Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 vs. 04STi

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
How's 285awhp is more than 310rwhp? He's loosing his power through the drivetrain and making 285awhp, vette is making 310rwhp... 285<310....

Stock vette should weigh about 3230lbs with no driver. I thought STIs were a little heavier than 3200lbs?
AWD dyno's are very different than your typical dyno. It takes a lot more power to put down those numbers AWD than it does for 2 wheels to put down a little over 300. I couldn't tell you the exact calcuation, but throw the 2 engines on a engine dyno and I bet the Subi engine would have the v8 looking not as impressive.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
How's 285awhp is more than 310rwhp? He's loosing his power through the drivetrain and making 285awhp, vette is making 310rwhp... 285<310....

Stock vette should weigh about 3230lbs with no driver. I thought STIs were a little heavier than 3200lbs?
i just looked that up now and they weigh around the same, but the vette still makes more power and is rwd.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
AWD dyno's are very different than your typical dyno. It takes a lot more power to put down those numbers AWD than it does for 2 wheels to put down a little over 300. I couldn't tell you the exact calcuation, but throw the 2 engines on a engine dyno and I bet the Subi engine would have the v8 looking not as impressive.
you can make a v10 or v12 engine not as impressive when u have a forced inducted car. its just a differrent way to make power. plus i kno for a fact awd kills u up top unless u have significantly more horsepower than ur opponent
Old 08-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay maybe you missed it Slow Vette. I just said on a nomal dyno, not the one I was on that is know to be low, I'd be putting down the same numbers as a C5. If we weight the same and put down the same numbers how can it not be a drivers race? I clearly stated I only ran up to 80mph. Again it was an auto I ran on top of it. How do you not get it? Clearly I have the advantage. If it were a stick on the C5 it would be a REAL race.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Okay maybe you missed it Slow Vette. I just said on a nomal dyno, not the one I was on that is know to be low, I'd be putting down the same numbers as a C5. If we weight the same and put down the same numbers how can it not be a drivers race? I clearly stated I only ran up to 80mph. Again it was an auto I ran on top of it. How do you not get it? Clearly I have the advantage. If it were a stick on the C5 it would be a REAL race.
ur right i missed the part that u said u only went to 80, so equal weigh, equal power, but awd against rwd from a roll? and aerodynamics? unless u trap really high in the quarter mile, but like i said before anything can happen on the street
Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I got a stick shift.........And I promise I will only have to use the first 3 for a real race........maybe 2 for a REAL race
Old 08-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Launching!

I'm sure you would only need that, but you're not a stock C5 either. I know who I can and can't mess with. I am always weary when I hear that lumpy note.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

how do you know its low? thats usually an excuse someone uses when thery dyno'd less than they would have liked.

And maybe this one is more accurate and the 'other' dyno's you refer to, and they are dynoing higher than they should.

Also, if you pulled away and weren't racing (as per your original post) the Vette would probably have been in 4th being an auto, before you hit it. unless they where holding it in gear, but if they where they probably would have pulled more than 3/4 lenght while you where off boost (what does a Scooby make off boost low rpm - 100bhp or so, seriously low CR needs boost for power).

So we'll assume that they where in a high gear, if they floored it there would probably have been about 1-1.5 second delay for auto box to kick down. It would then also depend which gear it kicked down too, to determine how fast it should have been. If they where rolling, it possibly only kicked down to 2nd.

So I can certainly beleve a 10-20mph roll to 80mph (a race lasting no more than 10 seconds, but probably nearer 8 seconds) with you on the ball being an easy win. And allowing you to literally walk away (2 car lenghts I think you said).

If the Vette driver was more ready for it or as you stated a manual it may have been closer.

So - Nice win!

And I reckon you Sti is probably a good match up against a well driven stock or mild bolton C5. Esp from a dig.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Given all the dynos here in New England, this dyno is well known to produce much lower numbers on all cars. Cars that have the exact set up that can pull high dyno numbers on other dynos pull low for some reason. It's no ricer thing. I knowingly went to this dyno because I had all my work done at this shop. If I went to the other dynos around I'd guarantee to have higher numbers.

As far as boost numbers, they vary from gear to gear. For example I can not reach max boost in 1st gear. It takes 2nd or 3rd to hit my max boost. One of the things the STi can do is still get some impressive torque while not in optimal boost. The 2.5L makes much more tq then the orignal 2.0L.