Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ouch. . .is there any way a miata can be fast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Miata's are slower than a drunk snail. They are like little cutesy toys for old people and young girls. The only reason the one is fast is b/c you put one of our motors in it lol! And when you did that, out the door when that perfect 50/50 weight distribution you speak of!
The weight distribution is still perfect. Gained a bit weight in the front with the slightly heavier LS1 (aluminum V8 vs iron 4 banger). The rear also gained same weight with the addition of a tbird rear end and fatter tires. The car was carefully balanced and every addition weighed.

BTW, they are still fast with Superchargers and Turbos. They don't need an LS1. I did the LS1 because it was a hard conversion and a challenge to fit a big motor in a small car. Not because I couldn't build a fast S/C Miata.

Don't make this personal. I own GMs and Fords too. I prefer not to get stuck on any one car manufacturer.

Sam.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Warbird
Have any hp #'s or track times?? Sweet setup you've got there.
No???
Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Miata's are slower than a drunk snail. They are like little cutesy toys for old people and young girls. The only reason the one is fast is b/c you put one of our motors in it lol! And when you did that, out the door when that perfect 50/50 weight distribution you speak of!

Strictly a matter of opinion.

Anyways, I know some guys with a turbo miata making over 300 to the wheels. I'm sure they are fun cars to drive.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by samgm2
The weight distribution is still perfect. Gained a bit weight in the front with the slightly heavier LS1 (aluminum V8 vs iron 4 banger). The rear also gained same weight with the addition of a tbird rear end and fatter tires. The car was carefully balanced and every addition weighed.

BTW, they are still fast with Superchargers and Turbos. They don't need an LS1. I did the LS1 because it was a hard conversion and a challenge to fit a big motor in a small car. Not because I couldn't build a fast S/C Miata.

Don't make this personal. I own GMs and Fords too. I prefer not to get stuck on any one car manufacturer.

Sam.
Ok well I can certainly respect the work you did, I am just making the point that miata's are not typically badass or fast cars so to speak. You can supercharge/turbocharge and engine swap anything to make it fast. I think cars give off certain images and whenever I see a miata I always think little slow old man/young girl "sporty" car. And all those little cars handle well, I'll give them that. Of course super/turbocharging ior engine swapping one would make for a damn fun sleeper.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

No???

Sorry, no. This particular LS1 Miata is the first NA Miata to get an LS1 90-97. Other LS1 Miatas are are the NB (99-04). The cars are different. No kit exists for the first.

Bottom line is that I just finished it (to where it is on the street about a week or so ago).

I still have to install the roll bar and get it to Bandimere for official times. Current performance numbers are done with a G-Tech Accelerometer.

Sam.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Ok well I can certainly respect the work you did, I am just making the point that miata's are not typically badass or fast cars so to speak. You can supercharge/turbocharge and engine swap anything to make it fast. I think cars give off certain images and whenever I see a miata I always think little slow old man/young girl "sporty" car. And all those little cars handle well, I'll give them that. Of course super/turbocharging ior engine swapping one would make for a damn fun sleeper.
You can buy a turbo version at the dealership (Mazdaspeed).

I've seen some very powerful hummers out there that are never going to be fast.

One of the reasons that this miata is fast is that it has an LS1 in it. The other is that is weighs about a 1000 pounds less than a Camaro. Its not just the power, its the weight, aerodynamics, balance, etc. Is it as fast as a stock vette or camaro, no, but it has a lot of potential in a very inexpensive package. I got mine for $750 (Wreaked).

Stock, the Mazdaspeed has a weight/power ratio if 13.7
The non Mazdaspeed version has a weight/power ratio of 16.

No doubt that the camaro with a weight/power ratio of about 10 is going to be faster, but the miata is pretty quick for what it is. The question was, "what modifications could be done to a miata to make it fast enough to beat the truck". The answer is, "Plenty". There are a LOT of very fast Miatas out there.

Most of the monsters out there are sleepers. Mine is not. The LS1 is a very large engine for the car and there will have to be a scoop. Also the rear end was a lot bigger and the car's rear end is wider by 5 inches. So it looks very modified.

I know there are at least four monster Miatas in Colorado. I had a test drive in one of them when I decided I had to build one and chose the LS1 because it's my favorite engine.

That monster was a 302 Ford V8, supercharged of course. 432 HP at the wheels and street legal. It was a 2500 pound rocket.

The moral is don't just assume there is rice in the pot. There may be some american beef roasting under that hood.

Sam.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Turo
down in miami ive seen miatas with ford 302's in them, and they haul ***! you would know if it was a V8 though, by hearing the exhaust
for some reason i doubt he needed that much power/

whats the truck run?
with those gears/tires/etc i find it hard to believe
it runs better than 15's which is what a mildy modded miata can do.

stock times:
1990 Mazda Miata 9.4 16.9
1991 Mazda Miata 9.1 16.7
1994 Mazda Miata 9.7 17.0
1996 Mazda Miata 8.7 16.6
1999 Mazda Miata 7.9 15.9
2001 Mazda Miata MX5 7.9 15.9

not flaming. just stating facts on the miata and questioning the
timeslip on your big ol truck.

(i'd rather have the truck 1 billion times over the miata by the way)
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Hey Guys:

Sam has been on top of his project. I have had to put it on hold do to the job having me work some overtime. My pics. are here at Sam's site.
www.sammichael.com/ls1/turbotacoma

Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Sorry, no. This particular LS1 Miata is the first NA Miata to get an LS1 90-97. Other LS1 Miatas are are the NB (99-04). The cars are different. No kit exists for the first.

Bottom line is that I just finished it (to where it is on the street about a week or so ago).

I still have to install the roll bar and get it to Bandimere for official times. Current performance numbers are done with a G-Tech Accelerometer.

Sam.
I'm pretty curious as to what the results will be; keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

isn't there some mazda speed miata.. supposedly there a lot lot quicker then the regular miatas.. something like 50hp increase in the lighweight car... which is kinda aight i guess.. they have factory turbos'

the ls1 miatas look cool, but not as cool as a ls1 cobra
Old 01-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Launching!

From what my friend tells me, the motors take really well to boost, like they were made for it. There's a guy here, put a big turbo and a ford rear end (dont' know if it's a t-bird one or not). I'm not exacltly sure what else, but he says not much was really done to the car, and he run's 10's in the 1/4. When I saw him run, it was the fastest miata in the county at that point in time. They do make a supercharger kit for them too. I'm not sure about n/a, but with turbo or a s/c, they are very easy to make fast.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam.
Riddle me this:

What's wrong with this post? ^^^^^^

Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Have any hp #'s or track times?? Sweet setup you've got there.

No track available right now. I am still cleaning up a few things and it will take a bit more time to get the car insured. I will post "unofficial times" ASAP.

Sam.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Velocity
Riddle me this:

What's wrong with this post? ^^^^^^

Do you have a question?

Sam.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a Turbo Miata around here that hung with my buddies 427rwhp Cobra from a 40 punch...they can be made pretty damn fast
Old 01-27-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a 13.5 SC'ed Miata before the WS6. Not that 13.5 is super fast or anything, but it's respectable. The Miata is the perfect sleeper. No one expects a bitch car to keep up or hand their *** back to them. I just reached a point that it would be cheaper to trade off to the TA and hop up the TA to achieve my goals. Each machine has it's purpose. I'd like to have the Miata back in the garage with the TA though.

Now the LS1 Miata is new to me. I might find a NB beater and to the swap....
Old 01-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I had a 13.5 SC'ed Miata before the WS6. Not that 13.5 is super fast or anything, but it's respectable. The Miata is the perfect sleeper. No one expects a bitch car to keep up or hand their *** back to them. I just reached a point that it would be cheaper to trade off to the TA and hop up the TA to achieve my goals. Each machine has it's purpose. I'd like to have the Miata back in the garage with the TA though.

Now the LS1 Miata is new to me. I might find a NB beater and to the swap....
Bitch car...

I'm gonna let that one go. I think the new C6 looks a bit like a miata. I like it.

A real challenge would be to the NA (90 - 97) and stick the LS1 in it.

So far, mine is the only one on the road. Two more are on well on their way. The second is nearing completion. All of us have done the conversion differently. There is still time to be unique. Maybe you can keep it a sleeper. Mine has lost the sleeper look with both a very wide rear end and a scoop on the hood to make additional clearance.

Sam.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Mazdaspeed Miata comes factory turboed....but watch out for the Monster Miata (car pictured above) those came from Monster Motorsports with options including stock 302's all the way up to a 347 stroker with a Paxton blower.....AWESOME cars!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Make Miata Fast Recipe

Make Miata Fast Recipe:

Take one Mazda Miata
Gut Miata
Build tube chassis
Place body on tube chassis
Install 820 cu. in. Sonny's BBC
Install Power Glide
Install Fab 9 rear

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Ouch. . .is there any way a miata can be fast?