Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

And I thought LS1's were fast. :)

Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like he has the original 305 valve covers on it. But still he could have work done to it. If a 4 cylinder can take out a LS1, why cant a 305???
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by FormulaFire
If you look closely you can tell that it'sa V6 bird. Check out the Spoiler. That's no TA spoiler on the hatch. It's flush like a V6 firebird or Formula.. Nice try though bud..
No, that's a TA spoiler. I know that picnic table spoiler quite well, and that really is how low it sits when you look at the car from that 3/4 angle.

I don't doubt that's a TA. I am doubting that we've heard all the mods that the 305 has.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FormulaFire
If you look closely you can tell that it'sa V6 bird. Check out the Spoiler. That's no TA spoiler on the hatch. It's flush like a V6 firebird or Formula.. Nice try though bud..
Maybe you need to look alittle closer!Only the trans am has 2 round fog lights just on either side of the licence plate like that one does.A firebird has 4 round lights in the front(outside 2 are fog lights and the inside 2 are running lights)And that is a trans am spoiler on the back too!Along with the side ground effects that a trans am comes with. You might be right though,they may of replaced all of the body pieces to make it look like a trans am.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

I know I know.. I'm just trying to discredit this guy.. Cause there is absolutely NO way a stock 305 tpi is beating a 350 LS1.. NO WAY..
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the first picture it doesnt look like there is anybody in the 3rd gen bird but it is still 2 cars ahead.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember about 7 years ago, a guy won an award for best engineered car. It was in Car Craft. He had a 10 second 3rd gen firebird with a 305.

Also, in the last small block engine masters challenge (PHR), the guy in 3rd did it with a 307, which I don't think is too far off Bore and Stroke Wise. I forget.

305's are a small block chevy with the same stroke as a 350 and smaller bore. I really feel that the main thing holding the old TPI engines was the intake track. The HSR is pretty bad assed. I love the design, almost a straight shot to the head.

Now, I don't know if this guy is BSing us, but I am sure there are 305's that can run.

I would still build a 350. It's slightly cheaper for more cu. But it would be fun to beat up on LS1's and others with a 305. Some people would just get their feelings hurt.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

I think a 305 can beat a stock LS1 with nitrous.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

yes it can, so let's hear how from the horse's mouth without all of the witty robert-stack-mystery-show. then we can say awesome job man , and I can not race him cause my car is slow as hell.

otherwise its for all I care.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:12 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant remember the last time anyone tried to prove a race with pictures?! some of them dont even have a driver in the cars....

this is so stupid.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
STF Veteran

Ahh but here's the true test, can this car beat the 8URLS1's LT1 from the other thread? I mean since we're using a TA as a refrence point and all...

mmmm 14 second madness!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Before

After

Nice job hiding it.

Street racing can get you some parts if you win and the other guy thought he would win (easily).

Nice ride Zepher and it looks like it can handle autox as well.

So tell...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

The LS1 was catching in the last pic. If the old bird was an auto with stall vs. Ls1 M6 there you go. Thats why the jump off the line till top end when LS1 pulls him back.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:22 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Nice job hiding it.
I KNEW there was ~120rwhp hiding around here somewhere.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Man if I could hide spray that good in my car I woul be a rich man right now...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

i thought we already knew that that insert was nitrous. it wasnt that well hidden , its right there. I am totally missing something I think. I dont think anyone missed the jets in that pic??? or am I wrong?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:41 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
i thought we already knew that that insert was nitrous. it wasnt that well hidden , its right there. I am totally missing something I think. I dont think anyone missed the jets in that pic??? or am I wrong?
That is what I was just thinking? I was assuming he had nitrous, which is why he won, if he did?

I think it's a horrible job hiding it .... there is a plate right there, it even has the tell tale blue and red connectors for fuel and nitrous ....

Maybe the plumbing is hidden, but what does that matter when the plate, jets, and connectors are so obvious?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
That is what I was just thinking? I was assuming he had nitrous, which is why he won, if he did?

I think it's a horrible job hiding it .... there is a plate right there, it even has the tell tale blue and red connectors for fuel and nitrous ....

Maybe the plumbing is hidden, but what does that matter when the plate, jets, and connectors are so obvious?
Exactly. And I thought he denied it, saying something about it's his fuel line, not nitrous? I don't know. either way if he was saying he didnt have nitrous, (even with it in his sig) and then no one could see it in that pic, then... well I dont even know what to say. that's unbelieveable. I bet everyone was just confused though, and discounted what it obviously is. I just figured that I was being the dumb one, and for whatever reason those jet's were his fuel, not nitrous???

I am still thoroughly confused as to how this happened.

I mean if that is nitrous, then sure its totally feasible he could outrun the stock LS1. But I thought the point was that he said he didn't spray. I dunno.

Well if that's the truth, and you outran that LS1 with Nitrous, Zepher, let me be the first to apologize for being completely confused. good run man.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those pics of the old TPI setup have the Nos plate, the Holley Stealth Ram I have on there now doesn't have the plate since there is no space under the plenum for the plate to the solenoid lines..
here is another shot of the current motor so you can see that there is no plate on the intake,

here are some better pics of the victim,

Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

so then you have it running behind your fuel rails, or mixed w/ fuel prior to a top/down visible place?

or were you really sneaky and covered it with standard rubber hose?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Teching In

ok I was there taking the vid and yes he has a stock 305 in the car with alot of miles. b the other car is a LS1 with stright pipes and a 75 shot. So if he does have nitrous so did the other car. Just look at the pics and give some respect to the thirsd gen.................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And I thought LS1's were fast. :)