Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Owned by a 350z . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonycds
in a situation like that, rolling at 60 mph in an a4, should you have dropped it into 2nd or not? would that have been more effective than leaving it in OD?

Tha's what I was thinking...
Old 02-22-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By saying the car is a dog im comparing it to the two vehicles I drive. An ls1 f-body, and a gsx-r. In my view, for a stock car, a 350z is a dog. It is a nice looking car, they are fairly comfortable to sit in, and can be made to be brutally fast. The last part can be said about any vehicle however assuming money is put into the equation.

By the way if you havnt noticed, stock Mustangs with the exception of the mach 1 and terminator get branded as dogs and turds around here also. I mean no disrespect to the car as I know of people that refer to ls1s as dogs because they drive cars that make 13s look slow for a stock car. It is all figurative.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCamaro
By saying the car is a dog im comparing it to the two vehicles I drive. An ls1 f-body, and a gsx-r. In my view, for a stock car, a 350z is a dog. It is a nice looking car, they are fairly comfortable to sit in, and can be made to be brutally fast. The last part can be said about any vehicle however assuming money is put into the equation.

By the way if you havnt noticed, stock Mustangs with the exception of the mach 1 and terminator get branded as dogs and turds around here also. I mean no disrespect to the car as I know of people that refer to ls1s as dogs because they drive cars that make 13s look slow for a stock car. It is all figurative.
Relative as it may be, any car can be made to be fast. All it takes is $$$. I have never refered to any car capible of turning 13.XX as a dog and never will.

With the stroker kit in my garage, my SS is about to slip into the 10.XX range and yes 13 second cars are relatively slow. They are not dogs though.

Sorry, stereotypes just get to me. On the Z forums I break it off on them when they stereotype Camaro owners as rednecks and on other LS1 forums I do the same when they refer to "ricers" incorrectly.

Your "dog" comment is not a stereotype. It was just a comment that I dissagree with.

My Z is a "dog" compared to my SS on the strip. However, my SS is a dog compared to my Z on the Track. Does that make them both dogs?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Teching In

That Z he raced is a fully built Z. So good death. He spent lots of money on the car, so you know it is fast. here is the car:

EYE 1

Last edited by cquence 350 [Z]; 02-22-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That car is awesome looking, ive got respect for it especially with 500 rwhp. That thing should move. Can someone find some specs or something on this car.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:27 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by cquence 350 [Z]
HOTTTT
Old 02-22-2005, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZumaKuma
I have to start out with saying, "I hate stereotypes"...

Ricers is an overused and much misunderstood moniker. The true meaning of the word goes back to my younger years when we used the term "All show and no go".

A true "ricer" is one that has a large wing, fart can muffler, body effects and has done nothing to improve performance.

Calling all import cars ricers is just like saying all Camaro owners have a mullet and live in a manufactured home.

Anyway; as you can in my signature, I own a 2000 SS and a 2004 350Z. The Z you raced puts down 500+ RWHP. You may have done better against him from a dig, however I doubt it would have been noticeable. That Z is no joke and with the weight difference, he will eat your lunch from a roll at any speed or a dig.

wouldn't go as far as to say they are dogs, my man. In stock trim they perform equally with Mustang GT's and LT1 Fbodies. They are no contest for a well driven LS1 powered Fbody though. But then again there are not that many cars that are a good run for an LS1 in the quarter... That doesn't make them a dog though.
My buddy has a 94 M6 Z28 w/ only a Catback. He raced a M6 350Z w/ a intake (k&N), and exhaust (which sounds like ****). My buddy cruising and about ohh 35 or so in 2nd, punches it while the 350z dropped it into 1st. He got about car before they wounded out 2nd. My buddy hput a 1/2 car before shifting into 3rd...You can guess the rest.. I was in the car and it's no B.S.

BTY: My buddy doesn't know how to drive or else he would have Downshifted

As for the mustang part, what mustang GT's have u raced???? You must have raced like the 94-98 years. Another buddy of mine has a 2000GT w/ a flowmaster and Mac intake. He raced the same dude the same night. From a dig, the both lost traction, and when they hooked his GT was about car ahead and kept pulling through the end of 3rd. So i was just letting u know about the real world....Dont preach to me about the specs of each car either...Specs don't meen **** on the street.

As for the "ricers" don't get all but hurt about it, im sure ur happy with ur 350Z and all...But thats the first thing out of our mouth, "Rice", even though it's an expensive import and a nice luxury/sporty car.

-Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

350z are not dogs, they hold up pretty well against most cars. 350z get my respect when i went to the track with my friend in his base model 6speed 350z only thing done was pull the air filter and he got a 13.99 out of it, i was suprised.
ont he ricer note: civics with park benchs as wings are ricers, probes with NOS stickers are ricers. actually modded 350z are not ricer.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

well that's probably why i got my *** handed to me. that is one nice car tho Anyway, i refer to most imports as "ricers" beause around here, one mostly sees a civic hatchback, lowered, with intake thinking they are fast. in no way was i saying that this 350z was a ricer. but anyway, glad to know what he was putting down compared to what i am.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1fbod
My buddy has a 94 M6 Z28 w/ only a Catback. He raced a M6 350Z w/ a intake (k&N), and exhaust (which sounds like ****). My buddy cruising and about ohh 35 or so in 2nd, punches it while the 350z dropped it into 1st. He got about car before they wounded out 2nd. My buddy hput a 1/2 car before shifting into 3rd...You can guess the rest.. I was in the car and it's no B.S.

BTY: My buddy doesn't know how to drive or else he would have Downshifted

As for the mustang part, what mustang GT's have u raced???? You must have raced like the 94-98 years. Another buddy of mine has a 2000GT w/ a flowmaster and Mac intake. He raced the same dude the same night. From a dig, the both lost traction, and when they hooked his GT was about car ahead and kept pulling through the end of 3rd. So i was just letting u know about the real world....Dont preach to me about the specs of each car either...Specs don't meen **** on the street.

As for the "ricers" don't get all but hurt about it, im sure ur happy with ur 350Z and all...But thats the first thing out of our mouth, "Rice", even though it's an expensive import and a nice luxury/sporty car.

-Matt
I am surprised to hear that Matt. Before the '00 SS I had a '97 30th anni Z28. It had CAI and Cat back. The best I could pull with it was a 13.87@101. That is quite doable by a stock Z and there have been a few Z's down to 13.6.

But back to the topic (that I was more than a bit responsible for derailing), no shame in losing to that Z. It is a Z06 killer and there are about to be a lot more of them around. There was a problem with the boosted ones and nobody could turn up the PSI without risking serious damage. One of the better suppliers took the time to really R&D their set up and they discovered the timing problem that was causing engines to blow. Now that it's been discovered there will be a lot more 350's out there that will be mean as all get out.

I'm not planning on doing F/I on mine in the near future. That's what the SS is for! My goal with the SS is to get it down to the mid 10's N/A. Once I put the stroker kit (sitting in my garage) in it, I think that should get me there. I may have to change the gears to 4.11's though.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
Tha's what I was thinking...
i KNOW that's what i did. i replied to that already.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 PM
TTT
Teching In

Originally Posted by white00ws6
Well i was on my way home and i see i get surrounded by ricers ( 300zx, 350z, and a golf vw). i dont think much of them since they're ricers. So we get a red light and the 350z is next to me. On green he hits it, and i hear his BOV and read his license plate that reads " EYE 1 " . so we both hop on the freeway and we're matching speeds at 60mph. i manually drop my a4 into 2nd gear and hit it. right off the bat he pulls on me and doesn't stop pulling. he probably put about 3 cars on me. BTW, i dyno 370/370. i try again and i get the same result hitting about 125mph. i was a little disappointed but it shows that not all ricers are slow. . .
So now who are the ricers... the "slow" imports? Like my Nissan TTZ, I guess... at only 703 RWHP (exterior completely stock). What about Mustangs with ugly non-stock wings and shitty paint jobs? What about 6-cylinder LS1s with exhaust tips, racing stripes (good for at least 20 RWHP), stickers, and absolutely no performance mods? I think those cars own the market on rice (well, except for underpowered, poorly modified 4-cylinders). Ricers are people who "rice up" their rides, regardless of their make. If you want good examples, try www.beaterz.com, www.ricecop.com or www.laughatrice.com. You'll quickly see how there are numerous domestics which also look like total a$$.

I must agree - it is easy to stereotype import owners (especially Honda civic and CRX owners) as ricers, since that is predominantly what people see being "riced up." But it is not always that way.

http://www.laughatrice.com/gallery/d...?album=1&pos=9

http://www.laughatrice.com/gallery/d...?album=6&pos=2

http://www.laughatrice.com/gallery/d...?album=6&pos=7

http://www.laughatrice.com/gallery/d...?album=6&pos=8

http://www.laughatrice.com/gallery/d...album=14&pos=8

http://www.laughatrice.com/gallery/d...album=20&pos=7

http://www.ricecop.com/viewpic.php?i...d6cb32896dd61f

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php...=000928-01.jpg

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php...=000893-01.jpg

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php...=000767-01.jpg
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 PM
TTT
Teching In

.. and of course, my favorite Honduh...

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php...p=000662-1.jpg
Old 02-22-2005, 07:58 PM
TTT
Teching In

A 15-second "Cormaro" (forgot, this is a kills forum.... so, I'll tell you that this car killed a 16-second Honduh).

http://www.ricecop.com/viewpic.php?i...p=000613-1.jpg
Old 02-22-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright we gave the nissan its credit. But honestly you guys are preaching to the wrong choir. A group of guys that turned low 13s high 12s stock are never going to refer to a 14 second car as anything but a slow turd. Hell about a 1/4 of the people that post up in this section on a regular basis started out faster than high 12s (Terminators and ZO6 drivers). Not to mention that even that 500hp nissan is out classed by many of the daily driven cars on here.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTT
So now who are the ricers... the "slow" imports? Like my Nissan TTZ, I guess... at only 703 RWHP (exterior completely stock). What about Mustangs with ugly non-stock wings and shitty paint jobs? What about 6-cylinder LS1s with exhaust tips, racing stripes (good for at least 20 RWHP), stickers, and absolutely no performance mods? I think those cars own the market on rice (well, except for underpowered, poorly modified 4-cylinders). Ricers are people who "rice up" their rides, regardless of their make. If you want good examples, try www.beaterz.com, www.ricecop.com or www.laughatrice.com. You'll quickly see how there are numerous domestics which also look like total a$$.

I must agree - it is easy to stereotype import owners (especially Honda civic and CRX owners) as ricers, since that is predominantly what people see being "riced up." But it is not always that way.
He corrected himself...
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
He corrected himself...
thank you. i'm not bashing on the 350z so get over it.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gave credit where it was due, you have a nice car, very fast nor am i hating on your car. i think others on this board agree with me as well. but yes, i do regard those civics with 15inch wings as ricers. but i don't regard your car as one. so can we drop this already
Old 02-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Launching!

The truck with the spoiler and 6 or 7 exhuast tips is freakin hilarious!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

DAMN. pesky ricers