Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So I got my first ride in a lightly modded '03 Cobra...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AthensLS1
This Trex cam works without any cutting of the pistons? I don't remember the specs on it, but I remember that it's big.
Not needed. Not to mention to run the same times and trap the same as an 03-04 Cobra you don't need near the HP. My friends 419 rwhp Z28, traps over 118 and runs mid to low 11's.

oh yea, cam only. M6

Bye Bye slowbra.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King02SS
Could do cam only. Do a t-rex and you won't even need heads. Or tsp's "magic stick". That alone should be easy 11s on stock suspension with some drag radials. You'll need a nasty stall and some gears though. I would just go with like a 3500 stall and spray a 150 shot if it was me. Geez I'm tired and bored can you tell lol.
That's the way i went.
SS4000 stall/150 shot/Long tubes/Borla/Predator,all in my daily driver.
Great from a dig and in its power band at almost any mph .
I have a itchy button finger to boot.
I have limited runs with 03/04 Cobras,but the few i have run i did manage to run away from them with little trouble.
I did not know any of them personally so all i could do is guess at the mods,but i really would like to run with my bud Unit213 . Just so i know the car and driver and can get good runs in with no hurt feelings towards the outcome. I think Dan will take me,but should be close to a drivers race(traction).
Maybe before the end of the season i can find the time to make a trip to see ya Dan. If it looks good i will pm you to set it up.(I know i said that a while ago,still want to,just have not made the time )
Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
That's the way i went.
SS4000 stall/150 shot/Long tubes/Borla/Predator,all in my daily driver.
Great from a dig and in its power band at almost any mph .
I have limited runs with 03/04 Cobras,but the few i have run i did manage to run away from them with little trouble.
I did not know any of them personally so all i could do is guess at the mods,but i really would like to run with my bud Unit213 . Just so i know the car and driver and can get good runs in with no hurt feelings towards the outcome. I think Dan will take me,but should be close to a drivers race(traction).
Maybe before the end of the season i can find the time to make a trip to see ya Dan. If it looks good i will pm you to set it up.(I know i said that a while ago,still want to,just have not made the time )
Dave
I drive out to Chicago sometimes. Maybe you could shoot down 131 and we could do it on '94?

For you guys talking about heat soak, I never loose more than 1mph even after 3 or 4 hotlaps runs.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think thats fast.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait till he gets a kennebell Itll scare u shitless
Old 09-06-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThackerSS
Not needed. Not to mention to run the same times and trap the same as an 03-04 Cobra you don't need near the HP. My friends 419 rwhp Z28, traps over 118 and runs mid to low 11's.

oh yea, cam only. M6

Bye Bye slowbra.
My uncle has a turbo BBC nova that runs easy 8s. Bye bye you. You're so easy to taunt Cobras, what are you running? Everybody's got a friend with a fast car, nowadays.

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
Itchy "button" finger? Sounds like somebody's been watch a lot of FnF lately...
Old 09-06-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DD966
Are you trying to tell me that for $5000+/- I can't bolt-on a kick-***, 500+hp, supercharger? Now who's being unrealistic?
Absolutely. Good luck running 500+ horsepower with boost on stock LS1 pistons without modifying your fuel system. I'd be surprised if your motor lasted more than a week. High compression + boost + weak hyper pistons = dead motor. Thank you, drive through.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by enisguy
Absolutely. Good luck running 500+ horsepower with boost on stock LS1 pistons without modifying your fuel system. I'd be surprised if your motor lasted more than a week. High compression + boost + weak hyper pistons = dead motor. Thank you, drive through.
An ati with an intercooler could make 500+ at the fly but wheel horsepower would be pushing it without upgrading the injectors fuel rails and/or fuel pump. If it was me I would also throw in some forged internals and new sleeves. Plus it would be nice to get some polished and ported stage 2 ls6 heads or 6.0l heads with it. Alot of work but sure would be a ton of fun lol. Hey redss are you on stock internals and did you notice any trouble finding a big enough window for the spray with your 4000 stall? Because I'm on a 4000 stall now and was hoping to push a 150 shot soon. Just curious if you've had any trouble with that big of a shot on the stock internals and heads or if the 4000 stall was too high for spray.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

My uncle has a turbo BBC nova that runs easy 8s. Bye bye you. You're so easy to taunt Cobras, what are you running? Everybody's got a friend with a fast car, nowadays.

Itchy "button" finger? Sounds like somebody's been watch a lot of FnF lately...
He posts here

I was simply stating how it takes less HP to outrun a Cobra. 450rwhp running low 12's isn't impressive.... how can you not agree?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

arent fbodys in the 10's or low 11's with 450 rwhp???????????????
Old 09-06-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would rather build an LS1 than a Cobra, personally. The car itself is a whole lot cheaper. However, Cobras are awesome cars, and I can't stand it when I see people on the board try and cheapen what kind of cars they are by using ghei excuses like "Well slap a blower on an LS1 and see what happens"... that **** pisses me off. Give credit where it's due... end rant.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I would rather build an LS1 than a Cobra, personally. The car itself is a whole lot cheaper. However, Cobras are awesome cars, and I can't stand it when I see people on the board try and cheapen what kind of cars they are by using ghei excuses like "Well slap a blower on an LS1 and see what happens"... that **** pisses me off. Give credit where it's due... end rant.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it would be koo to see gm slap a blower on a ls2 from the factory.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King02SS
An ati with an intercooler could make 500+ at the fly but wheel horsepower would be pushing it without upgrading the injectors fuel rails and/or fuel pump. If it was me I would also throw in some forged internals and new sleeves. Plus it would be nice to get some polished and ported stage 2 ls6 heads or 6.0l heads with it. Alot of work but sure would be a ton of fun lol. Hey redss are you on stock internals and did you notice any trouble finding a big enough window for the spray with your 4000 stall? Because I'm on a 4000 stall now and was hoping to push a 150 shot soon. Just curious if you've had any trouble with that big of a shot on the stock internals and heads or if the 4000 stall was too high for spray.
Stock internals/stock rear end/gears,only trans and exhaust are done up real nice. I used to run a Vig 3600,it stalled at 4200 on the motor and 5000-5200 on the bottle. It went 11.46@119 with a 1.54 60ft on a 150 shot and E/T's.
But the SS4000 stalls about 3800 on motor and 4100-4200 on the spray-it went 11.62@117 spinning a 1.62 on Drag radials and a 75 shot. No troubles what so ever with this stall and spray. I also picked up .5 on the motor. 12.7-12.2/ 107 mph to 110. Much happier car with the SS4000. Love the 3:23 gears too. Now just need to get a tune.....
But more on topic-i love the Cobras too. I just have not been beaten(YET) by 1. Everybody loses from time to time,it just has not happened yet.
Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

330 rwhp will propel a vette to consistant 12.1s at 115+ mph. There are many c5 ls1s running over 500 rwhp w/ stock longblock w/ 42# injectors and stock rails/pump.

Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

End rant/whine? I sold my '89 Formula (LT1, 80,000 miles) for $4,200. $6000 later he's got a supercharger & nitrous. This thing is sick . Yes he's upgraded the fuel system, yahda,yahda,yahda... but I hope you see my point - which was - save your money and upgrade your own ride. You won't envy another's.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Everybody's got a friend with a fast car, nowadays.

Isnt that the truth..

Cobras are sweet .But for the cost of a ls1 or gt you can mod either one and make it faster and not have the insurance tag to go with it..The run slower in the 1/4 because of weight and what most guys dont know is trying to get a IRS to hook..If it hooks to much BOOM say bye bye axle,if it wheel hops say bye bye axle..So it takes some getting use to at the track..

Cobras get heat soaked blowers because the water to water cooler is SMALL .And heats up after a few passes..
Old 09-06-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DD966
End rant/whine? I sold my '89 Formula (LT1, 80,000 miles) for $4,200. $6000 later he's got a supercharger & nitrous. This thing is sick . Yes he's upgraded the fuel system, yahda,yahda,yahda... but I hope you see my point - which was - save your money and upgrade your own ride. You won't envy another's.
1. How the hell was that a whine?
2. Why the hell would you swap an LT1 into an '89 Formula? What's the benefit?

The motor will not last on the stock shortblock. Dumping that much fuel into the motor will not save it forever. Boost and a 10.4:1 compression simply do not mix, I don't care what planet you're from. If you knew **** about building F/I cars, you would know this. It's also a matter of reliability. The base cost of a Cobra is it's major down point, but other than that they're awesome cars. You'd be hard pressed to find another car that'd put down 500rwhp with only 2 grand in mods and easily stand up and last 100k+ miles at that power level. I'd give your old car no more than another 20k miles. All it takes is one problem, one part to take a **** and **** up the A/F ratio, causing your fuel system to not get enough gas into the motor under boost to drop one (or more) of the stock hyper LT1 pistons.

Save your money? Envy anothers' ride? What the hell are you talking about, and how does this even apply to me? I've dumped a ton of money into my car. My point was that '03/'04 Cobras are excellent cars, and that a lot of people just hate on them any way they can because they're either not as fast as them, or they're jealous of the great power per dollar mod ratio.

I dunno what you thought I meant, but I thought I made my opinion pretty clear

Originally Posted by Lswonder
Well it would be koo to see gm slap a blower on a ls2 from the factory.
Definitely would be awesome. They were talking about a twin turbo LS7 in the "Blue Devil" project that would be rated close to 650 bhp. THAT would be awesome to see.

Last edited by enisguy; 09-06-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=enisguy.
I dunno what you thought I meant, but I thought I made my opinion pretty clear
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we are not on the same page. Your point (I understand now) is that the 03+ Cobra is an great car (no disagreement here). Maybe you get pissed a little too easily.

My point is: The original poster was talking about buying a Cobra. I basically told that his money would be better spent upgrading his T/A.

BTW: my ex-Formula came with an LT1. I have raced both (Cobra & LT1 Supercharged Formula). I'd rather have the Formula. And... I bet the Formula has another 80,000 in her, especially the way I took care of the first 80,000.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The motor will not last on the stock shortblock. Dumping that much fuel into the motor will not save it forever. Boost and a 10.4:1 compression simply do not mix
that may have been true years ago but with todays techonology and tuning capabilities, its been done time and time again.

Dave