Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 vs. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Still, you're the one coming into this thing with a "hate agenda".. rethink what you're saying.

And yes, I do read quite often. I apologize for misunderstanding your sloppy *** run-on sentence. Funny thing is that you're damn near 45 years old, and still can't write in proper English.
I don't need to re-think anything,thank you.
Wow,a college student hits me up for grammer.Thats probably the one thing you're good at.Congrats.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glennster
I don't need to re-think anything,thank you.
Wow,a college student hits me up for grammer.Thats probably the one thing you're good at.Congrats.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FLeXNuTZ
Lol, I've been away for awhile and these threads are still alive. Here is what I did originally that was soooo bad in some peoples' eyes. I noticed a few threads such as "murdered the LT1" and "LT1 goes down hard" and "LT1 Trans Am owned by Volvo" etc. etc. so I figured I'd post a few kills that involved a LT1 winning, even if they weren't mine. Period. I feel that the LT1 owners on this board were being attacked so I fired back. Then you all fired back and I returned fire again, so to speak. As far as I'm concerned this is over and now we all know who most of the haters are. I like the LS1 cars, in fact, I LOVE the LS1 Trans Ams. So I'm not hating on anyone for no reason, I'm simply returning fire when I talk ****.
BS

If you were simply returning fire you would have done it in the threads that offended you. So lets be honest. You started these threads to pick a fight and start a flame war. Congratulations on your victory.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I started new threads so that more people would notice my return fire. I do believe I succeeded in accomplishing that.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula

Isn't the older Mustang 5.0 a better bang for the buck? I keep hearing how fast they can get for cheap.
Look at price differences between LT1 era cars, and 5.0s. Cough.

That sounds like something a ricer would say. IMHO,
Pissed you got smoked for less?

That they do. But that alone wasn't enough for me to overlook the power differences. LT headers + GMMG = (even on a LS1)
Put LTs and GMMG on an LT1. ANYTHING sounds better on an LT1 than an LS1.. but that's really a sidenote.

That's simply not so. The basic heads cam LS1 still beats the basic heads cam LT1. You have to get to Joe Overton type power to really be able to say it's all over. And even then look at Ronnie Duke. It's not over, it's just evened out. But good luck on your quest for 7's
I meant you could take a bolt-on LS1 and it would get SMOKED by an H/C LT1. When both have H/C, it just depends on who has the better flowing heads, and who has the more agressive grind.

I can't believe some of the bs I see around this forum about how the LS1 is so superior.. when half of these guys are still in the 13s. And before you ask, my T/A is not my only car.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 25thAnnivTransAm

Put LTs and GMMG on an LT1. ANYTHING sounds better on an LT1 than an LS1.. but that's really a sidenote.

I meant you could take a bolt-on LS1 and it would get SMOKED by an H/C LT1. When both have H/C, it just depends on who has the better flowing heads, and who has the more agressive grind.

I can't believe some of the bs I see around this forum about how the LS1 is so superior.. when half of these guys are still in the 13s. And before you ask, my T/A is not my only car.
Well put man, couldnt have said it any better, and yes that LT1 does sound better then the LS1 no matter what exhaust, and this is coming from a previous ls1 owner.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Why must LT1's always be put down. Considering how cheap they are, you can spend the same ammount of money on a cheap LT1 and mod the hell out of it for about the price you can find a good used LS1. I planned on doing this but then spent all my mod money on a 05 Harley Night Train. Anyway, one night I had a cocky 00 Trans Am saying how crappy the LT1 cars are. I finally got fed up and told him to race me or shut up. Well I had earlier that day put in the 150 shot and figured this would be a good time to test it. It wasn't pretty from the start. He spun, I hooked. From there it was all downhill. When we finally stopped he was all butt hurt that he got beat.

Was I cheating for using nitrous??? Who cares!!! I put a 500 dollar kit on my 6000 dollar car and beat the **** out of a 13000 dollar car. (I know he paid that much because I was thinking about buying it before I bought my Formula).

LT1 cars are seriously turning into a "best bang for your buck" car. You can find them dirt cheap and easily mod the **** out of them to make them hang with anything. Would I take a LS1 over my LT1, **** yes, I'm not stupid, but for my poor college ***, my little Formula will do me just fine. Maybe someday in the future I can find me a WS6. But until then I will be happy opening up a can on some unsuspecting LS1 owner who thinks LT1's are slow.
I love both LS1s and LT1s, hell I owned two LT1s before I got my LS1.
DopdBrd, were you a poor college kid before or after you bought the 2005 Harley?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is turning into a big pissing contest now...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I started new threads so that more people would notice my return fire. I do believe I succeeded in accomplishing that.
If by that you mean trolling. Then yes you did.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vendetta
This is turning into a big pissing contest now...
Look guys I can write my name on the wall from six feet away!

Seriously though I dont see why this whole LT1 vs LS1 arguement started anyway. The LS1 replaced the LT1 because GM felt it to be the better motor. The ls2 has replaced the LS1 because GM felt it to be the better motor. I'm sure something will replace the LS2 because GM will feel it is a better motor. Anyone see a trend here? No one gives two ***** about what a motor will do after you mod it, as ANYTHING can be made to go fast with a little cash thrown at it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why? I don't subscribe to the ricer argument of "for less then the cost of your car" crap. My point was more aftermarket stuff. And since I don't own a 5.0 I'm only repeating what I heard.

Havn't been smoked yet. At least not by a LT1. My record is 2 and 0. Are you pissed to learn that I am undefeated vs LT1's? I have been beaten by a few vettes (newer ones) and I was destroyed by an old Mustang. But I'm not hung up on win/loss records. I race for a new best ET and if I happen to beat the guy next to me then it's a bonus.

The LT1 does have a stout sound. I won't argue that. But I look at the LS1 as having 50 more horses stock, no optispark, 15 degree heads and a better looking car (my personal preference is LS1 TA looks better then LT1 TA). That to me was too many advantages to give up just to be perceived as "sounding better". Besides, like I said, the LS1 with LT headers and GMMG sounds very nice in it's own rights.

Well thank you captain obvious. You mean if a LT1 has more HP then a LS1 via mods it'll be faster? Wow, there's a news flash.

I can't believe some of the attitudes that some LT1 guys have. It's been about 8 years since the LS1 came out and there is still so much resentment towards GM for making a better motor and F-body owners for actually buying them.

You'd be surprised how many LT1 guys are still in the 13's and 14's. Not everyone wants to or can afford to mod thier cars. My car would be in the 9's if I had 10K in cash to spend.

And my Formula is not my only car either (although I fail to see how that fits into this discussion).
Old 06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCamaro

Seriously though I dont see why this whole LT1 vs LS1 arguement started anyway. The LS1 replaced the LT1 because GM felt it to be the better motor. The ls2 has replaced the LS1 because GM felt it to be the better motor. I'm sure something will replace the LS2 because GM will feel it is a better motor. Anyone see a trend here? No one gives two ***** about what a motor will do after you mod it, as ANYTHING can be made to go fast with a little cash thrown at it.
Amen to that.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

2001stripper - Yes I have an 05 Harley, but the way I see it is if I would have bought the 2000 WS6 I was looking at before I bought my car, I would not have the opportunity to ride with my dad every Sunday mourning. Honestly, some car will never be worth more than that.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Angry

When I first started reading this thread I immediately starting to concoct my post in defense of the LT1, but then something struck me. I decided to do some quick research regarding a motor I remembered as a child.
http://corvettelegends.com/legends.htm
As a quick side note the corvette I read about as a child is the red one posted halfway down the page. I read about it in some old car magazine in my grandmothers antique store, of course I was to dumb to actually buy the old mag, I really wish I would have.
Anyways, stock for stock it will smoke both an lt1 and an ls1, did I forget to mention it was built over 30 years ago.

The point is who gives a ****. It really doesn’t matter what’s faster, better, cheaper, or newer. The big block is the best anyways, no matter how you cut it.

Really though all this fighting and stuff is dumb. Lets refrain from acting like immature ricers (Ricer being the fart tube ****** that would rev at a school bus) When its all said and done we are all car guys. More importantly GM guys, mostly f body and y body, but some others. We all have a common goal of going faster or looking better. Some pick the gen 2, others side with the gen 3, still others prefer the tried and true small block. We all choose a different platform for different reasons. Each having much potential. Arguing about which is superior, or putting down the other, doesn't get anyone anywhere. The fact is this forum and others like it, work much better if we discuss new ways to make power, help people fix problems, and provide and information database for the many vehicles supported here. Rather than bitching about dumb ****. We need to work together to shake the stereotypes about mullets and what not. We need to help each other have the winning edge, whether it’s at the street, or the track. We need to help each other represent GM when it’s up against a ford or a ricer. Wasn’t the reason we all found this place because we were looking for info and advice, it probably wasn't because we were looking for a fight. Instead of wasting our time fighting about which motor is supposedly better. Don't you guys realize we are all a little biased anyways, there area thousands of motors out there. We should give tips on launching and help people find the right stance. What ever happened to just being American and kicking some import ***? It may not have been very nice, but I prefer it to fighting amongst ourselves. I would challenge all of you to try and not put either motor down and appear as neutral as possible in situations (I know this can be very hard). I think it would make this website run much more efficiently, and cause less problems.
The bottom line is its all GM, it’s all good, and it’s all not worth arguing over. Just my feeling, hopefully you guys will agree.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCamaro

Im with you , well put
Old 06-15-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95marokid
When I first started reading this thread I immediately starting to concoct my post in defense of the LT1, but then something struck me. I decided to do some quick research regarding a motor I remembered as a child.
As a quick side note the corvette I read about as a child is the red one posted halfway down the page. I read about it in some old car magazine in my grandmothers antique store, of course I was to dumb to actually buy the old mag, I really wish I would have.
Anyways, stock for stock it will smoke both an lt1 and an ls1, did I forget to mention it was built over 30 years ago.

The point is who gives a ****. It really doesn’t matter what’s faster, better, cheaper, or newer. The big block is the best anyways, no matter how you cut it.

Really though all this fighting and stuff is dumb. Lets refrain from acting like immature ricers (Ricer being the fart tube ****** that would rev at a school bus) When its all said and done we are all car guys. More importantly GM guys, mostly f body and y body, but some others. We all have a common goal of going faster or looking better. Some pick the gen 2, others side with the gen 3, still others prefer the tried and true small block. We all choose a different platform for different reasons. Each having much potential. Arguing about which is superior, or putting down the other, doesn't get anyone anywhere. The fact is this forum and others like it, work much better if we discuss new ways to make power, help people fix problems, and provide and information database for the many vehicles supported here. Rather than bitching about dumb ****. We need to work together to shake the stereotypes about mullets and what not. We need to help each other have the winning edge, whether it’s at the street, or the track. We need to help each other represent GM when it’s up against a ford or a ricer. Wasn’t the reason we all found this place because we were looking for info and advice, it probably wasn't because we were looking for a fight. Instead of wasting our time fighting about which motor is supposedly better. Don't you guys realize we are all a little biased anyways, there area thousands of motors out there. We should give tips on launching and help people find the right stance. What ever happened to just being American and kicking some import ***? It may not have been very nice, but I prefer it to fighting amongst ourselves. I would challenge all of you to try and not put either motor down and appear as neutral as possible in situations (I know this can be very hard). I think it would make this website run much more efficiently, and cause less problems.
The bottom line is its all GM, it’s all good, and it’s all not worth arguing over. Just my feeling, hopefully you guys will agree.
Well put! I always see gm guys fighting with each other over the stupidest ****. If it's not LT1 vs LS1 it's 4th gens vs 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gens, or 350 guys picking on 305 guys. We all love F bodies, the way I see it we're all one big family. Instead of bitching over trivial things we should enjoy our cars.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol, this is still going. I just ask that the LT1 get the respect it deserves for being a strong, reliable, awesome sounding Chevy small block. I'm not going to argue with you any more Darren, you win. I know that the LS1 is superior to the LT1 and you've made that very very clear to all of us. However, I hope and pray that you will meet a LT1 car every day that will absolutely destroy you in a race. I can think of no better Hell to put you through, lol.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Launching!

I love the higher RPM powerband of the LS1.....

But I also love the low end torque of the LT1.....

Damnit
Old 06-16-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol, this is still going. I just ask that the LT1 get the respect it deserves for being a strong, reliable, awesome sounding Chevy small block. I'm not going to argue with you any more Darren, you win. I know that the LS1 is superior to the LT1 and you've made that very very clear to all of us. However, I hope and pray that you will meet a LT1 car every day that will absolutely destroy you in a race. I can think of no better Hell to put you through, lol.
Then you'll be very disappointed for three reasons.

1). I only race at the track. I have three kids to support and know better then to risk my money, my car and my life for some stupid bragging rights. Maybe in my youth I might have been dumb enough to street race. But since I had very slow Cavaliers back then, racing wasn't an option

2). I'll see if Western NY is any better but back in Illinois I was seeing way more Corvettes, Mustangs and imports. I only ran one other LS1 and two LT1's in many runs down the track at Rt. 66 in Joliet. I lost to the LS1 in a very close race, beat both LT1's and lost to numerous Vettes.

3). I wouldn't care. I never care who I line up against at the track. I want to beat my best ET and that's it. If I cross the finish line first it's a bonus for sure, but not my primary goal. I would rather lose to a fast car and break my best ET then win a race and fall a few tenths short. But that's just me.

LT1's being fast doesn't bother me. LT1's beating LS1's (even my own) doesn't bother me. What does annoy me is LT1 guys who have practically no mods claim to have walked bolt-on LS1's (many claim to walk them on the highway which really makes no sense) but won't admit they beat a bad driver. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 102 trap speed cars don't walk 107 trap speed cars (with similair gears) on the highway without bad driving playing a part.

The quickest ET right now belongs to the LS1 (Thank ya Ronnie). But the fastest trap speed right now belongs to a LT1. That tells me with enough time, money and desire both engines have the same monster potential and deserve to be respected.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95marokid

I agree 100% with what you say and awesome article on the ZL-1 Corvette. However, it wasn't the most powerful motor ever to come out of Detroit. This distinction goes to the 427 Cammer made by Ford. This engine produced 616 hp w/ a single 4-barrel carb and 657 hp w/ dual 4-barrels. This engine was designed to take out the Hemi. It was banned from NASCAR for being too powerful. Here is a link: http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml