Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I want to kill a '04 cobra for xmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004 | 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

What does a stock '04 Cobra weight in at?
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
What does a stock '04 Cobra weight in at?
Its heavier then an ls1, i think its about 200 or 300lbs more.

Back to the aerodynamics, i honestly think the aerodynamics do come into play. I mean if it didn't , then why does GM for example try to make a very aerodynamic corvette? There's a reason for that, and i reallly doubt that its made to come into play after 200 MPH, i mean why would they try to make an aerodynamic car that only kicks in after an insane speed like that. Totally pointless, and im not saying that it makes a big difference, but im sure it could make a difference in a tight race.
Old 12-10-2004 | 04:00 PM
STF Veteran

Alright. Aerodynamics are a factor at 1 mph. I doubt the impact of 1 mph of wind resistance is terrible hard to overcome. Aerodynamics increasingly become a factor the faster you go. If you are driving a Mac truck then yes aerodynamics will probably have a significant affect on you at 60 mph. The difference in the size of the front of the Cobra vs the difference in the size of the Camaro isn't enough to make more than a slight difference at speeds up to ~ 100. The drag of a car starts to make more of an impact when you get around 120 and up. Check this link out it will help.

http://www.trackaero.com/factors1.html
Old 12-10-2004 | 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6T/A98
Its heavier then an ls1, i think its about 200 or 300lbs more.
Thanks! So we're probably talking about a 3600-3650 curb weight for the '04 Cobra?
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3675 withOUT me and a 1/2 tank of gas, and 3865 raceweight (me in it).
Old 12-11-2004 | 01:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Alright. Aerodynamics are a factor at 1 mph. I doubt the impact of 1 mph of wind resistance is terrible hard to overcome. Aerodynamics increasingly become a factor the faster you go. If you are driving a Mac truck then yes aerodynamics will probably have a significant affect on you at 60 mph. The difference in the size of the front of the Cobra vs the difference in the size of the Camaro isn't enough to make more than a slight difference at speeds up to ~ 100. The drag of a car starts to make more of an impact when you get around 120 and up. Check this link out it will help.

http://www.trackaero.com/factors1.html

That website uses elementary fluid mechanics principles. The person who wrote that website seems to only know how to relate real-life situations to a very basic flat plate (perhaps this person has just touched on the basics of fluid mechanics). You need to understand that aerodynamics will play a larger effect from a 55 roll-on race than a 1/4 mile race.

It's not just about the overall frontal area of the Camaro, but the shape. The Cobra has a more blunt body and will surely lead to larger drag forces.

You need to compare apples to apples. At 1mph, the dominant drag force is not pressure drag (which is the dominant drag force for more turbulent flow > ~10mph ). At 1mph, the dominant drag force is friction, or viscous drag. This drag force will be relatively small. The laminar flow at 1mph is characteristically much different from the turbulent flow at greater speeds.
Old 12-11-2004 | 04:34 AM
Launching!

someone didnt sleep thru physics
Old 12-11-2004 | 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unit213
You're races against Cobras should have an asterisk by them. It seems that you always find the worst of the bunch.

460rwhp is good for low 11's with a good driver, mid 11's with a decent driver, and high 11's with a shitty driver...all ranging from 118-123mph or so.

A good setup with a TR224 can put you in that range.
other than the driver factor, also depends on weight, tires, gears.....every little bit counts tho....getting a good jump, maxin out ur gears, etc.
Old 12-11-2004 | 08:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by James1
That website uses elementary fluid mechanics principles. The person who wrote that website seems to only know how to relate real-life situations to a very basic flat plate (perhaps this person has just touched on the basics of fluid mechanics). You need to understand that aerodynamics will play a larger effect from a 55 roll-on race than a 1/4 mile race.

It's not just about the overall frontal area of the Camaro, but the shape. The Cobra has a more blunt body and will surely lead to larger drag forces.

You need to compare apples to apples. At 1mph, the dominant drag force is not pressure drag (which is the dominant drag force for more turbulent flow > ~10mph ). At 1mph, the dominant drag force is friction, or viscous drag. This drag force will be relatively small. The laminar flow at 1mph is characteristically much different from the turbulent flow at greater speeds.
You are over analyzing the **** out of this for no reason. We have done thousands of real world "tests" to prove our theories. Maybe you'll pick up a tenth in the 1/4 if you trap 130mph, which you don't.

BTW...I'm a chem eng so I know a little something about physics, aerodynamics, etc.
Old 12-11-2004 | 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unit213
You are over analyzing the **** out of this for no reason. We have done thousands of real world "tests" to prove our theories. Maybe you'll pick up a tenth in the 1/4 if you trap 130mph, which you don't.

BTW...I'm a chem eng so I know a little something about physics, aerodynamics, etc.
Dude, can you not read? I have specifically stated many times that for a 1/4 race, aerodynamics will not factor in very much. Here, the launch, suspension setup, traction, torque, etc, play a much larger role. For a 55mph roll-on, however, the aerodynamics factor in more considerably. Btw, I know what chem. engineers study, and the aerodynamics you guys study doesn't delve deeper than D=CD*density*.5*A*U^2.

Can you post your thousands of real world tests that PROVE your theories?
Old 12-11-2004 | 11:07 AM
Administrator

post deleted.

Enough of this nonsense.

Last edited by unit213; 12-11-2004 at 11:26 AM.