Dissapointed With the 4.6 again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBronco
hell even PI headed cars are not THAT great... man mustangs suck

unless you know what you are doing like some of us
yeah, thats why Chris from Outlaw Turbo Systems in FL went 8.30's @ 160+ with his 82mm turbo 2v drag radial car
Old 02-04-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

nope i didnt have to do a motor swap. cuz i wasnt the one who wasted my time to do it. But its funny really why is it mustangs are all slow without boost, or nitrous?????? tell me that???? I do have nitrous but my car is plenty fast without it but **** give me a 03 cobra
Old 02-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lswonder
nope i didnt have to do a motor swap. cuz i wasnt the one who wasted my time to do it. But its funny really why is it mustangs are all slow without boost, or nitrous?????? tell me that???? I do have nitrous but my car is plenty fast without it but **** give me a 03 cobra

Its all in how you build the motor. There are stock bottom end 302's with simple heads/cam/carb setups running deep into the mid 10's on all muscle. Go look at the mustangs in NMRA Hot Street... they are running high 8's/low 9's all day long N/A.

My pos 88 GT i put together for $3500 (including price of the car) is a high 12 second car on motor alone, with just a basic yet very mild heads/cam/carb combo, and its over 3600lbs. Like i said, its all in how you build the up the motor.

I mean, of course the LS1/LS6 is gonna be pretty quick with bolt on's on motor.... with aluminum heads that flow damn near close to 300cfm from the factory, an aluminum 346 inch motor it should be.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry to be such an ******* on that post man. i guess i was wrong about stangs. btw ur car looks good
Old 02-04-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Fast or slow is open to interpretation. However, when my 99 Cobra was internally stock (bolt-ons, gear, some weight reduction), it went 11.60 @ 115 mph. That's slow to some, quick to others.

What does your car run without the spray?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to be such an ******* on that post man. i guess i was wrong about stangs. btw ur car looks good
its all good. I didnt take offense to it...... i love **** talking

thanks for the props...its just one of them slow mustangs
Old 02-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

4.6 Mustangs are slow as all hell, I have a story, coming back from a car show I'm in my 99 Grand Prix GT, sorta fast for a big 4 door V6, so anybody theres a guy and his wife or GF in a 99+ GT convert, he starts screwing around with me so I say watch this to my friend in the car, we were merging onto one highway from another, I'm behind him, I try to cut all the way to the left, he does it too, then floors it, I floor it and was gaining, then he goes right and I blow past, it made me so happy, my first V8 kill.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, stock 96-97 gts are not quick at all. HAd a guy, who just bought it, pull up and gave me a few revs. Im like alright...light turns; we hit, im spinning nasty and gaining. when 2nd hit..forget about it!!! i think he just stopped because it seemed as if he was stopped!

Your right, the 88 mustang are know to have great potential with few bucks. but in saying that a car is slow because you had to do a motor swap is the same thing if i said that adding boost to your car is the only reason why its fast. Its all relative.......

hey, the recent mach 1 had the same motor as the 97 cobra right? Wat kind of numbers on average was the cobra doing back then?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GH1086
4.6 Mustangs are slow as all hell
Could you please qualify this statement?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by obZidian
hey, the recent mach 1 had the same motor as the 97 cobra right? Wat kind of numbers on average was the cobra doing back then?
No. The only similarity is the displacement and general layout of the engine. Everything else is different.

Bone stock 97 Cobra's averaged high 13s to low 14s. Some were a bit quicker, some were a bit slower. For reference, my bone stock 98 went 13.6 @ 104 w/2.18 60 ft.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

But its funny really why is it mustangs are all slow without boost, or nitrous?????? tell me that????
ALL slow?

How is running the same ET as the last F-Bodies produced (12.9 - 13.2 completely stock - no boost, ntrous or other power-adders) slow?

So I guess that your F-Body was slow when stock then?

4.6 Mustangs are slow as all hell...
Old 02-05-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

yup it was slow stock
Old 02-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

yup it was slow stock
So if your car was slow then (running mid/low 13's or so), what does "Fast" mean to you now?

12's?

11's?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

In response to Angus66 and Bob Cosby, they are slow if my 6 cylinder 200HP four door family car, can beat the '99+ V8, now he was close to stock, I think he had a exhaust it was quiet but a little louder than stock, and I all I have on my car is a cat-back, CAI, and computer retune. The cat-back adds nothing on a GP, the others maybe 10HP each if I'm lucky. He should have totally destroyed me but he didn't, I passed him and you could tell he was flooring it just my how his exhaust sounded. Also I have run into some other new (as in '99+ GT's) and they haven't been fast. I have only encountered one that was, and I know for a fact he has quiet a bit of work done, and it showed, he totally destroyed me light to light.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

In response to Angus66 and Bob Cosby, they are slow if my 6 cylinder 200HP four door family car, can beat the '99+ V8, now he was close to stock, I think he had a exhaust it was quiet but a little louder than stock, and I all I have on my car is a cat-back, CAI, and computer retune. The cat-back adds nothing on a GP, the others maybe 10HP each if I'm lucky.
Ok. So your car is capable of running high 13's? I say this because that is what a 99+ GT is capable of running - about the same as a stock LT1. Which of course, thus implies that stock LT1s are slow too.

He should have totally destroyed me but he didn't
Maybe he was laughing instead of racing?

I passed him and you could tell he was flooring it just my how his exhaust sounded.
Of course.

Also I have run into some other new (as in '99+ GT's) and they haven't been fast.
Please see above.

I have only encountered one that was, and I know for a fact he has quiet a bit of work done, and it showed, he totally destroyed me light to light.
What is "quiet" bit of work? And I ask, what does your car run? Mid 15s?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Angus66
So if your car was slow then (running mid/low 13's or so), what does "Fast" mean to you now?

12's?

11's?
10's and 11's
Old 02-05-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

the car ran a 12.9 stock so
Old 02-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

In response to Bob Cosby, no my car does not run 13's (I wish it did), yes it does run 15's, now I like both the Mustang and Camaro, I am still deciding on which one to buy. But I speak only from experience, this happened last summer, and to the best of my knowledge it sounded like he was flooring the car, and I was flooring mine, I stayed with then passed him. Now all I have is my word to prove it, and no he wasn't laughing (I could clearly see him, he had a convertible with the top down, he to me looked a little mad). Now you can says its not true and all I have to prove otherwise is my word. And for the work done on the one very fast one, I am not sure, but he used to work at the same place I did, I never got a chance to ask him, but everybody I spoke to said he had quite a bit of work done (this isn't as some office building either, it was a car dealership, and he was a tech).
Old 02-05-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

the car ran a 12.9 stock so
You've got quite a bit of work done to your 01 WS6. What kind of times have you turned in it?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

In response to Bob Cosby, no my car does not run 13's (I wish it did), yes it does run 15's, now I like both the Mustang and Camaro, I am still deciding on which one to buy. But I speak only from experience, this happened last summer, and to the best of my knowledge it sounded like he was flooring the car, and I was flooring mine, I stayed with then passed him. Now all I have is my word to prove it, and no he wasn't laughing (I could clearly see him, he had a convertible with the top down, he to me looked a little mad). Now you can says its not true and all I have to prove otherwise is my word. And for the work done on the one very fast one, I am not sure, but he used to work at the same place I did, I never got a chance to ask him, but everybody I spoke to said he had quite a bit of work done (this isn't as some office building either, it was a car dealership, and he was a tech).
If you say your 200 HP 4Dr GP beat a 99+ GT, fine. I'm sure you believe it, and damn near anything is possible (even the moon falling into the Pacific Ocean).