Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 vs. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCamaro
im really not sure where this sudden crusade of LT1 superiority is coming from...
Not LT1 superiority. Just LT1 pride.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1s are better than LT1s stock for stock, mod for mod. LT1 is a better bang for ur buck though. I don't see how people in stock LS1's are putting buslengths and killing LT1s so bad its not even funny, unless the LT1s arent trying..
Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
LS1s are better than LT1s stock for stock, mod for mod. LT1 is a better bang for ur buck though. I don't see how people in stock LS1's are putting buslengths and killing LT1s so bad its not even funny, unless the LT1s arent trying..
You have to look at the two cars in question. There is a big difference between a well driven 2002 M6 LS1 and a 1998 A4 LS1 with 2.73 gears. Likewise there is a big difference between a strong M6 LT1 and a weaker A4.

If you run a 13.6 @ 103 A4 LS1 against say a 13.8 @ 101 M6 LT1 then the race will be very, very close. No buslengths happening here. But on the other hand if you run a 13.0 @ 106 M6 LS1 vs a 14.2 @ 100 A4 LT1 the race is going to look ugly and you could find a few buslengths between the two cars.

I have lots of respect for fast/stout LT1's. The guys I don't get are the ones at z28.com who have A4 LT1's with CAI and exhaust and claim to destroy bolt-on LS1. There own sig would say something like 13.5 @ 103 yet they manage to put 4-5 car lengths on cars trapping at least 3 mph higher then them. And if you try to tell them the LS1 guy can't drive they argue with you that he shifted perfectly or that it was an A4 they raced. Because everyone knows that a LT1 can magically put 5 car lengths on another car that traps 4 mph higher then them and only had to hold the accelerator to the floor

And please stop with the "I can buy a car for $xxx and put $xxx into it and be faster then the cost of a LS1. We are F-body / muscle car guys not Honda owners
Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

And please stop with the "I can buy a car for $xxx and put $xxx into it and be faster then the cost of a LS1. We are F-body / muscle car guys not Honda owners
I am by no means a ricer. First of all, I am a college kid working a full time and a part time job to pay for my school and all my toys. Ever since I was a freshman in Highschool I worked 60 hour weeks in the summer and worked all I could during the school year. Yes my car was cheap and then I put a 500 dollar nitrous kit on it and made it fast. Cheap and Fast, that is what most college kids like me look for. I am not talking cheap and "i think its fast" like most honda owners. I was just trying to state how cheap it was to make a LT1 faster than a LS1 when people think that the LS1 is soooo superior. I don't have a pocket full of money that I can spend on a new LS1 and then spend even more on a H/C package. Maybe in a few years when I am out of school and making lots of money I can buy a LS1 and make it fast. Then I will have the best of both worlds. Sorry if I came across with a ricer mentality, but really, when I still drive a V8 and cringe every time I hear a leafblower drive by, I am really a muscle head at heart. Why must people fight about which car is faster, as far as I see it we all drive V8's, we all love speed, and we all have a passion for F-bodies. Instead of beating up on each other we should all be out smoking some rice (or mustangs LOL just kiddin).

Of course there are a few exceptions of those asswipes that think their 14 sec LT1 can beat Blown Cobras and ZO6's. ( I have one here in my town and I can't wait until my car is running so I can hand him his ***). For those guys, they deserve to be kicked square in the nuts.

For everyone else, CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!! LOL
Old 06-09-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by titaniumSS
Lt1 engines arepretty strong but don't say you'll get a LT1 WS6 and beat a stock LS1. My car was a stock LS1 01 SS with the SLP 325 hp option (which is just the SLP dual dual exhaust) and i raced a bolt on ( a few ) LT1 TA and took him bad, couldn't tell if he just stopped after the first buslength. But nonetheless, they are still good engines and very respectable.
You bash it and then say it is respectable? Go race someone like Joe Overton and see how many bus lengths you can put on him.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FLeXNuTZ
You bash it and then say it is respectable? Go race someone like Joe Overton and see how many bus lengths you can put on him.
Where in his post did he bash on the LT1? He simply stated that he raced a lightly modded lt1 in his less lightly modded ls1 and beat it. Your getting a little too high strung about this whole thing.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by deetsnai
u can buy ur friends "13.7 LT1" ls1 killer.......its still an LT1...and the more money u spend, the more those freak LT1s and dog LT1s seem to blend together.

Man, what a pointless post. And from a little bitch still living with mommy and daddy who does not even own a car
Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by deetsnai
u can buy ur friends "13.7 LT1" ls1 killer.......its still an LT1...and the more money u spend, the more those freak LT1s and dog LT1s seem to blend together.
yea well you seem to talk a lot of **** for someone who hasn't stepped foot in any fbody. How old are you, 12? Yea its still an LT1, yet that LT1 can smoke your ***, heck i'll race you on foot anyday
Old 06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Launching!

They're both great engines hands down. They both make their power in different RPM ranges than the other. Now can someone close this thread?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

The LT1s are truly bang for the buck motor.

All the people that are saying that less money to beat a more expensive car is a ricer excuse.. THEY'RE JUST PISSED THEY GOT SMOKED BY A BUDGET RACER. Imho.

I love LT1s. They sound better than LS1s anyway.

I like both motors, stock for stock the LS1 will make more power, bolt on for bolt on. But as soon as you upgrade the weak links in the LT1, cam and heads, it's all over for the LS1.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

I didn't bash LT1 engines, that was a ridiculous claim, i was just stating my experience. The car sounded badass though. I have much respect for the engine, the driver is the one that puts off the image though and it can ruin any car and any engine. LT1's can be bought for less and built up the same as any LS1 engine, still good but mod for mod, the LS1 will be faster just like an LS2 will be faster than an LS1, its just what you prefer.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 25thAnnivTransAm
The LT1s are truly bang for the buck motor.
Isn't the older Mustang 5.0 a better bang for the buck? I keep hearing how fast they can get for cheap.

All the people that are saying that less money to beat a more expensive car is a ricer excuse.. THEY'RE JUST PISSED THEY GOT SMOKED BY A BUDGET RACER. Imho.
That sounds like something a ricer would say. IMHO,

I love LT1s. They sound better than LS1s anyway.
That they do. But that alone wasn't enough for me to overlook the power differences. LT headers + GMMG = (even on a LS1)

I like both motors, stock for stock the LS1 will make more power, bolt on for bolt on. But as soon as you upgrade the weak links in the LT1, cam and heads, it's all over for the LS1.
That's simply not so. The basic heads cam LS1 still beats the basic heads cam LT1. You have to get to Joe Overton type power to really be able to say it's all over. And even then look at Ronnie Duke. It's not over, it's just evened out. But good luck on your quest for 7's
Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
Isn't the older Mustang 5.0 a better bang for the buck? I keep hearing how fast they can get for cheap.
For now, yes. But LT1 prices are getting around there.

You have to get to Joe Overton type power to really be able to say it's all over. And even then look at Ronnie Duke. It's not over, it's just evened out. But good luck on your quest for 7's
Thanks, but we won't really need it considering we're only .08 seconds away, and Rick wasn't even on full boost for that run.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Thanks, but we won't really need it considering we're only .08 seconds away, and Rick wasn't even on full boost for that run.

Not to mention, I would not want a total CROOK like Ronnie Dick championing my engine's name
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Not to mention, I would not want a total CROOK like Ronnie Dick championing my engine's name
That's alright, Harlan will soon surpass him anyway. Isn't Hardcore pretty much at the peak of that setup? And Harlan ran an 8.2X on a stock block.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx?fileid=D05CE585-292C-4130-AEA1-F533D27B1F2D<---- HERES PROOF, NOW STFU ALL U FUCKTARDS
Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx?fileid=D05CE585-292C-4130-AEA1-F533D27B1F2D<---- HERES PROOF, NOW STFU ALL U FUCKTARDS

What the hell does one video prove? If I posted up a video of Joe O running a stock LS1, would that mean that every LT1 is 4 seconds faster than every LS1?

Proof are these numbers:
Quickest stock suspended LS1 - Ronnie Duke, 7.94@176mph
Quickest stock suspended LT1 - Rick Intrau, 8.08@174mph

While that's Rick's quickest run, I believe he's trapped ~179mph, making him the fastest stock suspended LSX/LTX powered F-Body in the world right now.

Last edited by Vendetta; 06-10-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

But it still proves my point. The LT1 is NOT better then the LS1. In the end it can be equal but along the way to getting there the LS1 has a slight advantage. And for the vast majority of car enthusiasts who won't get out of the 11's the LS1 is a better platform to start with because you don't even need to replace the heads. Just a good cam compliments these cars very well as long as exhaust has been upgraded.

And LS1 prices are dropping too, just not the aftermarket. But now you can find a LS1 for under 10K now and in a few years we will hopefully see some price drops in the heads/cam packages.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
But it still proves my point. The LT1 is NOT better then the LS1. In the end it can be equal but along the way to getting there the LS1 has a slight advantage. And for the vast majority of car enthusiasts who won't get out of the 11's the LS1 is a better platform to start with because you don't even need to replace the heads. Just a good cam compliments these cars very well as long as exhaust has been upgraded.

And LS1 prices are dropping too, just not the aftermarket. But now you can find a LS1 for under 10K now and in a few years we will hopefully see some price drops in the heads/cam packages.
Nobody in here ever said the LT1 was better than the LS1, so you're wasting your time trying to prove a moot point. All we're saying is that LT1s are very capable, and deserve respect for being a potent motor. All too often they're **** on because of the LS1's accomplishments, and it pisses some of us off.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody in here ever said the LT1 was better than the LS1, so you're wasting your time trying to prove a moot point. All we're saying is that LT1s are very capable, and deserve respect for being a potent motor. All too often they're **** on because of the LS1's accomplishments, and it pisses some of us off.
Anyone who thinks the LT1 isn't capable or deserving of respect is just plain stupid. But I havn't really seen anyone in here bashing LT1's as uncapable. Most of these threads here are flexnutz cross posting because he has some vendetta against LS1's right now. And the only negative comments have been kills being questioned because the LT1 was claiming a flawless victory (hey I sound like the guy from mortal combat) against a car that is clearly faster (ET and trap).