Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

got challanged by a 450hp 1st gen GSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but here I'll give you an example of what reality is. I was beat by a 240SX with a worked Turbo engine. by exactly my nose to his bumper.... what did it take for him to beat me? It took my car being down by 2 burnt plug wires with a rediculous miss which left me at a max RPM of 4,800, open headers that left me with the richest condition ever... and the noise so lound it retarded the timing worse than Corky from life goes on, not to mention a clutch that was already burnt down to the buttons, and covered in oil from a leaky rear main. All that... and from a roll still.... this guy strugled to surpass the Z. It was honestly hillarious... the look of accomplishment on his face as if he beat an F1 car, but only to barely defeat a Z on it's last leg.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

What did all of that have to do with anything. Power is power no matter what car it is in given similar weights. DSM are not that bad if people realize what they are and what there weak points are but that goes for ANY used car. How many DSM's have you owned by chance? I also dont see why you are going on and on about them becasue last time I checked Opti's are not the most reliable ignition system out there and the 10 bolt is a joke.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Teching In

My buddy has a 2nd gen AWD GSX (1997) stroked with a 1st gen bottom end (2.4L) & loads of work done to the trans & suspension. I don't know why anyone would insult these cars, frankly, it's an absolute beast with the upgraded turbo & fuel system. Since he's built the thing it hasn't seemed to have a problem, either, although he did get crankwalk, which is what instigated the build up in the first place...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
DSM's are mediocre cars with mediocre AWD, and mediocre ******* performance, and they aren't worth a **** becasue they break all the time. Who can't have an Laser, Talon, or Eclipse for under 1500 bucks? The 2nd hand lots round here are filled with them buy the dozens. I have yet to see one that doesn't break, or hasn't broken. Like any turbo car you can add a larger turbo, and pump up the boost... whoop de doo... I make 300 hp now... that takes almost 15minutes to generate peak. I've beat these cars to ****... and they seem to get slower by the dozen.
Riiight.. I've seen my share of F-bodies in the crusher before.

but here I'll give you an example of what reality is. I was beat by a 240SX with a worked Turbo engine. by exactly my nose to his bumper.... what did it take for him to beat me? It took my car being down by 2 burnt plug wires with a rediculous miss which left me at a max RPM of 4,800, open headers that left me with the richest condition ever... and the noise so lound it retarded the timing worse than Corky from life goes on, not to mention a clutch that was already burnt down to the buttons, and covered in oil from a leaky rear main. All that... and from a roll still.... this guy strugled to surpass the Z. It was honestly hillarious... the look of accomplishment on his face as if he beat an F1 car, but only to barely defeat a Z on it's last leg.
So get your car finished and race him again if youre so confident of beating him. You run what you brung in a street race.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
My buddy went to UTI in PA, and i must say there were some pretty fast cars around there, but like anywhere else there are people that talk big and there are people that run big...

lets just hope hes a big talker...
Just curious... Did you buddy, who's from PA go to UTI? Or, did your buddy go to UTI in PA? Cuz, there isn't a UTI in PA.

I went to the Glendale Heights (Chicago) campus of UTI.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, for the guy who started this thread and has mentioned more than once his distaste for the guys going to UTI... You're blanketing the entire student body of the school as being a bunch of ricerish wannabe street racers who wont back up their claims.

First, I'd like to say that I went to UTI. I never challenged anyone to a race.

Second, Yes, there are a few fucktards at that school that think their cars are untouchable. However, most know the limits of what they've got. But they also know the limits of what you've got.

I made quite a few bucks betting on the street races around that place because we knew what to look for. You're likely not going to fool that kid. If he claims he's making 450 horsepower. He very well could be.

Tip for you. If you race him, take him up on doing it from a roll. If you race him from a dig, he'll probably kill you. I've seen those AWD cars launch from 5000 RPMs. They hook and they're gone.

Another tip, you pick what speed you race from. Pick your power range. If you let him pick his, he'll destroy you. He knows when and where his turbo spools. Do you?

Good luck. And please, quit bagging on the kids at my Alma Matar.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol...so basically..your a ricer using all of these excuses as to why you lost.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Teching In

If you're speaking in terms of races, does it really matter what brand it is, so long as it's fast?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW. I bet you feel special.

Most guys who put SR's in the 240's have old tired japanese motors in them. probably in the sam condition you rmotor was in. Now the few guys that take it beyond the initial 4-5k dollar swap end up with very small turbo's the gt28r "dico-potatoe" it gives instant spool and is awsome for roadracing and drift not much else as the turbo is only good for about 350whp with a good setup. so you were both at about the same hp. he might have had less a stco sr20 pus down between 220-245 bhp depending on the year.

And you know what it's a good thing that the kid was happy he beat you because he didn't know your car was worse of than his he beat you fair and squaer and hopefully it will motivate him to mod his car more so when you run into him again he can walk you.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage

My thought exactly.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sparetire
A 440WHP Evo or DSM would slaughter a bolt on SS unless the SS was spraying. Even then it would be close from a dig. Chances are the guy did not have 440 or he was running low boost..

anyone to say something that stupid... doesn't own a car. especially not one with 400hp which is what a Bolt on SS would be making.
A 450-500whp Evo or GSX is a 10scecond car with a good driver. 440whp would get you low 11's easy. Also Evo's don't pull very hard over 120-130mph unless you have a much bigger turbo.

CamaroSS621-If your friend really does have a 480AWHP Evo then there is noway you killed him unless he really can't drive or your running 9's.

Im not trying to bash anyone and I'll be the first to admit that from a roll Evo's and GSX's aren't that fast unless they have big turbo's but from a dig if they have someone that knows how to drive behind the wheel they are very fast. The 12.3 I ran in mine was with about $1500 in mods on 92oct.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Launching!

I can't read all of the comments at once... so I'll respond to the guy who wrote least...

If 450-500whp Evo or GSX ran 10's I think everyone would have a graage full of them. Back up some reference... loved to see it. not my best friends fathers boyfriend stories. IT would depend on where when, and how the car makes the power. There's no such thing as an easy 11 or easy 10 unless you brought a Mclaren.

And for the guy who said something about complaining about losing... I was giving an example of how lame ricers are. Ifyou can barely pull away from a dying Z.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage

just the kind of response I'd expect from a guy with an "SS" shift **** listed as a mod.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIevo
Originally Posted by Sparetire
A 450-500whp Evo or GSX is a 10scecond car with a good driver. 440whp would get you low 11's easy. Also Evo's don't pull very hard over 120-130mph unless you have a much bigger turbo.

Sorry man, I really don't buy that...I know a guy with a 625 WHP GSX running 10.6 & he's a great driver...GT35R turbo (i think, I'm no expert on this stuff) ... 450-500 running 10s, I haven't ever seen that, and I've got loads of dsm friends..
Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Curt Brown ran a 10.9@124 and he is on the stock turbo in a '03 Evo which is only good for around 450whp. http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...9&page=3&pp=15 Maybe I was a bit quick to sound like its easy but it is possible with a great driver. You have to remember that Eclipses are much lighter cars too. You can be well into the 11's with under 400whp as many people have done so.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Fair enough, I remember there are virtually stock LS1s that have run 12.8 or so, so I won't argue with that. 10.9 on a stock turbo is ridiculous :O. As far as weight is concerned, I gutted most of the back and got lighter rims and replaced the hood and the weight of my 94 Formula is only a slight bit higher than my friends 97 GSX. (I should say was, actually, with my suspension upgrades, roll cage, etc. I'm probably a good deal heavier than him now.) How much do those things weigh? I'd assume that most of the weight of an EVO would be in the transmission, transfer case, etc.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Mitsubishi, although I've had 2 friends who had crank walk with the 2nd gen eclipse. They sure screwed that one up.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Evo's are pretty heavy, about 3100-3300 depending on the model I belive. GSX's are around 2800-2900. I agree that the 1st gen Eclipses had alot of mechanical problems but the can be made to go extremely fast for very little money.

I guess its true that everything comes down to the driver and conditions though cause I raced another Evo at the track with more mods (cams and intercooler piping) and he was lighter (no sunroof) and had the better turbo ('05 model) and I was beating him by 3 and 4 car lengths, just cause he couldn't launch or shift good.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Launching!

DSM's are mediocre cars with mediocre AWD, and mediocre ******* performance, and they aren't worth a **** becasue they break all the time. Who can't have an Laser, Talon, or Eclipse for under 1500 bucks? The 2nd hand lots round here are filled with them buy the dozens. I have yet to see one that doesn't break, or hasn't broken. Like any turbo car you can add a larger turbo, and pump up the boost... whoop de doo... I make 300 hp now... that takes almost 15minutes to generate peak. I've beat these cars to ****... and they seem to get slower by the dozen.
Thats what people say when they find they cant just buy every hot part and go as fast as they wanted with a DSM without maitenance on a decade old car. You'll find people like that all over dsmtuners and such. I have yet to see any car that doesnt break or hasnt broken.

140K miles. I bought it at 80K. I have beaten on this thing relentlessly. Maitenance from 80 to 140+:
3 half shafts.
2 Wheel bearings
1 clutch. (factory orginial at 107K)
Timing belt/tnesioner/waterpump (better safe than sorry, especially when you know the previous owner was, ahh, maitenance challenged)
Some boost leaks
Tires
brakepads/front rotors
fluids
valve cover gasket.
filters.

And its the first car I ever bought. Had hand me downs previously. The 97 Explorer I had previous to it managed to lose all its clutch hydraulics at 72,000 miles. And I love Fords. First vehicle ever was 90 Ranger 2.3. God I misss that thing.

But basicly. Dont be an ***.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Heatmaker:"anyone to say something that stupid... doesn't own a car. especially not one with 400hp which is what a Bolt on SS would be making."

So your saying a bolt on SS makes 400WHP. I didnt know a cam was now a bolt on. Yeah, I needed to remove a freinds radiator to help him put on his lid on too. And it will beat a 450WHP car that has better traction, less weight, and likely more aggresive gearing. Wow.

I tell you what, take a look at what other F-Body lovers are saying in this thread and figure out just how much smarter you are than all of us.

Im done wasting time on you and this thread.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, to the person who said they see tonnes of AWD DSM's, LS1 F-bods are a dime a dozen and on every fricken street corner for sale where I used to live (McAllen, TX) I mean, its hard to find a dealer without at least 1 or 2 WS6 code cars. So what?? They're good cars, popular. THey outnumber the Fox's down there from what i saw.

Quick Reply: got challanged by a 450hp 1st gen GSX