Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Race Gas, Stock lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Gas, Stock lt1?

I had a real close race with a car, were I won one and he won one but both races were bad, I wanna make sure I win tommorow night, I want to use racing gas, Is this a bad Idea? Also any other tricks to make my car faster for the night?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Resident

Race Gas wont do sh*t for a stock engine, it may even cause problims.

Chuck some weight, get rid of the spare tire/jack, rear seats... ect
Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race gas will only make your wallet lighter! Spend your money on mods instead.

Now, a little nitromethane might be useful...

Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

i agree chuck out that spare and lift oh and the back seat.
and not a full tank of gas either
Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 AM
Launching!

Yeah race gas will make you slower, put lighter air in the tires, change the blinker fluid and the trans belt and you'll be winning that race
Old 02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Race gas very well may SLOW you down....it won't help if you're stock or basically stock...

I say either find a friend with an extra N2O kit

Or just get rid of some weight, that should help...Maybe borrow some tires from somebody or something, to get better traction...

-Will
Old 02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to win and its tomorrow, run him at 1/4th tank, that should be the equivalent of a few 10ths.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Resident

well, i imagine your car has quite a few miles on it since it's an LT1. you wanna win? drive to advance auto and pick up a 5 dollar bottle of SEAFOAM. seafoam your car. you'll be sure to pick up lost horsepower over the years. if you're unfamiliar with seafoam, you suck it into your engine cylinders through the brake booster cable, turn off your car and let it sit for 10-20 mins and start your car back up. let it run for 10 minutes, then take it out for a hard 15 minute drive and beat the ***** off your car. you'll clean out 10 years and 80,000 miles worth of junk from your cylinders. think i'm playing? i did it 2 months ago and completely smoked out the white horse pike with a cloud of blue smoke 1/8 mile long (only blue smoke my car has ever seen). i picked up some power and 2 mpg and i only have a V6 '95 firebird. i GUARANTEE if you do this, you'll pick up all that lost power over the years. it's the quickest, cheapest way to improve your performance. like i said, since your car is obviously older and has a lot of mileage being an LT1 and all, a quick 10hp gained back isn't hard to believe. try it out...and whoop his ***.

between the seafoam, removing the spare tire and jack, and a 1/4 tank of gas, you'll have no problem in winning.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Ya what ever you do don't use racing gas in a stock engine. Lose some weight mabe some octane booster from STP or gum out Fuel injector cleaner no S@@t work wonders when you want a just alittle more out of the motor but thats about it. Racing fuel depending on what grade you can get but it can and will burn holes in pistons, frie rings, and generaly f@ck things up. Now thats all depending on what grade you use but still not a good idea. Lose the spare and jack, Back seats, run on 1/4 tank, and run about 25-30 Psi in ur back tires to get alittle more grip. 25-30 psi is ok to drive on and will give you just alittle more grip. But still this is no magica solution truth be told you just need to go out and mod alittle. A good place to start would be a K&N air filter at lest.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

IF you want to run race gas run U4, it's expensive but has 80% more oxygen per Lb of gas than regular 93 (and its 104 octane) it should help you edge out 10-20hp. BUt be carefull depending on how tired your motor is it could royally **** it up.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

Running 5psi less in a wide street tire will cause cupping, loss of traction, and is really pointless. Even the old timer guys who run repro poly-glas tires cut the best times at like 45 psi. I recommend keeping factory recommended pressure and keeping an even footprint unless you have DR's or slicks. Just my .02 and im sure someone will disapprove.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juiced
IF you want to run race gas run U4, it's expensive but has 80% more oxygen per Lb of gas than regular 93 (and its 104 octane) it should help you edge out 10-20hp. BUt be carefull depending on how tired your motor is it could royally **** it up.
Oh... you mean U4Ea. That's what you get from sniffing racing gas.

VP Racing Fuels U4 is:

U4
Used in stock and modified 4-stroke applications, as well as stock 2-strokes. Makes up to 6% more power than pump gas and any basic nonoxygenated racing fuel. Passes fuel rules for AMA amateur racing and is also perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. For optimum horsepower and performance, do not store this fuel in vehicle — drain fuel system.

• Color: Clear
• Motor Octane: 92
• Specific Gravity: .718 at 60° F

This fuel is still not going to help in his car without changing the tune, and it probably won't turn it into a race winner...

Save your money for hard parts and books that teach you how to select and use them.

Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Launching!

Hey you could make your own fuel too 4 gallons of 93 + 1 gallon of toluene or xylene and you have yourself i believe 98 or 99 octane. I forget the math on it at the moment but i used it in my grand prix again it won't help you any i used it to reduce knock on 15psi coming outta the ol' Heaton . Sure the hell won't give you 10-20hp that's for sure LOL only reason you'd see that is if your running way to much timing an getting a **** ton of knock.

Quick Reply: Race Gas, Stock lt1?