Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

200mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, USA is so shitty....... Other countrys it takes so much money and time etc to start driving. And 100mph to me really isnt fast, ill cruise at 100 alot if theres not much traffic etc.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm originally from Russia and they have way shittier roads and cars there. Most roads between the cities are 2 lane roads = 1 each way. Average travel speed there i would say is 90 mph...some go 120 and above...on worst roads on the planet, with worst cars and there are less accidents than in the US. It is also harder to get license there and everyone drives manual. Women mostly don't drive. I agree with statement that american driver is not educated enough. US is one of the very few countries with licenses allowed before 18 y.o.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racehead
80 mph is NOT fast. It's actually pretty slow. In other countrys where driver training and practice are at much higher levels than here, 100 mph is the speed at which grandmothers in minivans safely take their grandchildren to bible study. Yes of course it is, however the chances of the "average" american driver in their average under maintained car wrecking, compared to a highly skilled driver in a well maintained car is like 100 to 1 or more. Is it speed that is the barometer of danger here, or skill ? Do you really understand just how poorly trained the average american driver really is ?
it's not just that, there is one other MAJOR factor which people seem to be missing.

It matters not how good a driver you are or what car you are in. It's the other people on the road.

You could be the best driver there is, in the safest most advanced car there is. But someone else can still cause you to have an accident.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Launching!

that's what he was saying...Poorly driveing ed. american driver..those others are
Old 10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
it's not just that, there is one other MAJOR factor which people seem to be missing.

It matters not how good a driver you are or what car you are in. It's the other people on the road.

You could be the best driver there is, in the safest most advanced car there is. But someone else can still cause you to have an accident.
No we're not missing this fact. The fact that you're missing is that a highly trained driver is trained in much more than simple car control. Situational awareness, instant "other driver response" prediction are a couple of the many things that professional training will instill into you. One of the race schools I attended was Proformance racing school the first of the school deals with nothing more than street survival skills. Some of the things they teach you is to NOT look at the car in front of you, but rather the car 1-2 cars in front of him. And what to do and what to be looking at if a kid rides his bike out in front of you/car pulls out/dog runs out in front etc. ( hint: don't look at the kid on the bike, or at what you're trying to avoid ) This is VERY difficult and takes much instruction and practice to do correctly in real life. There are dozens of other situations that occur every day to people who are not "programmed" for the correct response.

Driving a car safely is NOT just about driving YOUR car safely. It's about not putting yourself and car in risky situations, and about how to get out of them when you find yourself there anyway.

It's very difficult to explain to someone who doesn't have these skills, just what they are, and why they're important. In other words .... if you're not aware of what you don't know, then how are you going to realize that you need to know it ? Once you've spent the time and $$ to train yourself it's easy to look back and say "man I didn't know xxx back then". But to try to suggest to somebody that their driving skills are lacking, when they may have been driving without incident for many years, is a very rough row to hoe. No one can totally eliminate all risk of driving, but you can definitely eliminate MOST of it IMO.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racehead
No we're not missing this fact. The fact that you're missing is that a highly trained driver is trained in much more than simple car control. Situational awareness, instant "other driver response" prediction are a couple of the many things that professional training will instill into you. One of the race schools I attended was Proformance racing school the first of the school deals with nothing more than street survival skills. Some of the things they teach you is to NOT look at the car in front of you, but rather the car 1-2 cars in front of him. And what to do and what to be looking at if a kid rides his bike out in front of you/car pulls out/dog runs out in front etc. ( hint: don't look at the kid on the bike, or at what you're trying to avoid ) This is VERY difficult and takes much instruction and practice to do correctly in real life. There are dozens of other situations that occur every day to people who are not "programmed" for the correct response.

Driving a car safely is NOT just about driving YOUR car safely. It's about not putting yourself and car in risky situations, and about how to get out of them when you find yourself there anyway.

It's very difficult to explain to someone who doesn't have these skills, just what they are, and why they're important. In other words .... if you're not aware of what you don't know, then how are you going to realize that you need to know it ? Once you've spent the time and $$ to train yourself it's easy to look back and say "man I didn't know xxx back then". But to try to suggest to somebody that their driving skills are lacking, when they may have been driving without incident for many years, is a very rough row to hoe. No one can totally eliminate all risk of driving, but you can definitely eliminate MOST of it IMO.
I agree with all that you're saying. But it's still angled from the point of view of the driver in the fast car. On the road no matter how good you are you can not control the other drivers.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I agree with all that you're saying. But it's still angled from the point of view of the driver in the fast car. On the road no matter how good you are you can not control the other drivers.
Being from England, I can see why you'd express pessimism about the topic; most driver's on the road are different, and bad, the world over

Noone's saying to drive at speeds above 80, 100, or 120 mph all the time. We are merely stating that driving at such speeds can, and in most situations, is safe to do on occaision given the properly educated driver in a well-maintained vehicle.

To paraprhase Racehead: if you take the time to learn how to drive properly, you can actually avoid accidents much more easily and safely then the next guy.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am a little suprized that no one mentioned how different the cars feel and act at 160+. I had my modded Stealth TT up to 165+mph and it was still pulling but man was it a strange feeling going that fast. I cant put into words how the car felt. I guess the input feeling was kinda heavy but also quick at the same time. The Blitz boost and power meeter were buzzing at me but the fat pig was hauling butt. The boost meeter was yelling about the 15+psi and the power meter was yelling about the HP reading being a little on the high side. lol I wanted to peg the speed but the reading goes to 180 and I didnt have the guts.

I cant wait to get the Iroc done and see what it can do now. I alread peged the speedo with the little 305TPI I am sure the 383 LS1 will not have a problm.