Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GN's vs. 03'/04' SVT Cobras

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnxs
Joe,

Going to MSC 4.0 tomorrow (our bi-annual track rental)?
No Id like too tho, I just finished my car forged 14#s of boost and a small shot and I need to finish getting some bugs worked out and when that all done I might be selling it (I had a great offer plus I need the money). Actually I am lookin to pick up another GN myself
Old 09-09-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

This post says alot about the GN's. Here we are comparing it to a car at the top of the food chain and it is 18 years old and a six. They sure do look mean as hell too. Chevy rules. JK
Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i agree, GNs are so nasty and such sleepers. The first one I ever ran into was a completely stock looking GN, the guy had even removed the GN badges, so I didnt even think it was a GN at first. I had just got my headers on and was pumped and lookin for someone to run against. So im at this light next to this stock lookin GN and the light turns green and I take off, with the GN slowly leavin the light, then all of a sudden it was like someone tied an anchor to my bumper, because the GN passed me like I wasnt even moving. I was in shock, couldnt believe how fast it was. After toasting me he let out of it and I caught up to him and we eventually were next to each other at the next light and asked him what he had done. He said it was on race gas with some engine work done, an upgraded turbo, and exhaust, just to name a few mods. To this day I still remeber that "race" and have not been pulled that hard again by any car that i have raced. Sure, there are faster cars out there but this thing was so stock looking and sounding that I would have never though that it was a 600rwhp+ beast!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

I've bolted everything on my Turbo Buick, hehe...Traps 126+ mph in the 1/4...Still working out bugs...My billet main caps are bolted on, wait, no they are studs with nuts holding them on...oh well...

$0 mods - Cobra
$5K in mods it would be close
$10K+ in mods - give the nod to the GN, Gn's hook, so they win.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LC2nLS6
I've bolted everything on my Turbo Buick, hehe...Traps 126+ mph in the 1/4...Still working out bugs...My billet main caps are bolted on, wait, no they are studs with nuts holding them on...oh well...

$0 mods - Cobra
$5K in mods it would be close
$10K+ in mods - give the nod to the GN, Gn's hook, so they win.
Hard to argue with that.

Cobras can hook though, just not like a GN:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/0501mmff_videos/
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

One thing many people are leaving out...the impressive GN's out there on the street are running race gas or alky.
The '03/'04 Cobra will get well into the 10's on pump gas and boost alone, and now they're pushing 9's on boost only. That's not even with a hit on 'em.
I personally wouldn't spray the Buick, and most Buick guys don't.
And while the Buicks can hook, for the most part they don't handle or stop worth a ****.
You won't get a turbo Buick much past low-mid 11's on the stock longblock (and usually at that point you've already got a cam in it). Ported heads and intake with the right turbo and convertor (and tire) will get you into the 10's with all the other bolt-ons and suspension. Those 1.5 short times aren't usually on stock suspension. At that point, most have a rear bar, bags, at least boxed lowers and some have adjustable uppers and are on a 28" tire. Once you hit that point, the stock shortblock becomes suspect. A girdle or steel caps and forged pistons are in order.
Truthfully, I think the Cobra will be easier to get into the 11's and the 10's, and it'll probably do it more reliably and on pump gas. IMO, we'll start seeing quite a few single digit '03/'04 cars in the coming months. Lots more owners are running a hit on them and stepping up to turbo, automatics, etc..
Not to take anything away from turbo Buicks, they'll fly. But it'll cost you.
S.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Default im gonna take the cobra

heres my example of my own personal car, 300 in new flowmaster catback, 200 for new mac offroad h pipe, 79.99 for new lfp 9" kn filter, 40 dollars for used lightning pulley(2.93) and 74" gatorback belt, 350 for new sct xcalibrator, 150 for conservative dyno tune 11.3 air fuel ratio no advance in timing, 400 for bfg 275 drag radials, pulled 140 lbs in total weight, the car runs 11.70s @ 119-120mph with 60 foots in the 1.7x range, so for around 1500 including tires the cars running 11.70s ... one guy said 2500 bucks 11.50s in his grand national, that would be easily accomplished by me sending out my blower plenum and tb to be ported ( 400 bucks) i could then put a 6lb lower on there and a heat exchanger just to be safe and still have money to go to the bar afterwards
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

I went 12.8's @ 104-105 in the Buick with the following...

1. Racetronix FP/hotwire kit...$160
2. Bosch 237 FPR...$40
3. Adj. wastegate actuator...$70
4. Postons air box base lid...$10
5. RA93 chip...$25 (used)
6. Test pipe...$40
7. Fan and TCC lockup switches...$10
8. Billet inlet bell (no performance gain...but I'll list it)...$40
9. 235-60/15 BFG DR's...$265 mounted and balanced
10. Scanmaster...$220 (Ramchargers special)

Raceweight was 3,656 with driver and 1/4 tank...NO weight removed. By my tally, that's a hair under $900 and it's debateable whether or not you'd really consider the SM and DR's in the cost because you'll need them to get faster than high-12's anyway. Also, you can pick up a few tenths and a few mph with a race chip and race gas. I was trying to get 12's on a street chip.

I ran this combo for about a year, then added a TA49 turbo and 36# injectors ($600 package deal used) and a 3" downpipe with matching test pipe ($350). I had already gone to a Hooker catback ($250). After this, and on good gas the car went consistent 12.0's@114-115mph on untouched suspension and 26/10.5 ET Streets. I was running out of gear with the 26" tire and didn't switch to a 28" before changing combos. It also would have likely gone quicker if I was running a bit more octane and boost.

Note that the rear hasn't been touched. That's something that usually isn't the case with the '03/'04 Cobras if you want to run anything more than a DR on them.
S.