Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Vs. SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mph476
ricer arguement?....I don't think so...I own a 02 ss with some mods and I can hold my own thankyou...I was just giving him a pat on the back since he got beat by a modern pos...and when I said that they'll be dead in a year...I was just stating a fact...not everyone wants a car that falls apart around them despite the fact that its fast...thats not a ricer argument telling him to race em till they blow...I raced a stang the other day and it was funny as hell when he blew his motor...like traction...keeping your car in one piece is apart of the game too.
you are a moron......

gm isn't exactly known for it's quality in manufacturing
Old 12-02-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I've already been hearing about the SRT-4's in my neck of the woods too. It that damn power to weight ratio they've got. Besides the traction argument that we've already established, throw a few things out you don't need. That will put you closer to their level. They make like 250 horse or something don't they?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I've already been hearing about the SRT-4's in my neck of the woods too. It that damn power to weight ratio they've got. Besides the traction argument that we've already established, throw a few things out you don't need. That will put you closer to their level. They make like 250 horse or something don't they?
my brother in law has a neon that turned into an srt4

just basic mods done(boost control, cold air, bigger intercooler)
and he's ran a 13.2, and a best mph of 105
on a mustang dyno he got 229hp and 251 lbs of torque....it was cool cuz he dynoed right after a bad *** 396 ss camaro that made 240hp and 240#s, and then the little neon comes and almost equals it......
Old 12-02-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ricer arguement?....I don't think so...I own a 02 ss with some mods and I can hold my own thankyou...
How does this in any way defend you from making a ricer argument?

I was just giving him a pat on the back since he got beat by a modern pos...and when I said that they'll be dead in a year...I was just stating a fact...not everyone wants a car that falls apart around them despite the fact that its fast...thats not a ricer argument telling him to race em till they blow...I raced a stang the other day and it was funny as hell when he blew his motor...like traction...keeping your car in one piece is apart of the game too.
Dood... you do realize you drive an F-Body, right? F-Bodies are known for electrical failures and cheap interior/body pieces. This is going to sound harsh, but try to take it the right way: Pull your head out of your ***.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jdustu
on a mustang dyno he got 229hp and 251 lbs of torque....it was cool cuz he dynoed right after a bad *** 396 ss camaro that made 240hp and 240#s, and then the little neon comes and almost equals it......
That is pretty impressive for the little neon, but there has got to be something terribly wrong with a 396 ss that is only putting down 240rwhp, was this even a WOT run?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

oh man, i've raced a bunch of them. From a stop, I can take em, especially if there stock. But once they throw on some drag radials, they can really hook. But from a roll, they get me everytime, since lt1's have such amazing top end... .

All the people i raced where all my friends, so was just in good fun. One of em dynoed 251hp, 311tq!!!! Ridiculous. He dynoed more torque than almost all my ls1 friends with long tubes and stalls. And yeah, I know stalls drop it a lil bit, but it suprised the hell out of us.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poik
That is pretty impressive for the little neon, but there has got to be something terribly wrong with a 396 ss that is only putting down 240rwhp, was this even a WOT run?
well, the mustang dynos are lower than most dynos, and the guy was telling the operator not to go over certain rpms and what not, he thought the tranny was going.......i don't know, i didn't really think about it at the time, but i think it had a roll cage in it too .......i think it was a '67...a really really sharp car......
Old 12-02-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by buffman
Darn our RWD cars and our poor traction

I've seen a handfull of SRT-4s at the track. The best I've seen them run stock is right around the 14.2ish range. Then again one of my friend's buddy owns a Evo 8 with the boost turned up to the moon. He's a good shifter and launched it quite high and only netted a 14.2 (late cold night too.) I've come to the conlcusion that many cars don't like our Strip. WRXs running a low 16 (this kid doesn't know how to launch a turbo car) , a new lightining running a 14.2, and a 04 GTO A4 running 14.50s.

Matt
A lot of it depends on the altitude and weather at the track. DA makes a big differnce in how a car runs.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matrik
He dynoed more torque than almost all my ls1 friends with long tubes and stalls. And yeah, I know stalls drop it a lil bit, but it suprised the hell out of us.

Ummm...stalls increase torque...

My stock 98 Z with a stall saw 390 ft lbs of torque on the dyno with a 3200 stall unlocked.....only 313 or something without it....

Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Launching!

bring the neon to me and i will make him realize how much of a turd he drives
Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dust6928
bring the neon to me and i will make him realize how much of a turd he drives
what, with this high quality camaro?

pop in the rear of car
its a 95z and i dont drive it but once a week or so but if it sets for more than a week when i go to back up there is a loud pop in the rear and it almost feels like something is froze up. the rear brakes look ok so i dont think it is the parking brake sticking but could be. i am afraid it may be the rear end. i had 4.10s put in years ago by a local gm dealer and it is a genuine gear but has always whined and to me felt like it had slack but the tech assured me the specs were right. any ideas guys?
nice job dumbass
Old 12-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Teching In

I feel this way about this subject neons are for sissy's, people who drive them are idiots just because they have a power adder doesn't make them cool imo.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
Agreed. Something fishy sounding about that.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

well, the mustang dynos are lower than most dynos, and the guy was telling the operator not to go over certain rpms and what not, he thought the tranny was going.......i don't know, i didn't really think about it at the time, but i think it had a roll cage in it too .......i think it was a '67...a really really sharp car......
I did not realize it was a 67, that doesn't sound that bad for the SS396 if it was stock (I thought it was a stroker LT1). The SS 396 had 375 gross horsepower (290 net) back in the late sixties. So 240 RWHP would be about right IF it were stock.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the only import i have lost to in the t/a was a WRX Sti, but he wouldnt slow down and wanted to race from an 80mph roll, he had a manual and i am an a4 so i was at a slight disadvantage. he had a fart can,nitto's, and cai.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dexter93
I feel this way about this subject neons are for sissy's, people who drive them are idiots just because they have a power adder doesn't make them cool imo.
nothing like a good ol' fashion ignorant generalization
Old 12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Launching!

what, with this high quality camaro?

nice job dumbass
jdustu, with a sig like this (hump sheep, don't count them) i would think you were from the hills of arkansas instead of detroit rock city. parking brake was sticking, problem solved on my beast, but thanks for remembering the problem i was having, if you werent such an a*$ it would be almost special.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

jdustu, with a sig like this (hump sheep, don't count them) i would think you were from the hills of arkansas instead of detroit rock city. parking brake was sticking, problem solved on my beast, but thanks for remembering the problem i was having, if you werent such an a*$ it would be almost special.
just cuz i live in the motor city doesn't mean i can't help some sheep over the fence if i feel like it .......nice job on the parking brake, must be that great general motors quality.....so how are you going to show that srt-4 that it was a "turd" anyways? because the whole thread was started as an lt1 vs. an srt4, then ridiculously somebody commented that the neon sucked due to it's quality(because everyone knows that fbodys never break anything), and then you jumped in....so, you wouldn't show it up with your "beast's" quality, and you wouldn't beat it, so what would you do, exactly? and even if you did beat it, what would that prove? he'll bring out something else to beat you, you'll get something else to beat him, and everything is a "turd" until you're racing rockets around the moon.........people like you are the reason the mullet stereotype is alive and kicking.....
not that there's anything wrong with a mullet
Old 12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Teching In

It worked I made the statement just for you take turbo off the neon and see if it could beat any f-body ever made.

nothing like a good ol' fashion ignorant generalization
Old 12-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Teching In

It broke something in the pic a man's self respect a priceless part you can never buy back.

my brother in law has a neon that turned into an srt4

just basic mods done(boost control, cold air, bigger intercooler)
and he's ran a 13.2, and a best mph of 105

Quick Reply: LT1 Vs. SRT-4