Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TT 350Z VS SuperCharged Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those cars were really putting out the power they claimed, it would be a much closer race. someone was lying.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EightBallTTA
dudes, it's not hard to make 525 in an LS1 with a supercharger... You're talking about a car that weighs ~3600 lbs with 525 rwhp racing a car that weighs ~3200 lbs with more horsepower... I would have put my money on the Z also. He got pulled about as hard as I would expect.
dude his camaro would need more than a sc to make 525rwhp, and by the way that z pulled on him, either the z was making way more power, or the z28 wasn't making what they claimed. also when you get the mass moving, 125 or so pounds won't make that much of a difference if the z and z28 made what they claimed.....
that z28 got ripped good.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m8d2run
dude his camaro would need more than a sc to make 525rwhp, and by the way that z pulled on him, either the z was making way more power, or the z28 wasn't making what they claimed. also when you get the mass moving, 125 or so pounds won't make that much of a difference if the z and z28 made what they claimed.....
that z28 got ripped good.
oh Im not saying I think the camaro was telling the truth about his power output, but some of the posts made it seem like 525 rwhp was some impossible goal for a boosted LS1, which it ISN'T. most guys won't put JUST a supercharger or turbocharger on their cars without some supporting mods to go along with it, i.e. a fully upgraded exhaust, intake, and fuel system. Supercharger @ 8-10 psi + good flowing exhaust + adequate fueling + potent tune = 500+ rwhp EASY. Go hang out in the FI forum and check out what guys are putting down with totally stock longblocks.

Also, I would consider a 400 lb difference in raceweight to be a significant factor at similar power levels. In addition, the coefficient of drag of that camaro is in the neighborhood of 0.35, whereas the 350Z hovers at 0.29-0.30. The Z had him before the race even started. Couple the difference in raceweights and coefficients of drag with a camaro driver who lies about the power output of his own car, and you have a recipe for the video you just watched.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Also, I would consider a 400 lb difference in raceweight to be a significant factor at similar power levels. In addition, the coefficient of drag of that camaro is in the neighborhood of 0.35, whereas the 350Z hovers at 0.29-0.30. The Z had him before the race even started. Couple the difference in raceweights and coefficients of drag with a camaro driver who lies about the power output of his own car, and you have a recipe for the video you just watched.
Once again, it's only 150lbs... What's drag cooficient? Sorry for a boob question.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Basically, the stopping force wind creates against a car's aerodynamics with rising speed. Better aerodynamics definitely favor the 350Z during that match-up. That aided in the 350Z's already potent acceleration. Of course...

Firebirds/TA's have a better drag coefficient because of our beautiful curves.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

oh Im not saying I think the camaro was telling the truth about his power output, but some of the posts made it seem like 525 rwhp was some impossible goal for a boosted LS1, which it ISN'T. most guys won't put JUST a supercharger or turbocharger on their cars without some supporting mods to go along with it, i.e. a fully upgraded exhaust, intake, and fuel system. Supercharger @ 8-10 psi + good flowing exhaust + adequate fueling + potent tune = 500+ rwhp EASY. Go hang out in the FI forum and check out what guys are putting down with totally stock longblocks.

Hey, nice sig.

That's what a good buzz in front of the computer will produce.

It's nice to have a boosted LS1 on this thread. You will have better idea: If you had to pin a number on that Camaro's rwhp, given the pull from an accepted 560 rwhp for that 350Z, what would you say?
Old 08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Teching In

I definetely give it up to his Z. He raced my bro-in-law's 03 Cobra (dyno'd 476 rwhp 483 tq) last night and pretty much walked the Cobra from 60mph on up. We got to talk to the owner after a few runs and he is one cool guy. He had said that he raced a blown SS the night before and killed it. After watching the video, there is no way that the SS had 525 rwhp. At least my bro-in-law gave him a pretty good run though.

Now I will never underestimate any import...
Old 08-21-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if the Camaro is makin near the power the 350z is adn they have near teh same power it wouldnt have been a killin like it was. The camaro has ALOT mroe under the curve adn that helps alot. Not that a 525 HP Camaro woiuld beat a 550 RWHP 350z, but it definatly would have been ALOT closer. I watched both videos adn i hear ALOT of exhaust from teh camar but no whine. There is alot of idiots out there that lie just for lyings sake. Im hopin you came upon on of those. Either that or the worst driver ever. lol GJ

John
Old 08-21-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Hey, nice sig.

That's what a good buzz in front of the computer will produce.

It's nice to have a boosted LS1 on this thread. You will have better idea: If you had to pin a number on that Camaro's rwhp, given the pull from an accepted 560 rwhp for that 350Z, what would you say?
ha, if that camaro really does have a supercharger, I would say at the absolute most 425-450 rwhp. but seeing as I am starting to believe that he didnt have one, probably south of 400...
Old 08-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Teching In

The car was supercharged people.... 110%. Like I said, he may have been lying about his power output. If he was really making 450ish like some of you say, then over 100rwhp difference will do that.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Those were the worst videos ever. The Camaro just played you.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

like i said i don't doubt a z28 can make over 500rwhp, but that particular couldn't have over 500rwhp and gotten walked like that, it takes a turbo about a second or so to bulid up boost, a sc is instant, and making that much hp he should have pulled on that z until the boost kicked in.. he may have had a sc, but i doubt the over 500rwhp
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like i said i don't doubt a z28 can make over 500rwhp, but that particular couldn't have over 500rwhp and gotten walked like that, it takes a turbo about a second or so to bulid up boost, a sc is instant, and making that much hp he should have pulled on that z until the boost kicked in.. he may have had a sc, but i doubt the over 500rwhp
a supercharger is in no way, form, or fashion an instant source of boost. my properly sized turbo will reach full boost before any supercharger will.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

a supercharger is in no way, form, or fashion an instant source of boost. my properly sized turbo will reach full boost before any supercharger will.
I have driven turbo'd cars/trucks and supercharged cars/trucks. An I have to disagree with this quote.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X_03_Cobra_guy
I have driven turbo'd cars/trucks and supercharged cars/trucks. An I have to disagree with this quote.
I'm referring to centrifugal superchargers only, not positive displacement S/C's. So I correct my previous statement to only pertain to those. Most likely if he was supercharged, he was running a centrifugal compressor.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 PM
9 Second Club

daaaaaaamn good kill, i too doubt the z28 is making that much power, with a sc alone the z28 would be making about 400-415 rwhp not 525 , nevertheless great kill. i'm in the bay area also, and work in mountain view, hope i get a chance to smoke you i know i don't stand a chance but i would run you anyway
I agree... that looked alot more like a 525 at the crank vs RWHP to me. I am making 500RWHP on stock lower half.... I would cry if I got beat by a rice burner.... Not saying it cant happen... but I will cry none the less.

Oh and Nice kill anyways!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

you calling a tt350z a rice burner? Come on man, you gotta be better than this....
Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Some people just don't have a clue.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
you calling a tt350z a rice burner? Come on man, you gotta be better than this....
I'm not trying to start a huge argument, just throwing in what my perspective of what a "rice burner" is. IMHO, a rice burner is anything built by the Japanese. That might be mistaken for a racist comment but it wasn't intended to be. Honestly though, Nissan/Honda/Acura/Mitsubishi/etc....there all rice burners, whether they are turbo charged/supercharged/or whatever! Now, a Focus/Jetta/Cavalir/etc. (which some classify as rice) aren't from Japan so I wouldn't consider them rice burners.......I'd classify them as Imports! All are equally crappy though....Unless your goal is to save money on gas. Which is the only good reason I can come up with actually driving one!.........
Old 08-23-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the camaro have one of those electric SC's from E-bay?