on an LS1 board, but would it kill anyone to actually respect ALL forms of automotive enthusiasm? whether it be import or domestic. I mean ive been hanging around here a bit and i see the posts that call EVO owners ricers etc...no real reasons to call them ricers. Just doing it out of hate or spite, whatever the reason. No real legitamte reason behind it. Because i drive an import doesnt mean im a ricer. I have owed chevy's also. suprisingly never a ford though.
I was playin,
I may call your car a rice burner, but i wont call you a ricer. when you add that 3FT wing and the fart can exhaust then your a ricer. I try to be open minded about things and not make judgement. I can respect that you have a nice 30,000$ car. I paid 15,000 for mine but its used. Incase you guys didn't notice im in West Texas and our track sucks ***. even the brad new EVO ran a 14.0 the other guy ran a 14.2 cut me some slack. I think its funny how the only 2 guys that have said anything about my times dont even have f-bodys.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:41 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
... I think its funny how the only 2 guys that have said anything about my times dont even have f-bodys..
I'll step in and say 14's in your F-bod sucks unless you're at 4000' elevation.

I ran high 13.9 first time out - that sucked ***. Whittled it down to low 13's with some practice.

Mods and more practice have me in the 11's now.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:45 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Mods and more practice have me in the 11's now.
Emphasis on the mods.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:47 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Emphasis on the mods.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I'll step in and say 14's in your F-bod sucks unless you're at 4000' elevation.
we are at about 2000ft elevation. and all his runs were done with clogged cats. mine, every run i made i improved by a couple of hundredths, with 13.92 being my final. i ran it 8 times and that was enough ragging on my car for me. my 60' times were 2.2s and 2.3s. i think i coulda done noticeably better with better tires. ive never even heard of sumitomos, and mine definately dont bite for shat! oh, and our track sux! its a run down cracking, pitted up old emergency landing strip.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure it being over 85degs with around 65% humidity had somthing to do with it.
for real our tracks, but its a track non the less. I know people that have gone up to dallas and run 3-4 tenths quicker.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

2.2 and 2.3 60's aren't helping anyone's cause either.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

I understand that you are on an LS1 board, but would it kill anyone to actually respect ALL forms of automotive enthusiasm?
Yes. Yes it would.
whether it be import or domestic. I mean ive been hanging around here a bit and i see the posts that call EVO owners ricers etc...no real reasons to call them ricers.
No, we just laugh when they call us out and lose. Usually not gracefully.
Just doing it out of hate or spite, whatever the reason. No real legitamte reason behind it. Because i drive an import doesnt mean im a ricer. I have owed chevy's also. suprisingly never a ford though.
Good for you. However, most of these car purchasers that we run into are late teens/early twenties and seem to think that a modded econobox can run circles around domestic displacement. It simply isn't true. The seriously modified import victories, while legitimate and deserving of respect, are just the exception rather than the rule.
Just because I have lost to a TT Supra in the past does not mean that I will lose to a Camry with a fart can and cold air. Nor would I attempt to call out Pat Mucie (SP?) in his Mustang with my car, just because he lost to a Camaro once or twice.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
I think its funny how the only 2 guys that have said anything about my times dont even have f-bodys.
Well, FYI frey51 said something about it too, and he does own an LS1. However, I wasn't aware I had to own an LS1 to tell you that running a 14 second ET in one is shitty.

You can talk humidity, altitude, temperature all you want. Lets see your timeslip and that 60'. I'm willing to bet it sucks ******* ***.

And mhulslan...late teens-early twenties? Those are pretty pricey cars for youngins. Probably daddy's money, which means they are probably spoiled, which points to the real problem. I know several Evo owners around here who are in their 30s.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Well, here it is:
R/T............ .546
60'............. 2.181
1/8............ 9.092
MPH........... 80.29
1000.......... 11.740
1/4............ 14.001
MPH........... 99.52
Old 08-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Clogged cats can be a total hassle. I had the cat clog when I was driving my 94 V6 Camaro (since traded in for the 02 Z28). I guess the thing only had one cat, and after only a few minutes of being on, it was damn near impossible to keep the motor running, let alone get any power out of it. If your cat was clogged (or nearly clogged) you may have had the near equivalent of a four cylinder motor, since one entire bank of cylinders was having trouble getting air out, which leads to even more trouble getting air in, which can render that bank near useless. Just my $.02
I don't even know what my Z runs, there's no tracks anywhere near here, and between work and school, I hardly get a day off. And when I do, I'm so exhausted that I tend to sleep late rather than drive half way across NC to get to a track.

Quick Reply: EVO VS LS1 (stock)